* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-02  1:12 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-02  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Gour wrote:

> Excuse me for dumb question, but is this package meant to be something
> like org-contacts NG (something which we would really like to have)?

i don't think that's a dumb question at all!

My original motivation for developing org-vcard was to create part of a
pipeline for synchronising contacts between Org and my smartphone. My
intended plan for this pipeline is:

1. Create org-vcard to at least enable easy export and import of vCard
files between my smartphone and Org.

2. Using org-vcard as a library, create org-carddav (which i hope to
start working on shortly) in order to be able to synchronise contacts
stored in Org with arbitrary CardDAV servers.

3. Using org-carddav, set up a way of synchronising my Org-based
contacts with my smartphone-based contacts.

i'm taking this approach because:

(a) The MobileOrg release process currently appears to be stalled. A few
pull requests i've submitted to the project, one of which was intended
as the first step in making MobileOrg org-contacts.el-aware, have been
accepted, but there has been no new release including these
changes/fixes.

(b) (i) i feel org-contacts.el, as it stands, is too inflexible. It's only
aware of a relatively small number of properties, and extending this
requires directly messing around in the org-contacts.el code. i feel
that this has made it difficult to expand the list of properties
available, as it basically requires everyone to agree on exactly what
properties to add, and how.

(b) (ii) Further to (b) (i), i feel people should be able to define
their own properties, in their preferred language, without having to
write code for this.

(b) (iii) More generally, previous discussions on this topic on this
list have convinced me that it's folly to expect everyone to agree on a
single style for contacts in Org, and that what is needed is a system
that can easily accommodate the development of new contact styles,
potentially allowing an ecosystem/marketplace of styles to develop, with
particularly popular styles being considered for inclusion by default in
the system.

Given all the above, yes, i would like to see org-vcard become the basis
for an "Org contacts NG" system. (Which, to answer Feng Shu's question,
would mean that the 'tree' style would be available by default in such a
system.) Whether to actually take this approach, however, is something
i'll let the community decide. :-)

Alexis.

* Re: ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-08-03 23:23 Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2014-08-03 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Feng Shu writes:

> Is it possible support this style?

In general, i'd prefer not to implement support /myself/ for everyone's
preferred style; the idea is that people implement their own style,
including:

* the relevant mapping structure which maps Org properties to vCard
properties/types;

* the org-vcard-export-from-[new style] function; and

* the org-vcard-import-to-[new style] function.

And, preferably, new tests to accompany the new style. :-)

Then, if a new style turns out to be particularly popular, i'll consider
including it in org-vcard by default.

Having said all that, as a proof-of-concept, i'll try to create a
mapping and export function for the style you describe, for vCard 4.0,
and will post the relevant code here. :-)

Alexis.

* ANN: org-vcard. Export/import vCards. Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.
@ 2014-07-31 22:32 Alexis
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Alexis @ 2014-07-31 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

i'm pleased to announce the initial release of org-vcard, a package for
Org-based export and import of vCards:

* Backwards-compatible with org-contacts.el.

  org-vcard comes with a built-in contacts style called 'flat', which
  adheres to org-contacts' method of structuring contacts and contact
  information. It not only supports the properties specified in
  org-contacts.el, but many other properties as well.

* Basic support for vCard 4.0, 3.0 and 2.1.

  org-vcard is working towards full compliance with the vCard 4.0 (RFC
  6350), 3.0 (RFC 2426 and RFC 4770) and 2.1 specifications.

* New contacts style: 'tree'.

  org-vcard introduces a new style for Org contacts, called 'tree'.

* Highly customisable, via Emacs' customize interface.

  Modify existing contact styles; change the labels used to map contact
  details in org-mode to various vCard properties/types, or add new
  ones. Create completely new contact styles by plugging in your own
  code to handle export and import.

Further details are available on the GitHub page:

https://github.com/flexibeast/org-vcard

The package can be installed from MELPA, or downloaded and installed
manually.

Hope people find it useful!

Alexis.