* Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-06-22 16:54 Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-06-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Carsten,

I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays the
task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and then
switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds the
entire thing including the drawers.

Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm doing
as a workaround right now.

While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide detail
scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for repeated
tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file (such as
my weekly review checklist :) ).

Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW ALL
from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda it
expands everything including the drawers.

Thanks,
Bernt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-06-22 20:13 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-06-22 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

[replying to my own post]

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays the
> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and then
> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds the
> entire thing including the drawers.
>
> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm doing
> as a workaround right now.
>
> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide detail
> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for repeated
> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file (such as
> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>
> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW ALL
> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda it
> expands everything including the drawers.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernt

This seems to have been a confused Emacs session on my part.  After
restarting it no longer behaves as described above (it doesn't expand
tasks past the headline by default -- which is the old behaviour I
remember)

My Emacs was definitely behaving weird - C-x o would cycle from the
agenda, to the org file, to the message window, then back to the agenda
with 2 windows open (and the message buffer).  After restarting emacs it
just cycles between the agenda and the org file (as expected).

Sorry for the noise,

-Bernt

* Re: Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-06-22 21:56   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-06-22 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:

> [replying to my own post]

> This seems to have been a confused Emacs session on my part.  After
> restarting it no longer behaves as described above (it doesn't expand
> tasks past the headline by default -- which is the old behaviour I
> remember)
>
> My Emacs was definitely behaving weird - C-x o would cycle from the
> agenda, to the org file, to the message window, then back to the agenda
> with 2 windows open (and the message buffer).  After restarting emacs it
> just cycles between the agenda and the org file (as expected).

That often happens to me when I have a half-finished command in the
minibuffer and I switch to another window and start on something else
(at least, I *think* that's what happens - it's not intentional on my
part, so it's hard to tell exactly what the heck I was doing. And
speaking about that, I just remembered that there is a help command,
``C-h l'', that shows the last few hundred keystrokes, so it might be
possible to use that to figure out what I was doing.)

The cure usually involves

          M-x top-level

which exits from all recursive editing levels and all active
minibuffers.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-06-22 22:45     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-06-22 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> writes:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> wrote:
>
>> [replying to my own post]

>> This seems to have been a confused Emacs session on my part.  After
>> restarting it no longer behaves as described above (it doesn't expand
>> tasks past the headline by default -- which is the old behaviour I
>> remember)
>>
>> My Emacs was definitely behaving weird - C-x o would cycle from the
>> agenda, to the org file, to the message window, then back to the agenda
>> with 2 windows open (and the message buffer).  After restarting emacs it
>> just cycles between the agenda and the org file (as expected).
>>

> That often happens to me when I have a half-finished command in the
> minibuffer and I switch to another window and start on something else
> (at least, I *think* that's what happens - it's not intentional on my
> part, so it's hard to tell exactly what the heck I was doing. And
> speaking about that, I just remembered that there is a help command,
> ``C-h l'', that shows the last few hundred keystrokes, so it might be
> possible to use that to figure out what I was doing.)
>
> The cure usually involves
>
>           M-x top-level
>
> which exits from all recursive editing levels and all active
> minibuffers.

Thanks Nick!

If it happens again I'll try this out.

-Bernt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 14:11   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-05 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:

>> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays the
>> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
>> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and then
>> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds the
>> entire thing including the drawers.
>>
>> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
>> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm doing
>> as a workaround right now.
>>
>> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
>> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide detail
>> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for repeated
>> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file (such as
>> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>>
>> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
>> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW ALL
>> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda it
>> expands everything including the drawers.
>>
> This seems to have been a confused Emacs session on my part.  After
> restarting it no longer behaves as described above (it doesn't expand
> tasks past the headline by default -- which is the old behaviour I
> remember)
>
> My Emacs was definitely behaving weird - C-x o would cycle from the
> agenda, to the org file, to the message window, then back to the agenda
> with 2 windows open (and the message buffer).  After restarting emacs it
> just cycles between the agenda and the org file (as expected).

Resurrecting an old thread:

Bernt: I'm experiencing the issue you describe above (i.e., drawers
revealed when following a headline from the agenda) after restarting
emacs. I have not been able to solve the problem.

I was wondering if you had customized the variables org-show-entry-below
and org-show-hierarchy-above? I have not customized these variables,
which makes it even more unusual that the drawers are revealed when
following a headline from the agenda, since the default for
org-show-entry-below is nil.

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 14:31 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bernt Hansen; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:

> Hi Carsten,
>
> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays the
> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and then
> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds the
> entire thing including the drawers.
>
> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm
> doing
> as a workaround right now.
>
> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide detail
> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for
> repeated
> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file (such as
> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>
> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW
> ALL
> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda it
> expands everything including the drawers.

I actually think it is a bug that drawer contents are shown in this way,
so I fixed it instead of giving control over it.

