* More specific LaTeX output classes
@ 2011-12-02 21:15 Ken Williams
From: Ken Williams @ 2011-12-02 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If I export the following code to LaTeX:

--------------------------
#+begin_src R
CV.t.hat <- rowMeans(loss)[m]
CV.t.hat
#+end_src

#+results:
: [1] 1.135857
--------------------------

, then it looks like this in the *.tex file:

--------------------------
\begin{verbatim}
CV.t.hat <- rowMeans(loss)[m]
CV.t.hat
\end{verbatim}

\begin{verbatim}
 [1] 1.135857
\end{verbatim}
--------------------------

So there's no distinction between input & output, nor between various types of input (e.g. different programming languages).

Would it be possible for the export process to define various classes that default to being exactly like 'verbatim', but could be customized?  After that, a next step might be to provide nice defaults that do things like syntax-highlighting (through the 'minted' package, perhaps), or at least add a visual marker distinguishing between input & output.

Or of course it's possible some of this is already implemented and I've missed it. =)

--
Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
WindLogics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

* Re: More specific LaTeX output classes
@ 2011-12-02 21:55 ` Niels Giesen
From: Niels Giesen @ 2011-12-02 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Williams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Ken Williams <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:

[...]

> Would it be possible for the export process to define various classes
> that default to being exactly like 'verbatim', but could be
> customized? After that, a next step might be to provide nice defaults
> that do things like syntax-highlighting (through the 'minted' package,
> perhaps), or at least add a visual marker distinguishing between input
> & output.
>
> Or of course it's possible some of this is already implemented and I've missed it. =)

Yes it is:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (setq org-export-latex-listings 'minted)
  (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted")
#+end_src

See also `org-export-latex-listings-langs' for a mapping of Emacs modes
to languages known to pygmentize.

Also see

C-h v org-export-latex-listings RET

for more information (e.g. about the --shell-escape option you'll have
to pass to the LaTeX process).

Regards, Niels.
--
http://pft.github.com/

* Re: More specific LaTeX output classes
@ 2011-12-02 23:40   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-12-02 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niels Giesen; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Ken Williams

Niels Giesen <niels.giesen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ken Williams <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:
>

> [...]
>
> > Would it be possible for the export process to define various classes
> > that default to being exactly like 'verbatim', but could be
> > customized? After that, a next step might be to provide nice defaults
> > that do things like syntax-highlighting (through the 'minted' package,
> > perhaps), or at least add a visual marker distinguishing between input
> > & output.
> >
> > Or of course it's possible some of this is already implemented and I've missed it. =)
>
> Yes it is:
>
> #+begin_src emacs-lisp
>   (setq org-export-latex-listings 'minted)
>   (add-to-list 'org-export-latex-packages-alist '("" "minted")
> #+end_src

NB: there's a closing paren missing in the add-to-list line.

> See also `org-export-latex-listings-langs' for a mapping of Emacs modes
> to languages known to pygmentize.
>
> Also see
>
> C-h v org-export-latex-listings RET
>
> for more information (e.g. about the --shell-escape option you'll have
> to pass to the LaTeX process).

Thanks for this (and the pointers that you - and others? - have
provided previously): it finally motivated me to try out minted.

One problem I ran into was that the version of minted.sty that I have
uses "which -s" to find pygmentize, ``which'' complains about -s and the
run fails. I ended up editing minted.sty to get rid of the -s and
everything works smoothly.

The version I have says

\ProvidesPackage{minted}[2010/01/27 v1.6 Yet another Pygments shim for LaTeX]

I checked CTAN and the most recent version is 1.7: that has excised the -s.

Nick