* Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30  8:31 Trey Darley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Trey Darley @ 2012-04-30  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi, everyone -

First post to the list. Guess I should start out by saying, Carsten et al, you
guys rock! Thanks for org-mode!

* Problem: I can no longer insert new outline headings via the usual M-RET
  binding.

Here's an overview of my setup:

** os: debian (wheezy/sid amd64)
** emacs: gnu emacs (23.4.1 - plain-vanilla distro)
** window manager: xmonad 0.10
** terminal: xfce4-terminal + tmux 1.6
** org-mode: development (via git)

* What have I tested?

** running emacs under a different terminal (urxvt and xterm)
** running outside tmux in a normal session
** disabling all my ~/.emacs.d/ modifications apart from setting my load-path
   and the bare minimal [0] to instantiate org-mode
** running org-7.8.09 (stable) and org-7.8.06 (distro)

None of that fixed it.

* C-h C-b indicates the binding is in place.

,----
| M-RET           org-insert-heading
`----

* output of xev / xmodmap looks normal

M-x org-insert-heading works just fine. At this point I think I've tried
looking at all the complicated things. Past experience leads me to believe
there's something completely stupid and obvious that I'm not thinking of,
which is why I'm turning to you lot. Please, someone make me feel stupid and
save my sanity!!! ;-)

[0]: http://orgmode.org/guide/Activation.html#Activation

Cheers,
Trey
++----------------------------------------------------------------------------++
Trey Darley - Brussels
twitter: @treyka
gpg fingerprint: C2AD E2A8 440C 8785 1958 B6DA 4176 9233 8F6D 8AF0
++----------------------------------------------------------------------------++
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
++----------------------------------------------------------------------------++

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30  8:36 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-30  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Darley; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Trey,

Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> writes:

> * Problem: I can no longer insert new outline headings via the usual M-RET
>   binding.

What does it return instead?

> M-x org-insert-heading works just fine.

What does `C-h v org-insert-heading-hook RET' returns?

--
 Bastien

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30  8:43   ` Trey Darley
From: Trey Darley @ 2012-04-30  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30 12:34 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-04-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Darley; +Cc: Org Mode

Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> writes:

> * What have I tested?
>
> ** running emacs under a different terminal (urxvt and xterm)
> ** running outside tmux in a normal session
> ** disabling all my ~/.emacs.d/ modifications apart from setting my load-path
>    and the bare minimal [0] to instantiate org-mode
> ** running org-7.8.09 (stable) and org-7.8.06 (distro)

Please also try with a bare emacs

~$ emacs -Q

As you have FLIM/SEMI/APEL loaded, perhaps there is some obscure
interaction that breaks stuff.  But it works okay here.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30 12:43   ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2012-04-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Darley; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Trey,

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 14:34, Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:
> Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> writes:
>
>> * What have I tested?
>>
>> ** running emacs under a different terminal (urxvt and xterm)
>> ** running outside tmux in a normal session
>> ** disabling all my ~/.emacs.d/ modifications apart from setting my load-path
>>    and the bare minimal [0] to instantiate org-mode
>> ** running org-7.8.09 (stable) and org-7.8.06 (distro)
>
> Please also try with a bare emacs
>
> ~$ emacs -Q
>
> As you have FLIM/SEMI/APEL loaded, perhaps there is some obscure
> interaction that breaks stuff.  But it works okay here.

If you are having trouble starting a minimal setup, you can follow the
instructions in the manual.

<http://orgmode.org/manual/Feedback.html#Feedback>

GL

--
Suvayu

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30 14:38   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-30 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Trey Darley, Org Mode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> wrote:

> Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> writes:
>
> > * What have I tested?
> >
> > ** running emacs under a different terminal (urxvt and xterm)
> > ** running outside tmux in a normal session
> > ** disabling all my ~/.emacs.d/ modifications apart from setting my load-path
> >    and the bare minimal [0] to instantiate org-mode
> > ** running org-7.8.09 (stable) and org-7.8.06 (distro)
>
> Please also try with a bare emacs
>
> ~$ emacs -Q
>
> As you have FLIM/SEMI/APEL loaded, perhaps there is some obscure
> interaction that breaks stuff.  But it works okay here.

Try C-h c M-RET in an org buffer. If something is capturing the key
before emacs gets its hands on it, this will confirm it: emacs won't
see it and you'll still be at the "Describe key" prompt.

Also, you might want to use a dribble file to see what Emacs sees as
the input: (info "(emacs) Checklist") describes how to turn it on.

Nick

* Re: Help! org-insert-heading doesn't work anymore and I'm losing my mind!
@ 2012-04-30 14:59     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-30 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trey Darley; +Cc: Bastien, Org Mode

Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> wrote:

> At Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:36:45 +0200,
> Bastien wrote:
> >
> > Trey Darley <trey@treyka.net> writes:
> >
> > > * Problem: I can no longer insert new outline headings via the usual M-RET
> > >   binding.
> >
> > What does it return instead?
>
> Just a newline.

So it sound as if the meta key is not working. Does ESC RET work?

Nick

@ 2012-04-30 18:23 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-04-30 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Trey Darley writes:
> ** terminal: xfce4-terminal + tmux 1.6
> ** org-mode: development (via git)

Here is most likely your problem: terminal (emulators) usually don't
handle modifier keys well (some or all of them).  You'll have to use ESC
as a prefix instead or dig into the documentation if you can set it up
to translate keys in different ways.  If a GUI Emacs has the same
problem, then most of the time the window manager consumes the meta key
events before Emacs gets to see them.  This is another common problem,
you can usually designate applications that should receive all key
events (but then the window manager doesn't get to see them) or move the
WM hotkeys to some other combination that isn't used (good luck finding
one that Emacs hasn't already used :-).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Waldorf Blofeld: