From: Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl>
To: ignotus@freemail.hu
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: filling cells automatically
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:45:18 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jun 20, 2007, at 17:44, ignotus@freemail.hu wrote:

> Dear Org users!
>
> I would like to have the following functionality: I have a table like
> this:
>
>    | number1 | number2 | description |
>    |---------+---------+-------------|
>    |       1 |       1 | a           |
>    |       1 |       2 | b           |
>    |       1 |       3 | c           |
>    |       1 |       4 | d           |
>    |---------+---------+-------------|
>    |       2 |       1 | aa          |
>    |       2 |       2 | bb          |
>    |       2 |       3 | cc          |
>    |       2 |       4 | dd          |
>    |---------+---------+-------------|
>    |       3 |       1 | aaa         |
>    |       3 |       2 | bbb         |
>    |       3 |       3 | ccc         |
>    |       3 |       4 | ddd         |
>    |---------+---------+-------------|
>
> I would like to generate number1 and number2 rows automatically (so
> when
> I insert something the numbering will be okay), is this possible?  Well
> I know it is, but is it possible within the current org table
> framework?

This is currently difficult because of a bug in org-mode
in the treatment of fields that have a field formula assigned,
but also are in a column with a column formula.  This bug
will be fixed in the next version, and then you can do:

  | number1 | number2 | description |
  |---------+---------+-------------|
  |       1 |       1 | a           |
  |       1 |       2 | b           |
  |       1 |       3 | c           |
  |       1 |       4 | d           |
  |---------+---------+-------------|
  |       2 |       1 | aa          |
  |       2 |       2 | bb          |
  |       2 |       3 | cc          |
  |       2 |       4 | dd          |
  |---------+---------+-------------|
  |       3 |       1 | aaa         |
  |       3 |       2 | bbb         |
  |       3 |       3 | ccc         |
  |       3 |       4 | ddd         |
#+TBLFM:
$1=@-1::$2=1+@-1::@2$1=1::@2$2=1::@6$1=2::@6$2=1::@10$1=3::@10$2=1

Make sure that you insert new rows with Org-mode commands, not by hand.

With this setup, C-u C-c C-c will update the table and fill rows 1 and
2.

Hope this helps

- Carsten