* Using git-annex with org-attach
@ 2012-10-20 14:59 John Wiegley
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: John Wiegley @ 2012-10-20 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Joey Hess

I pushed a change to master that allows you to use the wonderful git-annex
utility[1] seamlessly with org-attach.  The way it works is as follows:

 1. If your `org-attach-directory' is a git working tree,

 2. and if you have run "git annex init" there,

 3. and if `org-attach-git-annex-cutoff' is non-nil and smaller than the size
    of the file you're attaching,

 4. then org-attach will "git annex add" the file; otherwise it will "git add"
    it.  (See the documentation for git-annex to discover exactly what this
    distinction means; basically it's the difference between "stored in Git
    forever", and "check-summed and tracked until I decide I don't need it on
    this machine anymore").

 5. You will have to run "git annex sync" yourself afterwards, or use the "git
    annex assistant" to keep your attachments automagically in sync with all
    your machines whenever they are reachable.

The value of git-annex is that it lets you associate truly huge files with a
Git repository that are check-summed and easily archived, which you can then
drop from your local attachments directory when you no longer need the file
there.  Later, if you need files that you dropped, use `C-c C-a F' and `M-!
git annex get . RET' to re-download those attachments back into your local
repo.

John

Footnotes:
[1]  http://git-annex.branchable.com/

* tnx (was: Re:  Using git-annex with org-attach)
@ 2012-10-22  9:43 ` Giovanni Ridolfi
> I pushed a change to master that allows you to use the wonderful git-annex
> utility[1] seamlessly with org-attach.  The way it works is as follows:

Amazing! Thank you!

Giovanni

* Re: Using git-annex with org-attach
@ 2012-10-22 21:31 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2012-10-22 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> The value of git-annex is that it lets you associate truly huge files with a
> Git repository that are check-summed and easily archived, which you can then
> drop from your local attachments directory when you no longer need the file
> there.  Later, if you need files that you dropped, use `C-c C-a F' and `M-!
> git annex get . RET' to re-download those attachments back into your local
> repo.

I have some further git-annex integration here:

    https://github.com/jwiegley/git-annex-el

In particular, when you use C-c C-a F to visit the attachments directory in
dired, locally available annexed files will be green, and locally unavailable
files will be red.  Use @g to get unavailable files from another reachable
repository, and @d to drop them from your local repository.

If you open the file in Emacs and type C-x C-q to make it editable, this will
automatically do a "git annex edit", and when the buffer dies it will "git
annex add" the new version and then do a "git commit" automatically.

John

* Re: Using git-annex with org-attach
@ 2012-10-24 14:06 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-10-24 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode; +Cc: Joey Hess

Hi John,

"John Wiegley" <johnw@newartisans.com> writes:

> I pushed a change to master that allows you to use the wonderful git-annex
> utility[1] seamlessly with org-attach.

That's a great addition!  I didn't now git annex but from your
description it looks like a win.

Thanks again,

--
 Bastien