* Org is awesome
       [not found] <CAFniQ7XOLRq8Y-J+QVjmgBqfOV89wrf=xJG+cxWAgbzZhay1rg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2014-03-22  4:58 ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-22  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849 lines of
LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229 pages of
beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned code listings
(and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of fully indexed glossary
entries (whose LaTeX code comes from emacs-lisp source blocks processing
org tables), I think I'm in a position to state with confidence:

ORG IS AWESOME.

"Thanks to all the developers" is insufficient.

hjh

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-22  7:52   ` Bastien
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-22  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: jamshark70, Emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849
> lines of LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229
> pages of beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned
> code listings (and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of
> fully indexed glossary entries (whose LaTeX code comes from
> emacs-lisp source blocks processing org tables), I think I'm in a
> position to state with confidence:

Nice use-case !

> ORG IS AWESOME.

Tell it to the world with a blog entry :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-22 16:31   ` Grant Rettke
From: Grant Rettke @ 2014-03-22 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thank you for sharing.

We all benefit greatly from others monumental efforts of others.

Thanks, to them.

--
Grant Rettke | ACM, AMA, COG, IEEE
gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-22 16:35     ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2014-03-22 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Rettke; +Cc: jamshark70, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com> wrote:
> Thank you for sharing.
>
> We all benefit greatly from others monumental efforts of others.
>
> Thanks, to them.
>

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM, James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849 lines
>> of LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229 pages of
>> beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned code listings
>> (and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of fully indexed glossary
>> entries (whose LaTeX code comes from emacs-lisp source blocks processing org
>> tables), I think I'm in a position to state with confidence:
>>
>> ORG IS AWESOME.
>>
>> "Thanks to all the developers" is insufficient.
>>
>> hjh

Share the resulting paper?

--
Dave Täht

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-22 17:43       ` Fletcher Charest
From: Fletcher Charest @ 2014-03-22 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Taht; +Cc: jamshark70, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Grant Rettke

I would really like to see the resulting paper too!

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Grant Rettke <gcr@wisdomandwonder.com>
> wrote:
> > Thank you for sharing.
> >
> > We all benefit greatly from others monumental efforts of others.
> >
> > Thanks, to them.
> >

> > On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 11:58 PM, James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849 lines
> >> of LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229 pages of
> >> beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned code
> listings
> >> (and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of fully indexed
> glossary
> >> entries (whose LaTeX code comes from emacs-lisp source blocks
> processing org
> >> tables), I think I'm in a position to state with confidence:
> >>
> >> ORG IS AWESOME.
> >>
> >> "Thanks to all the developers" is insufficient.
> >>
> >> hjh
>
> Share the resulting paper?
>

> > --
> > Grant Rettke | ACM, AMA, COG, IEEE
> > gcr@wisdomandwonder.com | http://www.wisdomandwonder.com/
> > “Wisdom begins in wonder.” --Socrates
> > ((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
> > “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop
> taking
> > it seriously.” --Thompson
>

> --
> Dave Täht
>
> Fixing bufferbloat with cerowrt:
> http://www.teklibre.com/cerowrt/subscribe.html

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-22 21:28     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-03-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Mar 22, 2014 at 08:52:11AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849
> > lines of LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229
> > pages of beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned
> > code listings (and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of
> > fully indexed glossary entries (whose LaTeX code comes from
> > emacs-lisp source blocks processing org tables), I think I'm in a
> > position to state with confidence:
>
> Nice use-case !
>
> > ORG IS AWESOME.
>
> Tell it to the world with a blog entry :)

Or with a little bit more effort maybe a nice Worg article ;)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 12:22     ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-24 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Mar 22, 2014 3:52 PM, "Bastien" <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > After 243 commits to a constellation of org files, producing 10849
> > lines of LaTeX code from the Beamer exporter, which render into 229
> > pages of beamerarticle print-ready material, including 156 captioned
> > code listings (and a handful of un-numbered ones) and 27 pages of
> > fully indexed glossary entries (whose LaTeX code comes from
> > emacs-lisp source blocks processing org tables), I think I'm in a
> > position to state with confidence:
>
> Nice use-case !
>
> > ORG IS AWESOME.
>
> Tell it to the world with a blog entry :)

I've started on a worg page to describe the project's design. That's lower
priority than some other projects, though, might take awhile.

