From: racin@free.fr
To: Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name>
Cc: notmuch <notmuch@notmuchmail.org>, emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bug: ol-notmuch.el: calls `notmuch-show' with arbitrary search query
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 20:17:27 +0100 (CET)	[thread overview]

Hi,

> Here is my workaround.  If this approach seems sensible I can prepare a
> patch to `org-notmuch-follow-link` in ol-notmuch.el.

Your approach probably works most of the time, but I don't like the idea
of having to perform 2 queries when one should be enough.

I think a better approach would be to change notmuch-show (or add a new version) that would
allow taking arbitrary queries (and especially, message ids) as input. This probably used to be the case.

Note that the command line notmuch show function does accept arbitrary search terms as an argument

I think updating notmuch-show to compute the thread id from the query (instead of assuming that the input is
a thread id) would be the best way to go, but you should see that with the notmuch developers.

Best regards
Matthieu Lemerre