* Custom_ID problem with org-info.js display
@ 2009-04-20 23:54 Xin Shi
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-04-20 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Experts,

I've tried to use the new feature in 6.26a for custom IDs. Unfortunately, those
sections have the custom IDs won't show up properly in the javascript page. I
used the org-info.js(v.0.1.0.6).  I'm wondering if the orgmode.org web
administrator could use this new feature for one of the pages, such as

http://orgmode.org/Changes.html

So, that the link to each version will be something like:

http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#v6.25

And see if its sub-section still works on that page.

Thanks!

Xin

* Re: Custom_ID problem with org-info.js display
@ 2009-04-21  9:40 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sebastian still needs to fix org-info.js for the new setup.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-21 10:04 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-21 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

yes, my fault. I didn't get around to adjust org-info.js to the new
custom-ID feature. But this will happen tonight for sure. Sorry for the
delay.

The new version will be compatible with the ancient export.

Regards,

  Sebastian

Xin Shi <shixin111@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello Experts,
>
> I've tried to use the new feature in 6.26a for custom IDs. Unfortunately, those
> sections have the custom IDs won't show up properly in the javascript page. I
> used the org-info.js(v.0.1.0.6).  I'm wondering if the orgmode.org web
> administrator could use this new feature for one of the pages, such as
>
> http://orgmode.org/Changes.html
>
> So, that the link to each version will be something like:
>
> http://orgmode.org/Changes.html#v6.25
>
> And see if its sub-section still works on that page.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Xin

Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472
Fax:   +49 (0)1805 - 233633 - 11044
mobil: +49 (0)173 - 83 93 417
Email: s.rose@emma-stil.de, sebastian_rose@gmx.de
Http:  www.emma-stil.de

* Re: Custom_ID problem with org-info.js display
@ 2009-04-21 11:31 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-21 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

OK. Should work now.

Old human readable IDs in headline's anchors are still prefered.

Also, org-info.js is now minified (no obfuscation) to decrease the file
size by about 40%.

For those interested in hacking it, the plain org-info.js was moved to
org-info-src.js.

You may pull the script from the usual sources. E.g:

 http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git?a=blob_plain;f=code/org-info-js/org-info.js;hb=31f6317f2aaebe18ea8ec3a9e0a5b0426e062164

Best regards

@ 2009-04-21 12:19   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xin Shi

On Apr 21, 2009, at 1:31 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> OK. Should work now.
>
> Old human readable IDs in headline's anchors are still prefered.
>
> Also, org-info.js is now minified (no obfuscation) to decrease the
> file
> size by about 40%.
>
> For those interested in hacking it, the plain org-info.js was moved to
> org-info-src.js.
>

> You may pull the script from the usual sources. E.g:
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/Worg.git?a=blob_plain;f=code/org-info-js/org-info.js;hb=31f6317f2aaebe18ea8ec3a9e0a5b0426e062164

Hi Sebastian,

this looks great.  However:

Let's look at the first heading now in Changes.html:

<h2 id="v6.26"><a name="sec-1" id="sec-1"></a>Version 6.26 </h2>

As you can see, in this case, where there is a custom ID "v6.26" that
is used,
I have added "sec-1" as an anchor to the headline, just to make sure
that the full systemacs of sec-NN anchors remains available.

However, it seems that the link extraction commands "l" and "L" now
both access
the sec-1 name.  I believe it would be better, in this case, to use
v6.26.

- Carsten

* Re: Custom_ID problem with org-info.js display
@ 2009-04-21 14:16     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-04-21 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xin Shi

Hmm - the script supports two kinds of human readable IDs now. The old
ones (which where defined in the anchor inside the the headline), and
the new ones, which are now defined in the headlines 'id' property.

Which one is now to prefer?

What I did now, is to remove the regexp search at all (`^sec-') and
switched to prefer the ID in the anchor (to be backward compatible).

Is there a need for numeric `sec-x.x' IDs?

To put that in again is not a big deal.

