* Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-21 20:17 Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2012-04-21 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-Mode List

Greetings.  I'm sitting in on a weekly, informal, "brown-bag" seminar on data
technologies in statistics.  There are more people attending the seminar than
there are weeks in which to give talks, so I may get by with being my usual,
passive-slug self.

But I thought it might be useful to have a contingency plan and decided that
giving a brief talk about Babel might be useful/instructive.  I thought (and
think) that mushing together (with attribution) some of the content of the
paper [1] by The Gang of Four and the content of Eric's talk [2] might be a
good approach.  (BTW, if this isn't legal, desirable, permissible, etc., this
would be a good time to tell me.)

I liked the Pascal's Triangle example (which morphed from elisp to Python, or
vice versa, in the two references), but I was afraid that the elisp routine
"pst-check", used as a check on the correctness of the previously-generated
Pascal's triangle, might be too esoteric for this audience, not to mention me.
(The recursive Fibonacci function is virtually identical in all languages,
but the second part is more obscure.)

I thought it should be possible to use R to do the same sanity check, as R
would be much more-familiar to this audience (and its use would still
demonstrate the meta-language feature of Babel).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to communicate the output of
the Pascal's Triangle example to an R source-code block.  The gist of the
problem seems to be that regardless of how I try to grab the data (scan,
readLines, etc.) Babel always ends up trying to read a data frame (table) and
I get an error similar to:

<<<<<<
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
> : line 1 did not have 5 elements

Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit

1: read.table("/tmp/babel-3780tje/R-import-3780Akj", header = FALSE, row.names
= NULL, sep = "

If I construct a table "by hand" with all of the cells occupied, everything
goes OK.  For instance:

<<<<<<
#+TBLNAME: some-junk
| 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
| 1 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
| 1 | 3 | 3 | 1 |

#+NAME: read-some-junk(sj_input=some-junk)
#+BEGIN_SRC R

rowSums(sj_input)

#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: read-some-junk
| 1 |
| 2 |
| 4 |
| 8 |

But the following gives the kind of error I described above:

<<<<<<
#+name: pascals_triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
def pascals_triangle(n):
    if n == 0:
        return [[1]]
    prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
    prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
    this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
    return prev_triangle + [this_row]

pascals_triangle(n)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

#+name: pst-checkR(pas_inputs=pascals_triangle)
#+BEGIN_SRC R

rowSums(pas_inputs)

#+END_SRC

Note that I don't really want to do rowSums in this case.  I'm just trying to
demonstrate the error.

Of course, it's clear that the first line does NOT contain five elements, nor
does the second, etc., as all of the above-diagonal elements are blanks.

But I've been unable to find an R input function that doesn't end up treating
the source data as a table, i.e., in the context of Babel source blocks -- R
is "happy" to read a lower-diagonal structure.  See the appendix for an
example.

Any suggestions?  Note that I'm happy to acknowledge that my own ignorance of
R and/or Babel might be the source of the problem.  If so, please enlighten
me.

Thanks.

-- Mike

[1] http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i03
[2] https://github.com/eschulte/babel-presentation

<<<<<<
appendix
--------

$ cat pascal.dat
1
1 1
1 2 1
1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1

$ R --vanilla < pascal.R

R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
Copyright (C) 2012 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)
.
.
.

> x <- readLines("pascal.dat")
[1] "1"         "1 1"       "1 2 1"     "1 3 3 1"   "1 4 6 4 1"
> str(x)
 chr [1:5] "1" "1 1" "1 2 1" "1 3 3 1" "1 4 6 4 1"

> y <- scan("pascal.dat")
Read 15 items
 [1] 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 3 3 1 1 4 6 4 1
> str(y)
 num [1:15] 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 3 3 1 ...