- Carsten

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 14:34     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-05 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 5, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca> writes:
>
>>> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays
>>> the
>>> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
>>> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and
>>> then
>>> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds
>>> the
>>> entire thing including the drawers.
>>>
>>> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
>>> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm
>>> doing
>>> as a workaround right now.
>>>
>>> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
>>> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide
>>> detail
>>> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for
>>> repeated
>>> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file
>>> (such as
>>> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>>>
>>> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
>>> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as
>>> SHOW ALL
>>> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda
>>> it
>>> expands everything including the drawers.
>>>
>> This seems to have been a confused Emacs session on my part.  After
>> restarting it no longer behaves as described above (it doesn't expand
>> tasks past the headline by default -- which is the old behaviour I
>> remember)
>>
>> My Emacs was definitely behaving weird - C-x o would cycle from the
>> agenda, to the org file, to the message window, then back to the
>> agenda
>> with 2 windows open (and the message buffer).  After restarting
>> emacs it
>> just cycles between the agenda and the org file (as expected).
>
> Resurrecting an old thread:
>
> Bernt: I'm experiencing the issue you describe above (i.e., drawers
> revealed when following a headline from the agenda) after restarting
> emacs. I have not been able to solve the problem.
>
> I was wondering if you had customized the variables org-show-entry-
> below
> and org-show-hierarchy-above? I have not customized these variables,
> which makes it even more unusual that the drawers are revealed when
> following a headline from the agenda, since the default for
> org-show-entry-below is nil.

The agenda often exposes the cause for the appearance in
the agenda (exception: properties), so if this is a
scheduled item, the scheduled timestamp is in the entry
text below the headline, which is why the content of the
entry is shown.

- Carsten

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 14:41     ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2009-07-05 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Bernt: I'm experiencing the issue you describe above (i.e., drawers
> revealed when following a headline from the agenda) after restarting
> emacs. I have not been able to solve the problem.
>
> I was wondering if you had customized the variables org-show-entry-below
> and org-show-hierarchy-above? I have not customized these variables,
> which makes it even more unusual that the drawers are revealed when
> following a headline from the agenda, since the default for
> org-show-entry-below is nil.

I have org-show-entry-below as ((default))

and org-show-hierarchy-above as t

-Bernt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 15:13       ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-05 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, Carsten Dominik, Matthew Lundin, emacs-orgmode

> On Jul 5, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
>>
>> Resurrecting an old thread:
>>
>> Bernt: I'm experiencing the issue you describe above (i.e., drawers
>> revealed when following a headline from the agenda) after restarting
>> emacs. I have not been able to solve the problem.
>>
>> I was wondering if you had customized the variables org-show-entry-
>> below
>> and org-show-hierarchy-above? I have not customized these variables,
>> which makes it even more unusual that the drawers are revealed when
>> following a headline from the agenda, since the default for
>> org-show-entry-below is nil.
>
> The agenda often exposes the cause for the appearance in
> the agenda (exception: properties), so if this is a
> scheduled item, the scheduled timestamp is in the entry
> text below the headline, which is why the content of the
> entry is shown.

Thanks for explaining. At the risk of adding to your todo list (hmm... I
wonder what tool you use to manage it), would it be possible to display
the SCHEDULED item without displaying the drawers beneath it? The
docstring for drawers states that drawers will not be opened during
normal cycling. Is it correct to expect the same behavior with
org-agenda-goto, or is the mechanism different?

,----[ C-h v org-drawers RET ]
| Documentation:
| Names of drawers.  Drawers are not opened by cycling on the headline above.
| Drawers only open with a TAB on the drawer line itself.
`----

Thanks,
Matt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 15:19   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-07-05 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

> On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>
>> Hi Carsten,
>>
>> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays the
>> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
>> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and then
>> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds the
>> entire thing including the drawers.
>>
>> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
>> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm
>> doing
>> as a workaround right now.
>>
>> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
>> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide detail
>> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for
>> repeated
>> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file (such as
>> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>>
>> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
>> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW
>> ALL
>> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda it
>> expands everything including the drawers.
>
> I actually think it is a bug that drawer contents are shown in this way,
> so I fixed it instead of giving control over it.
>
> - Carsten

O.K. You can ignore my previous email.

So that's the secret of your success. You do things so quickly that they
don't even make it into your org files. :)

Thanks!
Matt

* Re: Agenda display of tasks
@ 2009-07-05 18:30     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-07-05 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Bernt Hansen, Carsten Dominik, emacs-orgmode

On Jul 5, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:

> Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Jun 22, 2009, at 6:54 PM, Bernt Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Carsten,
>>>
>>> I recently noticed that using SPACE or TAB in the agenda displays
>>> the
>>> task in the other window but all of the drawers are exposed.  If you
>>> fold the org file with S-TAB to Overview or Contents display and
>>> then
>>> switch to the agenda and SPACE or TAB on a folded task it unfolds
>>> the
>>> entire thing including the drawers.
>>>
>>> Expanding the file to SHOW ALL and then using follow mode from the
>>> agenda shows me the view I'm really looking for so that's what I'm
>>> doing
>>> as a workaround right now.
>>>
>>> While doing my weekly review of tasks I use follow mode to view task
>>> detail and the expanded :LOGBOOK: and :PROPERTIES: drawers hide
>>> detail
>>> scrolled off the bottom of the window.  My :LOGBOOK: drawer for
>>> repeated
>>> tasks tends to be l-o-n-g and shoves detail way down the file
>>> (such as
>>> my weekly review checklist :) ).
>>>
>>> Is it possible to control expansion of the drawers when displaying a
>>> task from the agenda?  The view I'm looking for is the same as SHOW
>>> ALL
>>> from S-TAB.  It seems that if the task is expanded from the agenda
>>> it
>>> expands everything including the drawers.
>>
>> I actually think it is a bug that drawer contents are shown in this
>> way,
>> so I fixed it instead of giving control over it.
>>
>> - Carsten
>>

> O.K. You can ignore my previous email.
>
> So that's the secret of your success. You do things so quickly that
> they
> don't even make it into your org files. :)

Well, the 2 minute rule (OK, sometimes the 5 minutes rule) is very
important
to how I work :-)

- Carsten