* org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-26 15:44 Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2015-03-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

From time to time Org-drill shows me a blank window instead of a
question. The frame, mode line and prompt to answer are visible, but
there's nothing in the window at all. As a workaround I can type "t" to
edit the tags, and the question will appear.

A sample file is enclosed. It's a new file without any of the org-drill
property drawers just to keep the example short and to avoid having to
wait for the question to be scheduled to be shown again, but the problem
*does* still happen when the drawers are present.

To reproduce the bug, run org-drill in drillbug.org; the question "MC"
gives a blank screen.

I'm using org-drill with the latest version of Org-mode, git commit
2f58e3c011ec84f621905332d8df68b83da580d9, on Emacs 24.3.1, 2014-09-30.

Peter.

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-26 17:26 ` J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2015-03-26 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> From time to time Org-drill shows me a blank window instead of a
> question. The frame, mode line and prompt to answer are visible, but
> there's nothing in the window at all. As a workaround I can type "t" to
> edit the tags, and the question will appear.
>
> A sample file is enclosed. It's a new file without any of the org-drill
> property drawers just to keep the example short and to avoid having to
> wait for the question to be scheduled to be shown again, but the problem
> *does* still happen when the drawers are present.
>
> To reproduce the bug, run org-drill in drillbug.org; the question "MC"
> gives a blank screen.
>
> I'm using org-drill with the latest version of Org-mode, git commit
> 2f58e3c011ec84f621905332d8df68b83da580d9, on Emacs 24.3.1, 2014-09-30.
>
> Peter.

There's no attached file...

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-27 15:05   ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2015-03-27 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, at 17:26, J. David Boyd wrote:
> Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > From time to time Org-drill shows me a blank window instead of a
> > question. The frame, mode line and prompt to answer are visible, but
> > there's nothing in the window at all. As a workaround I can type "t" to
> > edit the tags, and the question will appear.
> >
> > A sample file is enclosed. It's a new file without any of the org-drill
> > property drawers just to keep the example short and to avoid having to
> > wait for the question to be scheduled to be shown again, but the problem
> > *does* still happen when the drawers are present.
> >
> > To reproduce the bug, run org-drill in drillbug.org; the question "MC"
> > gives a blank screen.
> >
> > I'm using org-drill with the latest version of Org-mode, git commit
> > 2f58e3c011ec84f621905332d8df68b83da580d9, on Emacs 24.3.1, 2014-09-30.
> >
> > Peter.
>
> There's no attached file...

Ugh! There is now, sorry.

Peter.

[-- Attachment #2: drillbug.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 729 bytes --]

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-29 18:54     ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-03-29 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Paul Sexton

Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, at 17:26, J. David Boyd wrote:
>> Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>>
>> > From time to time Org-drill shows me a blank window instead of a
>> > question. The frame, mode line and prompt to answer are visible, but
>> > there's nothing in the window at all. As a workaround I can type "t" to
>> > edit the tags, and the question will appear.
>> >
>> > A sample file is enclosed. It's a new file without any of the org-drill
>> > property drawers just to keep the example short and to avoid having to
>> > wait for the question to be scheduled to be shown again, but the problem
>> > *does* still happen when the drawers are present.
>> >
>> > To reproduce the bug, run org-drill in drillbug.org; the question "MC"
>> > gives a blank screen.
>> >
>> > I'm using org-drill with the latest version of Org-mode, git commit
>> > 2f58e3c011ec84f621905332d8df68b83da580d9, on Emacs 24.3.1, 2014-09-30.
>> >
>> > Peter.
>>
>> There's no attached file...
>
> Ugh! There is now, sorry.

Thanks!  I can reproduce your issue with a relatively fresh emacs 25 and
org from git.

AFAICS the window gets blanked sometimes in function
org-toggle-latex-fragment of org.el in line

;; Work around a bug that doesn't restore window's start
;; when widening back the buffer.
(set-window-start nil window-start)

A workaround would be to comment out just this line.

I don't know if this is a reliable fix though.

HTH
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-30 15:57       ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2015-03-30 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl, emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Paul Sexton

Marco,

Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't make the bug go away for me.

Peter.

@ 2015-03-30 16:54         ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-03-30 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't make the bug go away for
> me.

That's awkward.

Just to be sure: did you evaluate the function after changing the line
in function org-toggle-latex-fragment of org.el to

; (set-window-start nil window-start)

?  I ask since this fixed the issue for me and to not give up too early.

                                          Marco
--
http://www.wahlzone.de
GPG: 0x49010A040A3AE6F2

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-30 17:04           ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2015-03-30 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, at 17:54, Marco Wahl wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't make the bug go away for
> > me.
>
> That's awkward.
>
> Just to be sure: did you evaluate the function after changing the line
> in function org-toggle-latex-fragment of org.el to
>
> ; (set-window-start nil window-start)
>
> ?  I ask since this fixed the issue for me and to not give up too early.

Yes, I even restarted Emacs.

@ 2015-03-30 17:08             ` Marco Wahl
From: Marco Wahl @ 2015-03-30 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, at 17:54, Marco Wahl wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>>
>> > Thanks for the suggestion, but this doesn't make the bug go away for
>> > me.
>>
>> That's awkward.
>>
>> Just to be sure: did you evaluate the function after changing the line
>> in function org-toggle-latex-fragment of org.el to
>>
>> ; (set-window-start nil window-start)
>>
>> ?  I ask since this fixed the issue for me and to not give up too early.
>
> Yes, I even restarted Emacs.

Did you byte-compile org.el then?

* Re: org-drill problem: questions are blank
@ 2015-03-31  9:37               ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2015-03-31  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco Wahl; +Cc: Paul Sexton, emacs-orgmode

On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, at 18:08, Marco Wahl wrote:
> Peter Westlake <peter.westlake@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, at 17:54, Marco Wahl wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,

> >> That's awkward.
> >>
> >> Just to be sure: did you evaluate the function after changing the line
> >> in function org-toggle-latex-fragment of org.el to
> >>
> >> ; (set-window-start nil window-start)
> >>
> >> ?  I ask since this fixed the issue for me and to not give up too early.
> >
> > Yes, I even restarted Emacs.
>
> Did you byte-compile org.el then?

That's the thing I always forget. That does appear to work now, thank
you!

Peter.