> z <- read.table("pascal.dat", header=FALSE)
Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,  :
  line 1 did not have 5 elements
Calls: read.table -> scan
Execution halted

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-22  0:44 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-22  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Aloha Michael,

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:

> [...]
> | 1 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
> | 1 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
>
> #+NAME: read-some-junk(sj_input=some-junk)
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>
> rowSums(sj_input)
>
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS: read-some-junk
> | 1 |
> | 2 |
> | 4 |
> | 8 |
>>>>>>>

> But the following gives the kind of error I described above:
>
> <<<<<<
> #+name: pascals_triangle
> #+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
> def pascals_triangle(n):
>     if n == 0:
>         return [[1]]
>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))

A few things are wrong at this point.  It seems the JSS article has
an error in the header of the pascals_triangle source block.  AFAIK
there is no header argument :return.  I don't know how :return
pascals_triangle(5) got there, but am fairly certain it shouldn't be.

Second is the last line of the source block.  It should read:
return pascals_triangle(n)

Third, in the JSS article the name of the source code block is
pascals-triangle, to distinguish it from the name of the python function
pascals_triangle (note the underscore in place of the hyphen).

So, with these changes made, I have this, which works for me:

#+name: pascals-triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none
  def pascals_triangle(n):
      if n == 0:
          return [[1]]
      prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
      prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
      this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
      return prev_triangle + [this_row]
  return pascals_triangle(n)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

#+CALL: pascals-triangle(5)

#+RESULTS: pascals-triangle(5)
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

> #+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
> | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
> | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>
> #+name: pst-checkR(pas_inputs=pascals_triangle)
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>
> rowSums(pas_inputs)
>
> #+END_SRC

I vaguely remember that it once was possible to pass variables in
through the name line, but I couldn't find this syntax in some fairly
recent documentation.  It does appear to work still using a recent
Org-mode.  If I rename the results and then pass that to the source code
block, all is well.

#+RESULTS: pascals-tri
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

#+name: pst-checkR(p=pascals-tri)
#+BEGIN_SRC R
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: pst-checkR

| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |

This looks like a bug to me, but Eric S. will know better what might be
going on.  I can't do much more than this, but I'm optimistic things
will be sorted out before your turn to speak at the seminar rolls
around.

Thanks for bringing the error in the JSS article to light.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-22 15:58   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Michael Hannon, Org-Mode List

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Michael,
>
> Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Greetings.  I'm sitting in on a weekly, informal, "brown-bag" seminar on data
>> technologies in statistics.  There are more people attending the seminar than
>> there are weeks in which to give talks, so I may get by with being my usual,
>> passive-slug self.
>>
>> But I thought it might be useful to have a contingency plan and decided that
>> giving a brief talk about Babel might be useful/instructive.  I thought (and
>> think) that mushing together (with attribution) some of the content of the
>> paper [1] by The Gang of Four and the content of Eric's talk [2] might be a
>> good approach.  (BTW, if this isn't legal, desirable, permissible, etc., this
>> would be a good time to tell me.)

I would be happy for you to re-use these materials.

>> I liked the Pascal's Triangle example (which morphed from elisp to Python, or
>> vice versa, in the two references), but I was afraid that the elisp routine
>> "pst-check", used as a check on the correctness of the previously-generated
>> Pascal's triangle, might be too esoteric for this audience, not to mention me.
>> (The recursive Fibonacci function is virtually identical in all languages,
>> but the second part is more obscure.)

I was giving a presentation to a local lisp/scheme user group, so I
figured I'd spare them the pain of trying to read python code :).

>> I thought it should be possible to use R to do the same sanity check, as R
>> would be much more-familiar to this audience (and its use would still
>> demonstrate the meta-language feature of Babel).
>>
>> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to communicate the output of
>> the Pascal's Triangle example to an R source-code block.  The gist of the
>> problem seems to be that regardless of how I try to grab the data (scan,
>> readLines, etc.) Babel always ends up trying to read a data frame (table) and
>> I get an error similar to:

I present some options below specific to Tom's discussion, but another
option may be to use the ":results output" option on a python code block
which prints the table to STDOUT, and then use something line readLines
to read from the resulting string into R.

