* Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-02 23:28 Dave Taht
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Taht @ 2011-01-02 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have been an avid user of org-mode for over 2 years now.

It has grown increasingly painful to exit emacs to use anything else!
Recently I found that making the jump to web-search-space was bothering
me...

So over the holiday I wrote a command line web search client with an
emacs interface and called it "gnugol". It uses the google json and bing
json APIs to search the web, and outputs the results in plain text, in
whatever format you're working in, notably, org, so you can navigate the
results in the mind-set you're in.

Gnugol is small, fast, simple, and growing more useful by the day. (I
wrote the doc (http://gnugol.taht.net) for it in org-mode, too)

It's not fully baked yet, but it's usable/reliable enough to have
plausible promise for other org-mode users, so I'm announcing it today,
here, in the hope I'll get comments, criticism, and patches.(especially,
patches! I'm not much of an elisp hacker, and a full on in-org interface
is thus far beyond me)

Installation instructions:

gnugol compiles on various linuxen (tested on debian/ubuntu x86, arm,
x86_64) and OSX

If you are using debian, you should be able to obtain almost all the
dependencies by doing a:

sudo apt-get install curl-dev

Regrettably, the json library jansson does not have a debian package yet
(at least on my distro), so you need to download and build it
separately. The git version has API changes that I haven't grokked yet,
so get version 1.3 from:

http://www.digip.org/jansson/

And go through the standard ./configure && make && make install # process

And for gnugol itself:

git clone git://github.com/dtaht/Gnugol.git
cd Gnugol
make; sudo make install

Copy the src/lisp/gnugol.el into your ~/.emacs.d directory and put a
(require 'gnugol) into your .emacs...

At the command line:

$ gnugol keywords to search for

In Emacs, esc-x gnugol<ret> phrase to look for

Example output:

# note, wrapped by my mail client, not gnugol
d@cruithne:~/src/gnugol$ gnugol org-mode search engine

** [[http://orgmode.org/worg/blorgit.php][Blorgit: Org-Mode based, git
amenable, blogging engine]]
   Blorgit is a blogging engine which uses Org-Mode for markup, runs on
the Search The search bar compares your search terms as a perl-style
regular
**
[[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/advanced-searching.php][Advanced
searching - Org-Mode]]
   For querying a collection of org files, Org-mode includes a powerful
built
** [[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-mac-maillink.php][Org Link
-- create Org-mode hyperlinks to Entourage mail messages]]
   The default is "copy-org-link". Then enter the exact key combination
that
**
[[http://metajack.im/2009/01/01/journaling-with-emacs-orgmode/][Journaling
with Emacs OrgMode]]
   Jan 1, 2009 (interactive) (switch-to-buffer (find-file
org-journal-file)) (widen) (let (( today a real-time search engine for
the Web, and Chesspark,
** [[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode][EmacsWiki: Org Mode]]
   Aug 9, 2010 Lisp:org-mairix.el integrates Org mode with mairix email
search. outline-magic. el Google's Code Hosting feature has a new wiki
engine.

... Submitted in the hope that this might be useful and interesting... enjoy

--
Dave Taht
http://nex-6.taht.net

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-03  5:00 ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2011-01-03  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht, emacs-orgmode

Hi Dave,

I have tried to download the git source of gnugol and compile it.

Running into a few issues at the moment:  I did download and build the
jansson library which is installed in /usr/local

However when I run gnugol I'm seeing the following error:

Errors: google(1): ../engines/google.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
google: failed to acquire shared lib

Warnings:google(1): Not in default location, error: libjansson.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

bart@zig:~/src/Gnugol$

I have the *.so files from gnugol in the default place that the makefile
puts them, /var/lib/gnugol.  I also tried simlinking them into
/usr/local/lib but this doesn't appear to make any difference.

The error also suggests that the janson library isn't being found.

Although the ldd output doesn't appear to list it?