   Sebastian

@ 2009-04-21 14:36       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xin Shi

On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:

> Hmm - the script supports two kinds of human readable IDs now. The old
> ones (which where defined in the anchor inside the the headline), and
> the new ones, which are now defined in the headlines 'id' property.
>
> Which one is now to prefer?
>
> What I did now, is to remove the regexp search at all (`^sec-') and
> switched to prefer the ID in the anchor (to be backward compatible).
>

> Is there a need for numeric `sec-x.x' IDs?

Yes, for all the headings that do not have a human readable ID.

> To put that in again is not a big deal.

Please do.  The algorithm could be:

Look at both the ID of the <h3> tag, and the anchors in the headline.
Take the first on in the combined list that does not match sec-x.x.
If none does, use the sec-... one.

- Carsten

@ 2009-04-21 23:55         ` Xin
From: Xin @ 2009-04-21 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten and Sebastian,

Thanks for your quick response!

The current solution is good for me.  :)

Xin

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Sebastian Rose wrote:
>

>> Hmm - the script supports two kinds of human readable IDs now. The old
>> ones (which where defined in the anchor inside the the headline), and
>> the new ones, which are now defined in the headlines 'id' property.
>>
>> Which one is now to prefer?
>>
>> What I did now, is to remove the regexp search at all (`^sec-') and
>> switched to prefer the ID in the anchor (to be backward compatible).
>>

>> Is there a need for numeric `sec-x.x' IDs?
>
> Yes, for all the headings that do not have a human readable ID.
>

>> To put that in again is not a big deal.
>
> Please do.  The algorithm could be:
>
> Look at both the ID of the <h3> tag, and the anchors in the headline.
> Take the first on in the combined list that does not match sec-x.x.
> If none does, use the sec-... one.
>
> - Carsten
>

>>   Sebastian
>>

>> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hi Sebastian,
>>>
>>> this looks great.  However:
>>>
>>> Let's look at the first heading now in Changes.html:

>>> <h2 id="v6.26"><a name="sec-1" id="sec-1"></a>Version 6.26 </h2>
>>>
>>> As you can see, in this case, where there is a custom ID "v6.26"
>>> that is used,
>>> I have added "sec-1" as an anchor to the headline, just to make sure
>>> that the
>>> full systemacs of sec-NN anchors remains available.
>>>
>>> However, it seems that the link extraction commands "l" and "L" now
>>> both access
>>> the sec-1 name.  I believe it would be better, in this case, to use
>>> v6.26.
>>>
>>> - Carsten

* A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-04-22  0:05     ` Xin
From: Xin @ 2009-04-22  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello Experts,

I'm wondering if it's possible to implement some special character for
displaying math in HTML in addition to the already well performed greek
letter.  For example, 35 ± 5 can be written as 35 \pm 5, which in the
html correspond to &plusmn, etc.   See this page:

 http://comers.citadel.edu/math_sym2005.htm

Thanks!

Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-04-22 12:21       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-22 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Xin wrote:

> Hello Experts,
>
> I'm wondering if it's possible to implement some special character
> for displaying math in HTML in addition to the already well
> performed greek letter.  For example, 35 ± 5 can be written as 35
> \pm 5, which in the html correspond to &plusmn, etc.   See this page:
>
> http://comers.citadel.edu/math_sym2005.htm

That exact table lists &plusmn; as the way to write
this symbol, which is why \plusmn does work in Org.
However, since Org is LaTeX based for symbols like this,
I agree that \pm should work, and it will in the future.

The full list of these commands is in org-html-entities,
you are welcome to go through this list and point out omissions.

- Carsten

> Thanks!
>
> Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-04-22 14:21         ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-04-22 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols in
the manual.

