* How to insert apostrophe (') into code and verbatim text?
@ 2010-02-04 16:48 Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2010-02-04 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Here's an easy one for the guru's, why does an apostrophe at the beginning of a =code= not work? When I export the following text to HTML, the "'life" variable isn't set as code (and the = symbols show up):

	Select ='life= for the x variable.

If I escape the apostrophe, I course get back the escape character in the HTML:

    	Select =\'life= for the x variable.

--
--Thanks!
Uriel

* Re: How to insert apostrophe (') into code and verbatim text?
@ 2010-02-04 16:53 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-02-04 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's an easy one for the guru's, why does an apostrophe at the beginning of a =code= not work? When I export the following text to HTML, the "'life" variable isn't set as code (and the = symbols show up):
>
> 	Select ='life= for the x variable.
>
> If I escape the apostrophe, I course get back the escape character in the HTML:
>
>     	Select =\'life= for the x variable.

Emphasis is applied by matching against a regular expression stored in the variable
org-emph-re. I get

,----
| org-emph-re is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is
| "\\([ 	('\"{]\\|^\\)\\(\\([*/_=~+]\\)\\([^
\n,\"']\\|[^
\n,\"'].*?\\(?:\n.*?\\)\\{0,1\\}[^
\n,\"']\\)\\3\\)\\([- 	.,:!?;'\")}\\]\\|$\\)"

| Documentation:
| Regular expression for matching emphasis.
`----

which is way too complicated for my simple mind to wrap around without
some guidance. But the doc for org-export-with-emphasize says:

,----
| org-export-with-emphasize is a variable defined in `org-exp.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means, interpret *word*, /word/, and _word_ as emphasized text.
| If the export target supports emphasizing text, the word will be
| typeset in bold, italic, or underlined, respectively.  Works only for
| single words, but you can say: I *really* *mean* *this*.
| Not all export backends support this.
|
| This option can also be set with the +OPTIONS line, e.g. "*:nil".
`----

so *words* are emphasized[1].

Can you write

 	Select '=life= for the x variable.

instead? The quote is not part of the <code> block, but does that
make much difference? And if it does, a little postprocessing on the
HTML might be all that is needed[2].

HTH,
Nick

[1] although after staring at it for a while and with the hindsight
provided by the org-export-with-emphasize doc, the part that goes [^ 	^M\n,\"']
specifically excludes spaces, tabs, carriage returns, newlines,
commas, double quotes and single quotes as components of words.

[2] You might try changing the RE (it is constructed in
org.el:org-set-emph-re()) - but regular expressions are very unforgiving
beasts: you forget one character or add one too many and the whole thing
goes to hell in a handbasket, faster than a bat out of hell - choose
your own cliche' :-)

* Re: How to insert apostrophe (') into code and verbatim text?
@ 2010-02-04 17:31 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-04 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Feb 4, 2010, at 5:48 PM, Uriel Avalos wrote:

> Here's an easy one for the guru's, why does an apostrophe at the
> beginning of a =code= not work? When I export the following text to
> HTML, the "'life" variable isn't set as code (and the = symbols show
> up):
>
> 	Select ='life= for the x variable.
>
> If I escape the apostrophe, I course get back the escape character
> in the HTML:
>
>    	Select =\'life= for the x variable.

That is because '=life=' was considered more likely than what you are
using.
Org-mode is using a heuristic method to figure out what is a normal
equal sign, and what introduces code.  Feel free to play with the
variable `org-emphasis-regexp-components' and see if you can come up
with something that works for you.

- Carsten

* Re: How to insert apostrophe (') into code and verbatim text?
@ 2010-02-05 15:07     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-02-05 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uriel Avalos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Uriel Avalos <amscopub-mail@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So I guess it's too complicated for the gurus. :-)
>
> I'm already doing '=life= but I thought perhaps there was a quick hack
> to get ='life= to work. Oh well, not a biggie, life moves on...

Too complicated for me, perhaps: I'm no guru :-)

Carsten had a suggestion of playing around with the various components
of the RE (see the variable org-emphasis-regexp-components) - did you
see that? But you will have to experiment and set them for *your*
purposes.

Cheers,
Nick

* Re: How to insert apostrophe (') into code and verbatim text?
@ 2010-02-05 16:09   ` Uriel Avalos
From: Uriel Avalos @ 2010-02-05 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

So I guess it's too complicated for the gurus. :-)

I'm already doing '=life= but I thought perhaps there was a quick hack to get ='life= to work. Oh well, not a biggie, life moves on...

--
--Thanks!
Uriel