$ which gnugol
/usr/local/bin/gnugol
bart@zig:~/src/Gnugol$ ldd /usr/local/bin/gnugol
	linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffab5ff000)
	libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => /usr/lib/libcurl-gnutls.so.4 (0x00007f8c9eccc000)
	libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f8c9eac8000)
	libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00007f8c9e744000)
	libidn.so.11 => /usr/lib/libidn.so.11 (0x00007f8c9e511000)
	liblber-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/liblber-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f8c9e303000)
	libldap_r-2.4.so.2 => /usr/lib/libldap_r-2.4.so.2 (0x00007f8c9e0b7000)
	librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x00007f8c9deae000)
	libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2 (0x00007f8c9dc79000)
	libz.so.1 => /lib/libz.so.1 (0x00007f8c9da60000)
	libgnutls.so.26 => /usr/lib/libgnutls.so.26 (0x00007f8c9d7bf000)
	libgcrypt.so.11 => /lib/libgcrypt.so.11 (0x00007f8c9d545000)
	/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f8c9ef44000)
	libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x00007f8c9d329000)
	libsasl2.so.2 => /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2 (0x00007f8c9d10f000)
	libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f8c9cef1000)
	libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0x00007f8c9cc2c000)
	libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x00007f8c9ca05000)
	libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x00007f8c9c801000)
	libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/lib/libkrb5support.so.0 (0x00007f8c9c5f8000)
	libtasn1.so.3 => /usr/lib/libtasn1.so.3 (0x00007f8c9c3e7000)
	libgpg-error.so.0 => /lib/libgpg-error.so.0 (0x00007f8c9c1e3000)
	libkeyutils.so.1 => /lib/libkeyutils.so.1 (0x00007f8c9bfdf000)
bart@zig:~/src/Gnugol$

I'm running the current unstable ubuntu branch natty.  It also appears
to have no package for janson.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers

Bart

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 15:28:00 -0800, Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> wrote:
> [...]
> ** [[http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/org-mac-maillink.php][Org Link
> -- create Org-mode hyperlinks to Entourage mail messages]]
>    The default is "copy-org-link". Then enter the exact key combination
> that
> **
> [[http://metajack.im/2009/01/01/journaling-with-emacs-orgmode/][Journaling
> with Emacs OrgMode]]
>    Jan 1, 2009 (interactive) (switch-to-buffer (find-file
> org-journal-file)) (widen) (let (( today a real-time search engine for
> the Web, and Chesspark,
> ** [[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/OrgMode][EmacsWiki: Org Mode]]
>    Aug 9, 2010 Lisp:org-mairix.el integrates Org mode with mairix email
> search. outline-magic. el Google's Code Hosting feature has a new wiki
> engine.
>
> ... Submitted in the hope that this might be useful and interesting... enjoy

Bart Bunting

URSYS Pty. Ltd
13 Burwood Rd.  Burwood  NSW  2134  Australia
Ph.           +61 2 8745 2811
Fax          +61 2 8745 2828

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-04  9:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-01-04  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Dave,

Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:

> Gnugol is small, fast, simple, and growing more useful by the day. (I
> wrote the doc (http://gnugol.taht.net) for it in org-mode, too)

Looks interesting!

> It's not fully baked yet, but it's usable/reliable enough to have
> plausible promise for other org-mode users, so I'm announcing it today,
> here, in the hope I'll get comments, criticism, and patches.(especially,
> patches! I'm not much of an elisp hacker, and a full on in-org interface
> is thus far beyond me)
>
> Installation instructions:

I'm using ArchLinux.  I installed jansson from `yaourt -S jansson',
jansson compiles fine.  I then looked for curl-dev but couldn't find
it in ArchLinux.

I cloned the last git repo of Gnugol and tried to compile it but I get
this error:

,----
| ../engines/engines.o: In function `gnugol_try_openlib':
| /home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src/engines/engines.c:21: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
| /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlopen.o): In function `dlopen':
| (.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `__dlopen'
| /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlclose.o): In function `dlclose':
| (.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__dlclose'
| /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlsym.o): In function `dlsym':
| (.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `__dlsym'
| /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlerror.o): In function `dlerror':
| (.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__dlerror'
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| make[2]: *** [gnugol] Error 1
| make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src/clients'
| make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
| make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src'
| make: *** [all] Error 2
`----

Hope that helps,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-04  9:57   ` Manuel Hermenegildo
From: Manuel Hermenegildo @ 2011-01-04  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Dave Taht, emacs-orgmode

> Gnugol is small, fast, simple, and growing more useful by the day. (I
> wrote the doc (http://gnugol.taht.net) for it in org-mode, too)

