* unicode in org-mode
@ 2012-12-07 17:18 Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-12-07 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

For notes (and other things) I tend to use non-ASCII characters fairly freely. (Among them the most common are: ∃ -- there is, ∀ -- every, ∈ -- in, ∴ -- therefore, ≡, arrows, bullets, checks, subscripts, superscripts, etc.)

It would be nice to be able to configure org-mode to handle them nicely. (Where "nicely" means in exactly the vague way that I want.)

(1) Bullets are for bullet lists. It would be nice if they could be interpreted as such.
(2) The other symbols (∃, ∀, etc.) are natural for LaTeX, but they would have to expand to things like \assuremath{\exists}.

Is there currently any way (short of hacking org-mode code) to accomplish this?
If not, what is the official venue for feature requests?
I'm willing to help, but I can't do so at this address.

Thanks.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad and that's my religion. - Abraham Lincoln

* Re: unicode in org-mode
@ 2012-12-07 18:29 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-12-07 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Doug Lewan,

Doug Lewan wrote:
> For notes (and other things) I tend to use non-ASCII characters fairly freely.
> (Among them the most common are: ∃ -- there is, ∀ -- every, ∈ -- in, ∴ --
> therefore, ≡, arrows, bullets, checks, subscripts, superscripts, etc.)
>
> It would be nice to be able to configure org-mode to handle them nicely. (Where "nicely" means in exactly the vague way that I want.)
>
> (1) Bullets are for bullet lists. It would be nice if they could be interpreted as such.
> (2) The other symbols (∃, ∀, etc.) are natural for LaTeX, but they would have to expand to things like \assuremath{\exists}.
>
> Is there currently any way (short of hacking org-mode code) to accomplish this?

Are you aware of `org-entities' (and even `org-entities-user')?

Don't they allow you to use such symbols for multiple back-ends, in the way
you want?  If not, please detail what the problem is...

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: unicode in org-mode
@ 2012-12-07 19:06   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-12-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I had not known about org-entities-user. (New user. I'm barely through the Guide.)

The documentation certainly looks good. Thanks!

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad and that's my religion. - Abraham Lincoln

* Re: unicode in org-mode
@ 2012-12-10 16:01   ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-12-10 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

`org-entities' and `org-entities-user' come close.

They need a preceding `\', which detracts a little from reading for me. (Or course, I'm hardly using org-mode to its fullest. It really is for notes, just text.)

Still, it's a big help for the moment. Thanks, Sebastien.