>> <<<<<<
>>> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
>>> : line 1 did not have 5 elements
>>
>> Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit
>>
>> 1: read.table("/tmp/babel-3780tje/R-import-3780Akj", header = FALSE, row.names
>> = NULL, sep = "
>>>>>>>>

>> If I construct a table "by hand" with all of the cells occupied, everything
>> goes OK.  For instance:
>>
>> <<<<<<
>> #+TBLNAME: some-junk
>> | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
>> | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
>> | 1 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
>> | 1 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
>>
>> #+NAME: read-some-junk(sj_input=some-junk)
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>>
>> rowSums(sj_input)
>>
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS: read-some-junk
>> | 1 |
>> | 2 |
>> | 4 |
>> | 8 |
>>>>>>>>

>> But the following gives the kind of error I described above:
>>
>> <<<<<<
>> #+name: pascals_triangle
>> #+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
>> def pascals_triangle(n):
>>     if n == 0:
>>         return [[1]]
>>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
>>     return prev_triangle + [this_row]
>>
>> pascals_triangle(n)
>> #+end_src
>
> A few things are wrong at this point.  It seems the JSS article has
> an error in the header of the pascals_triangle source block.  AFAIK
> there is no header argument :return.  I don't know how :return
> pascals_triangle(5) got there, but am fairly certain it shouldn't be.

The :return header argument *is* a supported header argument of python
code blocks and is not an error.  The python code block should run w/o
error and without the extra "return pascals_triangle(n)" at the bottom.
The following works for me.

#+name: pascals_triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
def pascals_triangle(n):
    if n == 0:
        return [[1]]
    prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
    prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
    this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
    return prev_triangle + [this_row]

#+end_src

#+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

[...]
> I vaguely remember that it once was possible to pass variables in
> through the name line, but I couldn't find this syntax in some fairly
> recent documentation.

This style of passing arguments is still supported, but not necessarily
encouraged by the documentation.

> It does appear to work still using a recent Org-mode.  If I rename the
> results and then pass that to the source code block, all is well.
>
> #+RESULTS: pascals-tri
> | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
> | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>

> #+name: pst-checkR(p=pascals-tri)
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> #+END_SRC
>
> #+RESULTS: pst-checkR
>
> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
> | 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |
>
> This looks like a bug to me, but Eric S. will know better what might be
> going on.

The above is due to the inability of R (or at least of the read.table
function) to read in tables with different row length.  The process of
writing to an Org-mode table and *then* referencing that table as Tom
suggests above has the side effect of filling in blank spots in the
final exported table, turning what would otherwise be something like

1
1  1
1  2  1

into something like

1  ""  ""
1   1  ""
1   2  1

You could also use a function like the following to explicitly fill in
these missing lines.

#+name: padded_pascals_triangle
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var data=pascals_triangle
  (let ((max-length (apply #'max (mapcar #'length data))))
    (mapcar (lambda (row)
              (append row (make-vector (- max-length (length row)) "") nil))
            data))
#+end_src

> I can't do much more than this, but I'm optimistic things will be
> sorted out before your turn to speak at the seminar rolls around.
>
> Thanks for bringing the error in the JSS article to light.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

I often have to explicitly convert data read into R code blocks as a
table into some other data structure like a vector or a matrix.  I run
into this myself when trying to use the statistical functions of R.  It
generally takes a while to look up the function to do the conversion,
but I imagine that there is a reason why people who know more R than I
do chose to make tables the default data type for data read into R
blocks.

