From: Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Spike Spiegel <fsmlab@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: scheduled item taking time from inactive time stamp
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:37:08 +0000	[thread overview]

Spike Spiegel writes:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > It's because I sometimes want to sort entries according to date/time
> > of creation as opposed to date/time of actual activity performed.  I
> > can work around this without difficulty, I think, so thanks all again
> > for all the input!
>
> Mind sharing how? because I had the some problem and so far have no
> solution. I'm new to emacs and orgmode and learning elisp is taking me
> some time, but ultimately I see no way of doing that without having a
> property CREATED and then sorting functions able to account for it.

I guess I worded my answer badly.  I am working around this by
including both time and date in an inactive time stamp (%U) but making
sure that, if I subsequently schedule the item, I specify a time
explicitly in the active time stamp.  This seems to override the time
in the inactive time stamp.

Although not ideal for those tasks that need not be scheduled for a
specific time, it works.  When specifying a scheduled time really
doesn't make much sense, I simply put either 8:00, so that they appear
first in my day schedule, or 19:00 which makes them appear last,
giving me a simple priority view of the tasks.  For overdue tasks, the
time in either the active or inactive time stamps is ignored,
appearing simply as Sched. Nx.

So, my solution is to avoid the problem, being inherently lazy...

If anybody else has a better solution, please do let me know!

Hope this helps.

eric
--
NL Professor Eric S Fraga, Chemical Engineering, University College London