* org the program vs. org the format
@ 2014-12-08 22:00 Thomas Koch
From: Thomas Koch @ 2014-12-08 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

there's a discussion on emacs-devel[1] about replacing texinfo as the
documentation format and org is mentioned. RMS correctly mentions that org-
mode is not a format but a program.

This was also my problem when I thought about using org-mode at work in my
team. Since I'm the only emacs user we decided to use asciidoc which is a
format that can be edited and processed with different programs.

So org-mode is a bit like PHP which also doesn't (didn't) have a specification
but the implementation is the specification.

Would it be possible to change the format of org-mode to be a superset of e.g.
asciidoc or markdown but keep the features?

[1] "On being web-friendly and why info must die"

Regards, Thomas Koch