From: Manuel Hermenegildo <herme@fi.upm.es>
To: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: done-ing a repeating scheduled task now inserts closed timestamp?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 19:25:28 +0100	[thread overview]

Sorry for the pause (I was pretty busy last week):

 > Another idea to get this:
 >
 > Turn on state change notes or at least time stamps.  Either globally,
 > or locally for this entry with a LOGGING property:
 >
 > ** TODO Check backups
 >      SCHEDULED: <2009-03-05 Thu 11:00 +2d>
 >     :PROPERTIES:
 >     :LOGGING: DONE(!)
 >     :END:
 >
 > (yes, scheduled, thanks Bernt...)
 > Then each time you go through the DONE state, a time stamp
 > will be recorded like this (I am assuming that you have
 > org-log-into-drawer set...)
 >
 > ** TODO Check backups
 >     SCHEDULED: <2009-04-28 Tue 11:00 +2d>
 >     :LOGBOOK:
 >     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-03-04 Wed 14:25]
 >     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-03-02 Mon 14:25]
 >     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-02-28 Sat 14:25]
 >     - State "DONE"       from "TODO"       [2009-02-26 Thu 14:25]
 >     :END:
 >     :PROPERTIES:
 >     :LOGGING:  DONE(!)
 >
 > In the agenda, if you press `C-u l', these state notes
 > will become visible.
 >
 > I believe this will take care of it, right??

Yes, this is much closer than what one would like.  And having those
"done states" together could be useful.

However, I have to say that though that after trying to adapt to these
settings I cannot bend my mind to find the behavior comfortable,
specially comparing to how normal tasks work.

For me it is confusing that when I do "t" on such a task it goes to
"DONE" as I would expect (i.e., like a normal TODO task) but when I
refresh the agenda it disappears (unlike normal DONE tasks, at least
with my settings --I use archiving to make done tasks disappear and
"v" to toggle viewing archived tasks).  Actually, I think it goes to
DONE only for the first repeat, for the following repeats it stays as
TODO, at least with my settings.

I guess I can use org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done to get the
non-repeating tasks to disappear also when marked as done (so that
there is more orthogonality) but, again, it will only work if I
remember to use "SCHEDULED" for them, and, also, I do not want them to
disappear yet! ;-)

Also, I feel I have to remember too many things for, say, a simple
weekly meeting: a) putting SCHEDULED, b) setting the properties, c)
making sure org-log-into-drawer is set, etc.  Ideally any simple TODO
entry with a repeating timestamp should behave well when marked as
done, right?

 > to me this sounds like a pretty convincing argument *not*
 > to copy entries...

Yes, I guess this is a problem (although in my case all repeating
entries --which are regular meetings, classes, birthdays, etc.-- are
typically one liners so it would not make a difference if they were
copied...).

Sorry to insist, but I still think copying the tasks would produce a
more orthogonal behavior. Perhaps it could be made optional?

Man

 Manuel Hermenegildo                     | Prof., C.S.Dept., T.U. Madrid (UPM)
 Director, IMDEA-Software and CLIP Group | +34-91-336-7435 (W) -352-4819 (Fax)