* org-babel source code :fonts serif not working
@ 2015-03-26  2:14 Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-03-26  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following code does not produce image with serif fonts for me. It used to work earlier but it seems the behaviour has changed. Could anyone confirm.

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results output graphics :exports results :file filename.png :width 1200 :height 700 :fonts serif
 <<R code here to produce a graph>>
#+END_SRC

Org-version: Org-mode version 8.3beta (release_8.3beta-688-g44744b @ /Users/vikas/.emacs.d/src/org-mode/lisp/)

Vikas

* Re: org-babel source code :fonts serif not working
@ 2015-03-26 18:15 ` Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-03-26 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Vikas Rawal wrote:

> The following code does not produce image with serif fonts for me. It
> used to work earlier but it seems the behaviour has changed. Could
> anyone confirm.

AFAICS, it does not work in R.

FWIW, the code that Babel sends to R is (after some formatting):

#+BEGIN_SRC R
   png(filename="filename.png",width=1200,height=700,fonts="serif")
   tryCatch({
   <<<< your plot goes here >>>>
   },
            error=function(e){
                plot(x=-1:1, y=-1:1, type='n', xlab='', ylab='',
axes=FALSE)
                text(x=0, y=0, labels=e$message, col='red')
                paste('ERROR', e$message, sep=' : ')})
   dev.off()
#+END_SRC

If you can get that or something like to work in R, report back here.

Otherwise take this to one of the R lists.

Also, I note that the filename "filename.png" seems troublesome even apart
from the font issue. I do not have time to run down why that might be.

Chuck

@ 2015-03-27  1:25   ` Vikas Rawal
From: Vikas Rawal @ 2015-03-27  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>  png(filename="filename.png",width=1200,height=700,fonts="serif")
>  tryCatch({
>  <<<< your plot goes here >>>>
>  },
>           error=function(e){
>               plot(x=-1:1, y=-1:1, type='n', xlab='', ylab='', axes=FALSE)
>               text(x=0, y=0, labels=e$message, col='red')
>               paste('ERROR', e$message, sep=' : ')})
>  dev.off()
> #+END_SRC
>
> If you can get that or something like to work in R, report back here.

Thanks for the pointer. It is an issue with the graphics device being used.

Using cairo and family (instead of fonts) works for me:

#+BEGIN_SRC R :results output graphics :exports results :file filename.png :width 1200 :height 700 :type cairo :family serif