From: Tobias Getzner <tobias.getzner@gmx.de>
To: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Multi-line links
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:12:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Nicolas, thank you for reply. Due to some health issues I’m only
responding now.

On So, 2014-07-06 at 21:28 +0200, Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Tobias Getzner <tobias.getzner@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > If there is some strong reason for a hard-coded limit, would it be
> > possible to expose the limit as a user-definable variable, and to fix
> > the :path truncation issue?
>
> I don't think there is a strong reason for that limitation.
>
> RFC 3986 (Appendix C) suggests how to handle multi-lines URI. We could
> use it to handle such links.
>
> Note that there is more than "org-element.el" to change though (e.g.,
> `org-make-link-regexps') and some parts of Org relying only on regexps
> to extract the path, may not work properly with such links.
>
> Do you want to work on such a patch?

I’m afraid given my nigh complete inexperience with elisp it is
unlikely I’ll be able to provide a good, generic solution for this. My
original hope was that for someone familiar with the code, there
wouldn’t be many changes needed, since multi-line descriptions seemed
to be working (though only for < 3 lines) and since the raw-path seemed
to contain the needed line-breaks already. But if I understand you
correctly, the complication is that the path parsing is the same across
different link types, and so one cannot simply fix it up so that :path
is equivalent to :raw-path, just with the link prefix stripped of?

When I experimented with making multi-line BibTeX links work, I tried
working around the issue of the path being truncated by using raw-path
instead. But it seems that this breaks when doing export, since the
handler seems to only be given the normal (truncated) path as an
argument. Is there any way to make the exporter call the export handler
with the raw-path as an argument, currently?

Best regards,
T.