I had no big problems compiling, etc. (on up-to-date Mac Os X). Just
had to change some permissions in the library after installation and
then it worked like a charm. Great package, Dave, thanks!!! --Manuel

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-04 10:06   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-01-04 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bart Bunting <bart@ursys.com.au> writes:
> Running into a few issues at the moment:  I did download and build the
> jansson library which is installed in /usr/local
>
> However when I run gnugol I'm seeing the following error:
>
> Errors: google(1): ../engines/google.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> google: failed to acquire shared lib
>
> Warnings:google(1): Not in default location, error: libjansson.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

You will either need to set up the DT_RUNPATH section in the executable
to point to where the library is installed or set up the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
environment variable to include the correct location.  The first option
requires to edit the linker invocation in the makefile, while the latter
is best done via a wrapper script that then calls the executable.

> I have the *.so files from gnugol in the default place that the makefile
> puts them, /var/lib/gnugol.  I also tried simlinking them into
> /usr/local/lib but this doesn't appear to make any difference.
>
> The error also suggests that the janson library isn't being found.
>
> Although the ldd output doesn't appear to list it?

Try 'ldd -v', if that also doesn't show anything, then most likely the
program itself dynamically loads new libraries at runtime (probably
after a fork).  Setting LD_TRACE_LOADED_OBJECTS (preferrably in a
wrapper script) to something non-empty should then give some ldd-like
output.

Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld:

* Re: Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-04 10:21     ` Bart Bunting
From: Bart Bunting @ 2011-01-04 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz, emacs-orgmode

Hi Achim,

I had made the silly mistake of not remembering to run ldconfig.  Once
this was done the janson libraries were found and gnugol started working
for me.

Apollogies I didn't get around to posting the fix/thing to remember
earlier.

Thank you very much though for the information, it has taught me several
things I didn't know about tracing things like this.

Cheers

Bart

@ 2011-01-04 19:11   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2011-01-04 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, spc

Hi Bastien,

On 01/04/2011 01:17 AM, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:
>
>> Gnugol is small, fast, simple, and growing more useful by the day. (I
>> wrote the doc (http://gnugol.taht.net) for it in org-mode, too)
>
> Looks interesting!

It's so awesome to have people trying this - my last project had 2 users
total....

>> Installation instructions:

A fix for one of the problems reported on this list (by bart, thx!) was
to make sure that the path

/usr/local/lib

was in /etc/ld.so.conf or in /etc/ld.so.conf.d and to run

sudo ldconfig

after installing libjannson.

I've updated the documentation to reflect his.

> I'm using ArchLinux.  I installed jansson from `yaourt -S jansson',
> jansson compiles fine.  I then looked for curl-dev but couldn't find
> it in ArchLinux.

If you got this far on the build, you probably have the curl-dev
dependency resolved via other means. libcurl-dev?

> I cloned the last git repo of Gnugol and tried to compile it but I get
> this error:

A small fix for one of the two utf-8 issues remaining got pushed out
yesterday. (again in response to a bug report - thx Max/sean)

The remaining utf-8 issue only (so far as I know) affects international
characters at the command line, not in emacs's gnugol.el, which both url
encodes utf8 and then shell escapes it before handing it to the shell.
(it however requires that emacs be in utf-8 mode in the first place)

I've added some site-specific searches to gnugol.el in the latest commits.

> ,----
> | ../engines/engines.o: In function `gnugol_try_openlib':
> | /home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src/engines/engines.c:21: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
> | /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlopen.o): In function `dlopen':
> | (.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `__dlopen'
> | /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlclose.o): In function `dlclose':
> | (.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__dlclose'
> | /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlsym.o): In function `dlsym':
> | (.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `__dlsym'
> | /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.5.1/../../../libdl.a(dlerror.o): In function `dlerror':
> | (.text+0x8): undefined reference to `__dlerror'
> | collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> | make[2]: *** [gnugol] Error 1
> | make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src/clients'
> | make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> | make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/guerry/install/git/Gnugol/src'
> | make: *** [all] Error 2

Regrettably I didn't write the dll code, and my gcc is at version 4.4.3
My guesses are that you need to specify some sort of "-dynamic" option
to gcc on your platform or specify the libdl shared object?