Another question related to the Mark-up:

Is there any way to by pass the "+" mark-up except using space? The
reason is that I have a table like this:

| D^{+}\to K^{-}\pi^{+}\pi^{+}     | 44120 \plusmn 211     | 43800
\plusmn 210     | +0.7% (+1.5\sigma)|

The above will have several "punch through line". If I use space
surround the "+", the output looks not as tight as as one symbol ...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Xin

Carsten Dominik wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Xin wrote:
>
>> Hello Experts,
>>
>> I'm wondering if it's possible to implement some special character
>> for displaying math in HTML in addition to the already well performed
>> greek letter.  For example, 35 ± 5 can be written as 35 \pm 5, which
>> in the html correspond to &plusmn, etc.   See this page:
>>
>> http://comers.citadel.edu/math_sym2005.htm
>
> That exact table lists &plusmn; as the way to write
> this symbol, which is why \plusmn does work in Org.
> However, since Org is LaTeX based for symbols like this,
> I agree that \pm should work, and it will in the future.
>
> The full list of these commands is in org-html-entities,
> you are welcome to go through this list and point out omissions.
>
> - Carsten
>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-04-23  7:19           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-04-23  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols
> in the manual.
>
> Another question related to the Mark-up:
>
> Is there any way to by pass the "+" mark-up except using space? The
> reason is that I have a table like this:
>
> | D^{+}\to K^{-}\pi^{+}\pi^{+}     | 44120 \plusmn 211     | 43800
> \plusmn 210     | +0.7% (+1.5\sigma)|
>
> The above will have several "punch through line". If I use space
> surround the "+", the output looks not as tight as as one symbol ...
>
> Any suggestions?

You could customize `org-emphasis-regexp-components' and
remove the curly braces from the pre- and post-match sets.

- Carsten

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 10:30           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-06 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols
> in the manual.

Are you volunteering to make this table?  :-)

- Carsten

> Another question related to the Mark-up:
>
> Is there any way to by pass the "+" mark-up except using space? The
> reason is that I have a table like this:
>
> | D^{+}\to K^{-}\pi^{+}\pi^{+}     | 44120 \plusmn 211     | 43800
> \plusmn 210     | +0.7% (+1.5\sigma)|
>
> The above will have several "punch through line". If I use space
> surround the "+", the output looks not as tight as as one symbol ...
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Xin
>

> Carsten Dominik wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Xin wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Experts,
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if it's possible to implement some special character
>>> for displaying math in HTML in addition to the already well
>>> performed greek letter.  For example, 35 ± 5 can be written as 35
>>> \pm 5, which in the html correspond to &plusmn, etc.   See this
>>> page:
>>>
>>> http://comers.citadel.edu/math_sym2005.htm
>>
>> That exact table lists &plusmn; as the way to write
>> this symbol, which is why \plusmn does work in Org.
>> However, since Org is LaTeX based for symbols like this,
>> I agree that \pm should work, and it will in the future.
>>
>> The full list of these commands is in org-html-entities,
>> you are welcome to go through this list and point out omissions.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 13:08             ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-05-06 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>
>  Hi Carsten,
>>
>> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols in the
>> manual.
>>

> Are you volunteering to make this table?  :-)

Sure. I'll be glad to do that :)

Could you tell me the format and where to put the documents?

> - Carsten

Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 13:30               ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-06 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xin Shi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On May 6, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Xin Shi wrote:

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>
> Hi Carsten,
>
> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols
> in the manual.
>
> Are you volunteering to make this table?  :-)
>
> Sure. I'll be glad to do that :)
>
> Could you tell me the format and where to put the documents?

Maybe as a Worg page, so the format would be org-mode:

* Table of special symbol macros

  | Symbol | Org      | HTML      | LaTeX    |
  |--------+----------+-----------+----------|
  | \vert  | ~\vert~  | ~&vert;~  | ~\vert~  |
  | \alpha | ~\alpha~ | ~&alpha;~ | ~\alpha~ |

Note that HTML and LaTeX are not always the same word, only sometimes.
In org-html-entities you can see this by looking at entries which
are a cons cell, for example

("star" . "*") means "\star" in LaTeX, and "*" in HTML.