Best,

Combining the examples above yields the following,

[-- Attachment #2: example.org --]
[-- Type: text/x-org, Size: 924 bytes --]

#+name: pascals_triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5) :results vector
def pascals_triangle(n):
    if n == 0:
        return [[1]]
    prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
    prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
    this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
    return prev_triangle + [this_row]

#+end_src

#+name: padded_pascals_triangle
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :var data=pascals_triangle
  (let ((max-length (apply #'max (mapcar #'length data))))
    (mapcar (lambda (row)
              (append row (make-vector (- max-length (length row)) "") nil))
            data))
#+end_src

#+begin_src R :var data=padded_pascals_triangle
data
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-23 15:41       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-23 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Michael Hannon, Org-Mode List

[...]
> I'm beginning to see why you have strong feelings about python.

Semantically meaningful whitespace is a bad idea for a programming
langauge.

> In the code above, the blank line before #+end_src is necessary and
> must not contain any spaces, and :var n can be set to anything, since
> it is declared for initialization only.
>
> The code in the JSS article doesn't run for me with a recent Org-mode
> unless I add a blank line before #+end_src, or remove the :return header
> argument.  If I remove the :return header argument, then the need for
> the blank line goes away.  The following code block seems to work:
>
> #+name: pascals-triangle
> #+begin_src python :var n=2 :exports none
> def pascals_triangle(n):
>     if n == 0:
>         return [[1]]
>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
>     return prev_triangle + [this_row]
> return pascals_triangle(n)
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
>
> | 1 |   |   |
> | 1 | 1 |   |
> | 1 | 2 | 1 |
>
> I'm guessing that the need for a blank line when using :results has
> arisen since the JSS article was published, because the article was
> generated from source code and didn't show any errors.

I believe that we used to pad code blocks with newlines when they were
extracted from the buffer, which had the effect of automatically adding
this extra line.  This behavior however caused problems in some cases
where the extra line was not desired.

> If I have this right (a big if), then might it be possible to
> re-establish the old behavior so the JSS code works?

I've just pushed up a patch in which the addition of the return value in
python is careful to add this newline itself.  This should restore the
functionality of the python code from the paper (specifically the
following now works [1]).  This is applied to the maint branch so
hopefully it will sync with Emacs before the release of Emacs24.

Best,

Footnotes:
[1]

#+name: pascals-triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=2 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(n)

@ 2012-04-23 16:46     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Michael Hannon, Org-Mode List

Hi Eric,

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> Aloha Michael,
>>
>> Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Greetings.  I'm sitting in on a weekly, informal, "brown-bag" seminar on data
>>> technologies in statistics.  There are more people attending the seminar than
>>> there are weeks in which to give talks, so I may get by with being my usual,
>>> passive-slug self.
>>>
>>> But I thought it might be useful to have a contingency plan and decided that
>>> giving a brief talk about Babel might be useful/instructive.  I thought (and
>>> think) that mushing together (with attribution) some of the content of the
>>> paper [1] by The Gang of Four and the content of Eric's talk [2] might be a
>>> good approach.  (BTW, if this isn't legal, desirable, permissible, etc., this
>>> would be a good time to tell me.)
>>>

> I would be happy for you to re-use these materials.
>

>>> I liked the Pascal's Triangle example (which morphed from elisp to Python, or
>>> vice versa, in the two references), but I was afraid that the elisp routine
>>> "pst-check", used as a check on the correctness of the previously-generated
>>> Pascal's triangle, might be too esoteric for this audience, not to mention me.
>>> (The recursive Fibonacci function is virtually identical in all languages,
>>> but the second part is more obscure.)
>>>

> I was giving a presentation to a local lisp/scheme user group, so I
> figured I'd spare them the pain of trying to read python code :).
>

>>> I thought it should be possible to use R to do the same sanity check, as R
>>> would be much more-familiar to this audience (and its use would still
>>> demonstrate the meta-language feature of Babel).
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to communicate the output of
>>> the Pascal's Triangle example to an R source-code block.  The gist of the
>>> problem seems to be that regardless of how I try to grab the data (scan,
>>> readLines, etc.) Babel always ends up trying to read a data frame (table) and
>>> I get an error similar to:
>>>

> I present some options below specific to Tom's discussion, but another
> option may be to use the ":results output" option on a python code block
> which prints the table to STDOUT, and then use something line readLines
> to read from the resulting string into R.

