From: James Harkins <jamshark70@qq.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Advice on handling translations in export
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:05:15 +0800	[thread overview]

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with texts written in org,
which then need to be translated.

The simplest thing, of course, would be an org file for the original
language, and then separate files for other languages. Markup and export
are simpler this way, but future edits would be harder to sync.

For the edit/sync problem (and also because hey, we're org users, meaning
born tinkerers), I'm wondering if it's worth interleaving the languages in
the same file, with some kind of tagging to select one or more languages
for export. I'm struggling to imagine how that would look. Regular org tags
wouldn't work because they're hierarchical, and there's no point in
considering any sort of scheme for this if you can't keep original text and
translation close together.

Maybe language prefixes, which an export filter could process? Perhaps:

* en: Hello
  fr: Bonjour

To be honest, I'm a bit skeptical of doing this at all because it would be
a chunk of work and it would clutter the org files visually. But if someone
has figured out a clever way, I'd be curious to hear about it.

Thanks in advance --
hjh

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com