From: Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Best diagram, image software?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 09:54:20 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016, at 09:11 AM, Lawrence Bottorff wrote:
> I know lots of you use Emacs and org mode to prepare scholarly books
> and papers, either doing the HTML or, more probably, the Latex export.
> Question: Let's say I want to produce a math text with Emacs/org-
> mode/Latex. What is the best way to make diagrams and images? I've
> seen things like Inkscape and LibreOffice Draw. But then there is
> Gnuplot and Tikz. Yes, what Tikz does seems optimal, but the learning
> curve is a year's sabbatical. Just wondering what you people are using
> to do your images.

I think it really depends on what kinds of diagrams and images you're
trying to use. I've been using embedded dot (GraphViz) diagrams with org
for a number of years, and I find it fantastically helpful for things
like graphs (nodes connected by arrows, optionally all labelled), data
structure diagrams, etc. ... the basic boxes and lines kind of drawing.

I also just discovered ditaa, which seems also good for boxes and lines,
but with more freedom (and more work to edit the input).

I've also used PlantUML for modelling diagrams.

I know others are using embedded R code to get data visualization
graphics automatically.

This page gives some examples:
http://ehneilsen.net/notebook/orgExamples/org-examples.html. There
should be an authoritative page on graphics formats, but I'm not
aware of one.

Most of these use separate packages to create the graphics, but there
are hooks in org to call the external programs and include the results
in the document.

-pd

--
  Peter Davis