I think many of these symbols have never been tried, so exporting
this document to HTML and to LaTeX will be an interesting exercise
and probably help us fix some bugs.

Thanks!

- Carsten

> - Carsten
>

> Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 15:35                 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xin Shi

To looup rarely used HTML-symbols, take a look at

   http://www-atm.physics.ox.ac.uk/user/iwi/charmap.html

(not sure where I got the link from - maybe from this list/thread?)

Best wishes

     Sebastian

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 15:37                 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-05-06 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Xin Shi

Forgot to say:

It's always a good idea to use the unicode entity notations in (X)HTML,
since you will not get an error `undefined entity...'

Example:

  Use `&#160;' instead of `&nbsp;'

Regards

  Sebastian

> On May 6, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
>>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols in the
>> manual.
>>
>> Are you volunteering to make this table?  :-)
>>
>> Sure. I'll be glad to do that :)
>>
>> Could you tell me the format and where to put the documents?
>

> Maybe as a Worg page, so the format would be org-mode:
>
> * Table of special symbol macros
>
>  | Symbol | Org      | HTML      | LaTeX    |
>  |--------+----------+-----------+----------|
>  | \vert  | ~\vert~  | ~&vert;~  | ~\vert~  |
>  | \alpha | ~\alpha~ | ~&alpha;~ | ~\alpha~ |
>

> Note that HTML and LaTeX are not always the same word, only sometimes.
> In org-html-entities you can see this by looking at entries which
> are a cons cell, for example
>
> ("star" . "*") means "\star" in LaTeX, and "*" in HTML.
>
> I think many of these symbols have never been tried, so exporting
> this document to HTML and to LaTeX will be an interesting exercise
> and probably help us fix some bugs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Carsten
>

>> - Carsten
>>

>> Xin

* Re: A Mark-up rule question
@ 2009-05-06 15:41                   ` Xin Shi
From: Xin Shi @ 2009-05-06 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastian Rose; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten and Sebastian,

Thanks for your suggestions!

It seems the choice of unicode or not  is up to the developer for coding
that part. For documentation purpose only,  I would prefer to have a first
draft of character table which only contains two columns on Worg page:

  | Symbol  | Org       |
  |---------+-----------+
  | \nbsp   | ~\nbsp~   |
  | \iexcl  | ~\iexcl~  |
  | \cent   | ~\cent~   |

Is that OK?

Xin

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de>wrote:

> Forgot to say:
>
> It's always a good idea to use the unicode entity notations in (X)HTML,
> since you will not get an error `undefined entity...'
>
> Example:
>
>  Use `&#160;' instead of `&nbsp;'
>

> Regards
>
>  Sebastian
>
> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
> > On May 6, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
> >

> >> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM, Carsten Dominik <
> carsten.dominik@gmail.com
> >>
> >> On Apr 22, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Xin Shi wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Carsten,
> >>
> >> That's great! It would be nice that we document all of this symbols in
> the
> >> manual.
> >>
> >> Are you volunteering to make this table?  :-)
> >>
> >> Sure. I'll be glad to do that :)
> >>
> >> Could you tell me the format and where to put the documents?
> >

> > Maybe as a Worg page, so the format would be org-mode:
> >
> > * Table of special symbol macros
> >
> >  | Symbol | Org      | HTML      | LaTeX    |
> >  |--------+----------+-----------+----------|
> >  | \vert  | ~\vert~  | ~&vert;~  | ~\vert~  |
> >  | \alpha | ~\alpha~ | ~&alpha;~ | ~\alpha~ |
> >

> > Note that HTML and LaTeX are not always the same word, only sometimes.
> > In org-html-entities you can see this by looking at entries which
> > are a cons cell, for example
> >
> > ("star" . "*") means "\star" in LaTeX, and "*" in HTML.
> >
> > I think many of these symbols have never been tried, so exporting
> > this document to HTML and to LaTeX will be an interesting exercise
> > and probably help us fix some bugs.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Carsten
> >

> >> - Carsten