(there is no -dynamic option on gcc 4.4.3 however)

Do the other engines break as well? (make -k)

I've gnugold on your error message without being particularly
enlightened thus far.

> `----
>
> Hope that helps,

I expected teething problems. Will figure this one out soon. Thanks for
trying gnugol!

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-05  2:05     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2011-01-05  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, spc, Bastien

Hi Dave,

Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:

> On 01/04/2011 01:17 AM, Bastien wrote:

>> Looks interesting!
>
> It's so awesome to have people trying this - my last project had 2 users
> total....

I agree that this looks very interesting. Thanks!

>> I'm using ArchLinux.  I installed jansson from `yaourt -S jansson',
>> jansson compiles fine.  I then looked for curl-dev but couldn't find
>> it in ArchLinux.
>
> If you got this far on the build, you probably have the curl-dev
> dependency resolved via other means. libcurl-dev?

I believe that on Arch libcurl is included in the curl package.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-05  8:40     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2011-01-05  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:
> A fix for one of the problems reported on this list (by bart, thx!) was
> to make sure that the path
>
> /usr/local/lib
>
> was in /etc/ld.so.conf or in /etc/ld.so.conf.d and to run
>
> sudo ldconfig
>
> after installing libjannson.
>
> I've updated the documentation to reflect his.

That really shouldn't be necessary for locally built applications since
these already know where the libraries are installed.  In fact doing it
this way opens a potential security hole since now the dynamic loader
trusts libraries in /usr/local/lib/ and may prefer it over system
libraries for _all_ applications (you may or may not want this
behaviour, but in any case should be aware of it).

Better set up the correct runtime search path with an '-rpath=<dir>'
argument to the linker invocation for the install and you never need to
invoke ldconfig.  Anything installed in /usr/local shouldn't require
full administrator privileges and certainly not alter the system
behaviour.  That most Linux distributions don't make that distinction
between system and local applications anymore doesn't mean it's the
correct thing to do...

Achim.

* Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-06 17:06 ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2011-01-06 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:

> So over the holiday I wrote a command line web search client with an
> emacs interface and called it "gnugol". It uses the google json and bing
> json APIs to search the web, and outputs the results in plain text, in
> whatever format you're working in, notably, org, so you can navigate the
> results in the mind-set you're in.

[...]

On unrelated surfing (reddit), I ran into this:

http://surfraw.alioth.debian.org/

Do you think it's possible that your two powers combined, would make you
INVINCIBLE?

I don't know how much they dink with the return stream; it may be "not
at all", which would be inauspicious for a combination.  But if they're
doing any sort of output capture/filter, then adding an org-mode flavor
to the list might be really straightforward.

- Allen S. Rout

* Re: Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-06 18:19   ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-01-06 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allen S. Rout; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I'll see you're surfraw; and, I'll raise you a goosh:

http://goosh.org

---maybe gnugol could work with goosh somehow?
---works from an Emacs Shell/eshell too:

** Example/possibilities:
apt-get install surfraw
[[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "vvv")]]
[[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "ttt")]]
[[eshell:vvv:date]]
[[eshell:ttt:sr wikipedia goosh]]

---provided you have the new org-eshell.el

I agree with Allen; wow you could combine things! Good luck on gnugol and
thanks.

@ 2011-01-06 20:11     ` Konrad Hinsen
From: Konrad Hinsen @ 2011-01-06 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6 Jan 2011, at 19:19, brian powell wrote:

> ** Example/possibilities:
> apt-get install surfraw
> [[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "vvv")]]
> [[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "ttt")]]

There's no need for those two lines, because...

> [[eshell:vvv:date]]

... this one will create the eshell buffer vvv if it doesn't exist
already.

> [[eshell:ttt:sr wikipedia goosh]]

Same here.

Konrad.

* Re: Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-07 11:35       ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-01-07 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know--the "*eshell*" is not necessary too--its illustrative--its just an
example--showing that you could (using your new module) create
multiple asynchronous/coprocesses (in their own dedicated buffers) uniquely
named shells and maybe make calls out to goosh and use surfraw and/or gnugol
somehow.

And, many thanks to you too Konrad for your new org-eshell.el
module--hopefully more people will realize the possibilities of these great
tools.

Eshell has some unique properties that ought to be explored more.