For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject (audio
synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for most.

hjh

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 14:13       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-03-24 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: jamshark70, Emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
> http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject
> (audio synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for
> most.

I don't understand a thing, but I find it beautiful.  :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 16:48         ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2014-03-24 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 03:13:24PM +0100, Bastien wrote:
> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
> > http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject
> > (audio synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for
> > most.
>
> I don't understand a thing, but I find it beautiful.  :)

Same here :)

--
Suvayu

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 16:53           ` Dave Taht
From: Dave Taht @ 2014-03-24 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 03:13:24PM +0100, Bastien wrote:
>> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
>> > http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject
>> > (audio synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for
>> > most.
>>
>> I don't understand a thing, but I find it beautiful.  :)
>
> Same here :)

As I used to use supercollider and other audio tools like ardour back
when I merely used computers for fun, it was a very nice read in
addition to being a great example of what org-mode can do.

Thanks for posting!

> --
> Suvayu

Dave Täht

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 18:05       ` chandan
From: chandan @ 2014-03-24 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Monday 24 Mar 2014 20:22:47 James Harkins wrote:
> For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
> http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject (audio
> synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for most.

Can you please post a link to the sources? I would most probably use
it as a reference for generating different parts of any documents that
I would create.

Thanks,
chandan

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-24 19:15         ` Sam Flint
From: Sam Flint @ 2014-03-24 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 24 Mar 2014, chandan wrote:

> On Monday 24 Mar 2014 20:22:47 James Harkins wrote:
>> For those who wanted to see the article, a current draft is here:
>> http://ubuntuone.com/2uszkV2PDUuSgZAtnXwXzZ -- though the subject
>> (audio synthesis and real-time control) is likely to be esoteric for
>> most.
>
> Can you please post a link to the sources? I would most probably use
> it as a reference for generating different parts of any documents that
> I would create.
Yes, please release your indexing code especially!

Sam

Sam Flint
swflint@flintfam.org
freenode: swflint
sip:swflint@ekiga.net
XMPP: swflint@flintfam.org
http://flintfam.org/~swflint
2048D/BAFBF3FF
    (3696 0D80 EC3C D40A 0186  D0E8 C63B 96FB BAFB F3FF)

[-- Attachment #2.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 212 bytes --]

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-25  1:48         ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2014-03-25  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chandan, Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mar 25, 2014 3:05 AM, "chandan" <chandanrmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you please post a link to the sources? I would most probably use
> it as a reference for generating different parts of any documents that
> I would create.

Not just yet.

As I said in the email that you quoted, I'm working on a worg page to
explain the project's implementation. That page will include a link to the
sources. I would rather not publish the link just now, because then I would
have to answer questions about it by email, and many of those questions are
likely to be answered in the worg page -- redundant effort.

So, just be patient -- it'll happen, but not until project documentation is
ready.

hjh

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-03-25  9:37           ` chandan
From: chandan @ 2014-03-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2014 09:48:59 James Harkins wrote:

> So, just be patient -- it'll happen, but not until project documentation is
> ready.

Sure. Looking forward to the new worg page.

Thanks,
chandan

* Re: Org is awesome
@ 2014-04-04 13:02     ` Allen S. Rout
From: Allen S. Rout @ 2014-04-04 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 03/22/2014 03:52 AM, Bastien wrote:

>> ORG IS AWESOME.
>
> Tell it to the world with a blog entry :)

I searched worg for 'colophon' ('cite' of course had lots of hits..)

It might be nice if there were something analogous to

http://astrostatistics.psu.edu/su07/R/html/utils/html/citation.html

for those authors who felt like providing pointers.  This 'reproducable
research' thing is picking up steam.  Stylized citations for the
production systems couldn't but help.

"Yeah, Allen, why don't you write one?"   Koff.  OK, here's a stab,
riffing on the R citation() function.  Please consider this a bikeshed
at which to briefly aim your paint cannons.

-------

 To cite org-mode in publications use:

  Free Software Foundation, Inc. (2004 - 2014) org-mode: Outline-based
  notes management and organizer.  http://orgmode.org/

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

  @Manual{,
    title = {org-mode: Outline-based notes management and organizer.},
    author = {{Carsten Dominik et. alia}},
    organization = {Free Software Foundation, Inc.},
    address = {51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor; Boston, MA 02110-1301},
    year = {2014},
    url = {http://orgmode.org/},
  }

-------