* table.el and org.el
@ 2006-06-05  0:14 T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-05  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm losing table-mode keybindings when I create table.el tables
in org-mode.

This may be due to interction with emacspeak --- see explanation
below, but I need some tips on how to fix this.

Symptoms:

I can use table.el tables in non-org buffers.

In org-buffer, if I create a table.el  table I get problems.

Explanation of Problem:

Emacspeak redefines self-insert-command since that command cannot
be advised.
table.el also redefines and rebinds self-insert-command, and I
have advised table.el's insertion commands, that works correctly.

table.el sets up a special keymap where it rebinds
self-insert-command; I've advised the remapping command to become
aware of the need to also rebind emacspeak's  version of
self-insert command.

For some reason there seems to be some interaction between
table.el and org-mode that causes the final step in the above
chain to fail.

Thoughts?

--
Best Regards,
--raman

Email:  raman@users.sf.net
WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
Google: tv+raman
IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

* Re: table.el and org.el
@ 2006-06-05 11:29 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2006-06-05 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have never closely looked at how table.el works and how it creates
and installs its special keymap.  Nor do I know what Emacs speak does.

But I can explain what Org-mode does:

Org-mode defines its own self-insert-command (org-self-insert-command).
  It then re-binds all keys that are assigned to self-insert-command in
the *global* map.  That binding takes place in org-mode-map.  However,
for me table.el works fine - so that means it does install its keymap
correctly also in Org-mode.

To summarize - I have no idea where things go wrong.

Things to try would be to (require 'table) before org.el gets loaded,
and maybe (if that if necessary) to force table.tl to built its keymap
before the first org-mode file gets loaded.

- Carsten

On Jun 5, 2006, at 2:14, T. V. Raman wrote:

> I'm losing table-mode keybindings when I create table.el tables
> in org-mode.
>
> This may be due to interction with emacspeak --- see explanation
> below, but I need some tips on how to fix this.
>
> Symptoms:
>
> I can use table.el tables in non-org buffers.
>
> In org-buffer, if I create a table.el  table I get problems.
>
> Explanation of Problem:
>
> Emacspeak redefines self-insert-command since that command cannot
> be advised.
> table.el also redefines and rebinds self-insert-command, and I
> have advised table.el's insertion commands, that works correctly.
>
> table.el sets up a special keymap where it rebinds
> self-insert-command; I've advised the remapping command to become
> aware of the need to also rebind emacspeak's  version of
> self-insert command.
>
> For some reason there seems to be some interaction between
> table.el and org-mode that causes the final step in the above
> chain to fail.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> --raman
>

> Email:  raman@users.sf.net
> WWW:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/
> AIM:    emacspeak       GTalk: tv.raman.tv@gmail.com
> PGP:    http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc
> Google: tv+raman
> IRC:    irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: table.el and org.el
@ 2006-06-05 13:03   ` T. V. Raman
From: T. V. Raman @ 2006-06-05 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I hadn't realized org-mode-map did its own rebindings; that
should be sufficient in terms of clues for me to trace this down.

    Carsten> I have never closely looked at how table.el works
    Carsten> and how it creates and installs its special keymap.
    Carsten> Nor do I know what Emacs speak does.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> But I can explain what Org-mode does:
    Carsten>
    Carsten> Org-mode defines its own self-insert-command
    Carsten> (org-self-insert-command).  It then re-binds all
    Carsten> keys that are assigned to self-insert-command in the
    Carsten> *global* map.  That binding takes place in
    Carsten> org-mode-map.  However, for me table.el works fine -
    Carsten> so that means it does install its keymap correctly
    Carsten> also in Org-mode.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> To summarize - I have no idea where things go wrong.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> Things to try would be to (require 'table) before
    Carsten> org.el gets loaded, and maybe (if that if necessary)
    Carsten> to force table.tl to built its keymap before the
    Carsten> first org-mode file gets loaded.
    Carsten>
    Carsten> - Carsten
    Carsten>
    Carsten> On Jun 5, 2006, at 2:14, T. V. Raman wrote:
    Carsten>
    >> I'm losing table-mode keybindings when I create table.el
    >> tables in org-mode.
    >>
    >> This may be due to interction with emacspeak --- see
    >> explanation below, but I need some tips on how to fix
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Symptoms:
    >>
    >> I can use table.el tables in non-org buffers.
    >>
    >> In org-buffer, if I create a table.el table I get
    >> problems.
    >>
    >> Explanation of Problem:
    >>
    >> Emacspeak redefines self-insert-command since that command
    >> cannot be advised.  table.el also redefines and rebinds
    >> self-insert-command, and I have advised table.el's
    >> insertion commands, that works correctly.
    >>
    >> table.el sets up a special keymap where it rebinds
    >> self-insert-command; I've advised the remapping command to
    >> become aware of the need to also rebind emacspeak's
    >> version of self-insert command.
    >>
    >> For some reason there seems to be some interaction between
    >> table.el and org-mode that causes the final step in the
    >> above chain to fail.
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best Regards, --raman
    >>

    >> Email: raman@users.sf.net WWW:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/ AIM: emacspeak GTalk:
    >> tv.raman.tv@gmail.com PGP:
    >> http://emacspeak.sf.net/raman/raman-almaden.asc Google:
    >> tv+raman IRC: irc://irc.freenode.net/#emacs

    Carsten> --
Carsten Dominik Sterrenkundig Instituut "Anton Pannekoek"

@ 2007-01-17  3:40     ` timotheus
From: timotheus @ 2007-01-17  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"T. V. Raman" <raman@users.sf.net> writes:

> I hadn't realized org-mode-map did its own rebindings; that
> should be sufficient in terms of clues for me to trace this down.

Hi. Were you able to solve the issue of the missing `table.el' bindings while
in org-mode? I am experiencing the same difficulty.

With Emacs CVS pretest (22.0.92) both the included CVS `org.el' and the latest
release of `org.el' cannot edit `table.el' tables correctly.

After a `C-c ~', the `table.el' table is created and table bindings are in
effect. However, after moving the point by one character, the bindings revert
to org-mode bindings. For example, C-< is no longer bound, and the table does
not auto size itself (not in fixed-width mode). Upon pressing `TAB' in the
first column of a row, `org' prints `recognizing table.el table... done' each
and every time.

An example of the issue:
+-----+-----+-----+
|some silly text |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+

The table never auto sizes, and once the sizing is broken, so is TAB-based
navigation.

I tried the suggests of loading `table.el' first, to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks & regards,
-timotheus

* Re: Re: table.el and org.el
@ 2007-01-31 18:12       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-01-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: timotheus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I have not been able to reproduce this problem, anyone else?

- Carsten