* Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20  9:08 Sébastien Delafond
From: Sébastien Delafond @ 2012-08-20  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi fellows,

do you feel this is an actual org-mode bug (reported in Debian,
#685348) ?

  When I start a list like
    * List
       1. a very long item 1, so long that it reaches into the right margin
       2. item 2
  and I have auto-fill-mode turned on, the first item is split into two or more
  lines as
    * List
       1. a very long item 1, so long that
        it reaches into the right margin
       2. item 2
  The problem is that the second line of the first item is no longer part of the
  list! I expected the line to be split with additional spaces as
   * List
       1. a very long item 1, so long that
           it reaches into the right margin
       2. item 2
  so that item 1 is an ordinary item with two lines. This is annoying, as it is
  not easy (or I haven't found yet) a simple way to indent correctly that second
  line. A simple <TAB> doesn't work, so I have to move to the beginning of the
  line and add a couple of spaces. Furthermore, this used to work with emacs-23
  and its support for org-mode until I installed the package org-mode. (I
  installed the package to get the info documentation).

  Sorry if this is not a bug and this odd behavior can be configured away, but I
  couldn't find how.

Cheers,

--Seb

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20  9:12 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-08-20  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Delafond; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Sébastien Delafond <sdelafond@gmail.com> writes:

> do you feel this is an actual org-mode bug (reported in Debian,
> #685348) ?
>
>   When I start a list like
>     * List
>        1. a very long item 1, so long that it reaches into the right margin
>        2. item 2
>   and I have auto-fill-mode turned on, the first item is split into two or more
>   lines as
>     * List
>        1. a very long item 1, so long that
>         it reaches into the right margin
>        2. item 2
>   The problem is that the second line of the first item is no longer part of the
>   list! I expected the line to be split with additional spaces as
>    * List
>        1. a very long item 1, so long that
>            it reaches into the right margin
>        2. item 2
>   so that item 1 is an ordinary item with two lines.

I cannot reproduce this.

Do you use filladapt.el? Also what's the output of M-x org-version?

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 13:13   ` Luis Mochán
From: Luis Mochán @ 2012-08-20 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> I cannot reproduce this.
>
> Do you use filladapt.el? Also what's the output of M-x org-version?
I haven't loaded (explicitly) filladapt.el. How can I tell if I am using it?
The output of M-x org-version is 7.8.11.
Regards,
Luis

@ 2012-08-20 13:32     ` Luis Mochán
From: Luis Mochán @ 2012-08-20 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> > Do you use filladapt.el? Also what's the output of M-x org-version?
> I haven't loaded (explicitly) filladapt.el. How can I tell if I am using it?
> The output of M-x org-version is 7.8.11.

I have removed the org-mode debian package and the behavior reverted to what I
expected. The output of M-x org-version is now 6.33x. I had installed the org-
mode package to get the org documentation, but now I installed
emacs23-common-non-dfsg instead. Are there conflicts due to the apparent
coexistence of two org-mode versions (that provided by the emacs23 debian
package and the other provided by the org-mode package)?

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 13:45     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis =?utf-8?b?TW9jaMOhbg==?=; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luis Mochán <mochan@fis.unam.mx> wrote:

> > Do you use filladapt.el? Also what's the output of M-x org-version?

> I haven't loaded (explicitly) filladapt.el. How can I tell if I am
> using it?  The output of M-x org-version is 7.8.11.

You can try asking about a function or a variable that's defined by
filladapt: if it is documented, then filladapt is loaded. Otherwise,
emacs will complain about the non-existent function/variable. Try
something like

C-h f filladapt-mode RET

Nick

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 13:54       ` Luis =?utf-8?b?TW9jaMOhbg==?=
From: Luis =?utf-8?b?TW9jaMOhbg==?= @ 2012-08-20 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> emacs will complain about the non-existent function/variable. Try
> something like
>
> C-h f filladapt-mode RET

The answer is: no match.

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 14:00       ` Luis Mochán
From: Luis Mochán @ 2012-08-20 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Try something like
> C-h f filladapt-mode RET

The answer is:
    no match.

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 20:37         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-20 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Mochán; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Luis,

Luis Mochán <mochan@fis.unam.mx> writes:

>> Try something like
>> C-h f filladapt-mode RET
>
> The answer is:
>     no match.

So, you are *not* using filladapt.el.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-20 20:38       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-20 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Mochán; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Luis,

Luis Mochán <mochan@fis.unam.mx> writes:

> Are there conflicts due to the apparent
> coexistence of two org-mode versions (that provided by the emacs23 debian
> package and the other provided by the org-mode package)?

If you use a separate Org distribution (as a package or cloned from
the git repository), don't forget to create autoloads.

~$ make autoloads

then

(require 'org-install)

in your .emacs.el should do.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-21 18:11         ` Luis Mochán
From: Luis Mochán @ 2012-08-21 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Bastien,
I thought that there was nothing to do when using debian
packages. Anyway, for the time being, I removed the org-mode package,
as org-mode works with the emacs23 package and I obtained the
documentation from elsewhere.
Regards,
Luis

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:38:43PM +0200, Bastien wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> Luis Mochán <mochan@fis.unam.mx> writes:
>
> > Are there conflicts due to the apparent
> > coexistence of two org-mode versions (that provided by the emacs23 debian
> > package and the other provided by the org-mode package)?
>
> If you use a separate Org distribution (as a package or cloned from
> the git repository), don't forget to create autoloads.
>
> ~$ make autoloads
>
> then
>
> (require 'org-install)
>
> in your .emacs.el should do.
>
> --
>  Bastien

W. Luis Mochán,                      | tel:(52)(777)329-1734     /<(*)
Instituto de Ciencias Físicas, UNAM  | fax:(52)(777)317-5388     `>/   /\
Apdo. Postal 48-3, 62251             |                           (*)/\/  \
Cuernavaca, Morelos, México          | mochan@fis.unam.mx   /\_/\__/

* Re: Wrong indentation with auto-fill within lists ?
@ 2012-08-22 11:50         ` Sébastien Delafond
From: Sébastien Delafond @ 2012-08-22 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2012-08-20, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> If you use a separate Org distribution (as a package or cloned from
> the git repository), don't forget to create autoloads.
>
> ~$ make autoloads
>
> then
>
> (require 'org-install)
>
> in your .emacs.el should do.

"(require 'org-install)" is part of the packaging of org-mode in
Debian, and is loaded via a site-start snippet (in this case it's
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el), so the problem shouldn't come
from that I think.

Cheers,

--Seb