@ 2011-01-08 17:21   ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2011-01-08 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 01/06/2011 09:06 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:
> Dave Taht <d@teklibre.org> writes:
>
>> So over the holiday I wrote a command line web search client with an
>> emacs interface and called it "gnugol". It uses the google json and bing
>> json APIs to search the web, and outputs the results in plain text, in
>> whatever format you're working in, notably, org, so you can navigate the
>> results in the mind-set you're in.
>
> [...]
>
> On unrelated surfing (reddit), I ran into this:
>
> http://surfraw.alioth.debian.org/

I credit surfraw with inspiration in my documentation (which is less
funny than theirs!). I've been using that - or something like it - for
years. I should get in touch with them.

My problem was more that

1) I've never got emacs's shells to display even simple applications
like elinks properly

2)  I remember questions as keywords and find the effort of bookmarking
the results too much

3) Going from the Emacs org (or markdown) UI to "webspace" is really
disconcerting for me. My fingers do emacs, my eyeballs like green on
white, and I'd actually like the results spoken aloud whenever I get
the latest emacspeak working...

I love getting the results back in an outline form - tab to expand - I'd
like to add something like org-keys...

4) And gnugol is FAST.

Innumerable other advantages detailed on the web site and doc.

> Do you think it's possible that your two powers combined, would make you
> INVINCIBLE?

No. :/ It would be helpful, however, to come up with marginally better
search of any sort in the general case. This week I prototyped an
interface to stackoverflow (and got a little snarky about the issue in a
blog entry: http://nex-6.taht.net/posts/Screen_Space/ ). Sean Conner and
Brian Clapper been improving the C code considerably.
Not so much work on the elisp. :(

Do do a git pull and build regularly and have a look at the git log for
details.

The positive feedback, help, &  interesting ideas, so far, have been
wonderful.

> I don't know how much they dink with the return stream; it may be "not
> at all", which would be inauspicious for a combination.  But if they're

They don't. They do support 100+ engines however, and can be very useful.

> doing any sort of output capture/filter, then adding an org-mode flavor
> to the list might be really straightforward.

I see centralized search devolving to the point to where we do need end
user filtering - not just anti-spam techniques but also bayesnian
filtering, and reputation servers, and white/blacklists to improve the
quality. There's been a lot of discussion of the recent decline in
google's results on various forums of late.

I've been finding the bing support more useful than I thought.

@ 2011-01-08 17:42     ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2011-01-08 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 01/06/2011 10:19 AM, brian powell wrote:
> I'll see you're surfraw; and, I'll raise you a goosh:
>
> http://goosh.org

Cute!

> ---maybe gnugol could work with goosh somehow?

Not unless it went green on white!

> ---works from an Emacs Shell/eshell too:
>
> ** Example/possibilities:
> apt-get install surfraw
> [[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "vvv")]]
> [[eshell:*eshell*:(rename-buffer "ttt")]]
> [[eshell:vvv:date]]
> [[eshell:ttt:sr wikipedia goosh]]

I see where you are going with this and I like it. One conceptual
problem here is the meta-data format. Shell commmand line has the idea
of argument separators as spaces and strings. Although utf-8 almost
works well at the command line, I would have liked it if unicode had
given programmers their own glyph and character set to work in, so we
wouldn't have to go so crazy escaping the concepts that we'd wedged into
ASCII in the 80s.

BUT html/xml have a totally different concept of metadata than that, as
does org-mode...

json comes close to being a command line format that could be parsed
using conventional piping/filters.

In the beginning I thought I'd have gnugol output Lisp forms and the
interface be more like bbdb.  There is a pretty clean json parser for
emacs however, and I've been thinking of using that.

> ---provided you have the new org-eshell.el

I didn't know this existed, cool, I'll fiddle.

* Re: Re: Introducing gnugol - an org-mode-output web search client
@ 2011-01-08 18:12     ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2011-01-08 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 01/08/2011 09:21 AM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On 01/06/2011 09:06 AM, Allen S. Rout wrote:

> 3) Going from the Emacs org (or markdown) UI to "webspace" is really
> disconcerting for me. My fingers do emacs, my eyeballs like green on
> white,
Correction:

green on *black*... the white of most web pages is so mentally dazzling
it even drowns out my ability to type the word, "black"...

So while I'm on this subject is there a good way to good way to match
the org-mode emacs color theme with the html output?