From: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
To: Charles Howard <terminalbeachbum@googlemail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Cannot install 6.29c on Ubuntu 8.04 with emacs 22.1.1
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:30:47 -0400	[thread overview]

Charles Howard <terminalbeachbum@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Manish, that's a considerable help. I'm very glad to be told
> about the norang site.
> My .emacs didn't have (require 'org-install) because this was the file
> before running make.

You have to put it there: make won't do that.

> Org-mode loads now and mostly works, but I cannot export to latex.
> When I do C-c C-e l
> (or L or p) I get the message `Loading tabify ...done' and emacs
> freezes. No cursor movement,
> no response to input.  Doing C-g unfreezes but there is no .tex
> output. HTML export works fine.
>
> Somebody asked about this problem back in January at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2009-01/msg00104.html
> but there was no solution. Does anyone know what causes this?
>
> The *Message* file follows. Chas

> ("emacs" "ks.org")
> (source)...done
> No desktop file.
> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> OVERVIEW
> Select command:
> Exporting to LaTeX...
> Quit
>
> ================================

What does M-x org-version say?

You might want to try a procedure like this:

o Start emacs without any initialization files with emacs -Q.

o In the *scratch* buffer, type

  (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/org-6.29/lisp")

where you use the correct path for your installation and type
C-j after the closing paren. That evaluates the expression.

o Still in the *scratch* buffer, type

  (require 'org-install)

and type C-j after the closing paren.

o What does M-x org-version say now?

o If everything has gone OK, try the LaTeX export now. Does it work?

If the above works, then it is probably the case that
you are getting pieces of the org-mode that's part of the emacs
package that came with debian. There have been several posts of this
kind of trouble (usually with Ubuntu) that have required hunting down
all the places where the distro has squirreled away org-mode
initialization files (e.g. /etc/emacs/* which appears prominently in
your log above) and expunging them.

Nick