From: Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@yahoo.es>
To: Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Cygwin (org-open-file (org-odt-export-to-odt nil s v) 'system) opens odt as zip
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:43:45 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

Thank you, Jambunathan.

1/ I'm running Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) of 2013-08-14 on moufang; it's Windows Emacs built into cygwin, so you don't have to have X11 installed in cygwin for graphical Emacs.

2/ I forgot to say I'm a running mintty 1.1.3 so "open" is not available, I can use cygstart instead.

3/ I will try the code you provide and I'll commit the list the progress I get.

4/ So far, cygwin+emacs+orgmode+python+perl+latex it's very nice, specially by the fact that you can propagate an  ultra-customized working-environment as easy as just copy, no doubt, a very big folder.

Miguel.

El Sábado 30 de noviembre de 2013 11:18, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> escribió:

Miguel Ruiz <rbenit68@yahoo.es> writes:

Remove all your configurations and try this.  This will use windows
"open".

(require 'org)  ;; Make sure org is loaded

(defun org-default-apps ()
  "Return the default applications for this operating system."
  (cond
   ((eq system-type 'darwin)
    org-file-apps-defaults-macosx)
   ((memq system-type '(cygwin windows-nt)) ;;  <============
    org-file-apps-defaults-windowsnt)
   (t org-file-apps-defaults-gnu)))

> "cygstart %s"

Any reason why this one is preferable windows's default "open".  Is
cygstart a recent addition or is it available even on older
distributions.

> - How can redefine or supress 'system in (org-open-file
> (org-odt-export-to-odt nil s v) 'system) line in ox-odt.el?

ODT files are zip files (can be opened in archive-mode) or they can be
opened in doc-view.

Use of 'system has generally not proved to be problematic in practice.
I think it is possible to accomplish what you want without touch or
modifying that particular line.

> - May I propose to developers to include (defconst
> org-file-apps-defaults-cygwin ... or similar?

It would be a good idea.

But, does the Emacs come from cygwin distribution or is it NT Emacs
(ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/).

Sorry, I am unable to provide concrete feedback.

As sometime user of Cygwin + Windows, I found that Cygwin is a pain and
started using native Windows Emacs and Gnu Win32 libraries.

I have now moved to Debian now.