From: Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu>
To: John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc: tomas@tuxteam.de, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Get =#+RESULTS= without re-evaluating source code block?
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 06:26:17 +0300	[thread overview]

John,

> I tried this but it did not work for me.

to be clear, caching means that the *first* time you execute, your
reference will have to wait for the long-running computation to
complete, but not during subsequent executions (unless the source block
that performs the execution changes, in which case the reference will
again have to wait).

also, caching means that, after the first execution (ditto caveat) the
source block *will no longer run*.  so, if there were any (other) side
effects of running that source block, they will not happen.  (you could
possibly split the side effect-producing code out of that block.)

i'm not sure if this explains what did not work for you.

cheers, Greg