Otherwise is like in vi, the additional stars (like **, opposed to *) are too noisy, and since I do not want to see them whether it is in org-mode or in vi, etc, so I wondered was there a way to have the file like * first level heading  * second level heading    * third level heading highlighted like in hidestars except there would be no stars to hide. Best wishes, Enda ________________________________ From: Nick Dokos To: Enda Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 6:30 PM Subject: Re: [O] #+STARTUP: showstars Enda wrote: > With #+STARTUP: hidestars, the output looks nice in Emacs org-mode but > not otherwise, can there be an option where a line beginning with a > space and a star is like two stars with the hidestars option and a > line beginning with two spaces and a star is like three stars (it > could be called #+STARTUP: showstars (and even enabled by default)) > What do you mean by "otherwise"? Something like fundamental mode? Or when you cat the file? If the former, all I can suggest is to enable org-mode in the buffer. If the latter, try exporting to ascii. In any case, such an option would require major changes to the code, I believe.  It's unlikely to be implemented. Nick PS My opinion only, and bear in mind I'm not a maintainer.