I didn't have any luck with :results output, but didn't spend much time
trying to figure it out.

>>> <<<<<<
>>>
>>> Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit
>>>
>>> 1: read.table("/tmp/babel-3780tje/R-import-3780Akj", header = FALSE, row.names
>>> = NULL, sep = "
>>>>>>>>>

>>> If I construct a table "by hand" with all of the cells occupied, everything
>>> goes OK.  For instance:
>>>
>>> <<<<<<
>>> #+TBLNAME: some-junk
>>> | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
>>> | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0 |
>>> | 1 | 2 | 1 | 0 |
>>> | 1 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
>>>
>>> #+NAME: read-some-junk(sj_input=some-junk)
>>> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>>>
>>> rowSums(sj_input)
>>>
>>> #+END_SRC
>>>
>>> #+RESULTS: read-some-junk
>>> | 1 |
>>> | 2 |
>>> | 4 |
>>> | 8 |
>>>>>>>>>

>>> But the following gives the kind of error I described above:
>>>
>>> <<<<<<
>>> #+name: pascals_triangle
>>> #+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
>>> def pascals_triangle(n):
>>>     if n == 0:
>>>         return [[1]]
>>>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>>>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>>>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
>>>     return prev_triangle + [this_row]
>>>
>>> pascals_triangle(n)
>>> #+end_src
>>
>> A few things are wrong at this point.  It seems the JSS article has
>> an error in the header of the pascals_triangle source block.  AFAIK
>> there is no header argument :return.  I don't know how :return
>> pascals_triangle(5) got there, but am fairly certain it shouldn't be.
>>

> The :return header argument *is* a supported header argument of python
> code blocks and is not an error.  The python code block should run w/o
> error and without the extra "return pascals_triangle(n)" at the bottom.
> The following works for me.
>
> #+name: pascals_triangle
> #+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :return pascals_triangle(5)
> def pascals_triangle(n):
>     if n == 0:
>         return [[1]]
>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
>     return prev_triangle + [this_row]
>
> #+end_src
>
> #+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
> | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
> | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>
> [...]

I'm beginning to see why you have strong feelings about python.  In the
> [...]

>> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>>

>> #+name: pst-checkR(p=pascals-tri)
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>> #+END_SRC
>>
>> #+RESULTS: pst-checkR
>>
>> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
>> | 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |
>>
>> This looks like a bug to me, but Eric S. will know better what might be
>> going on.
>
> The above is due to the inability of R (or at least of the read.table
> function) to read in tables with different row length.  The process of
> writing to an Org-mode table and *then* referencing that table as Tom
> suggests above has the side effect of filling in blank spots in the
> final exported table, turning what would otherwise be something like

Thanks for this explanation.  It makes sense that mapping a python data
structure to an R data structure would involve an intermediate
representation.

All the best,
Tom

> [...]
> | 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
> | 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |
>

>>> Note that I don't really want to do rowSums in this case.  I'm just trying to
>>> demonstrate the error.
>>>
>>> Of course, it's clear that the first line does NOT contain five elements, nor
>>> does the second, etc., as all of the above-diagonal elements are blanks.
>>>
>>> But I've been unable to find an R input function that doesn't end up treating
>>> the source data as a table, i.e., in the context of Babel source blocks -- R
>>> is "happy" to read a lower-diagonal structure.  See the appendix for an
>>> example.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?  Note that I'm happy to acknowledge that my own ignorance of
>>> R and/or Babel might be the source of the problem.  If so, please enlighten

>>> 1 1
>>> 1 2 1
>>> 1 3 3 1

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-23 19:17         ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-23 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org-mode

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

> [...]
>>
>> I'm beginning to see why you have strong feelings about python.
>
> Semantically meaningful whitespace is a bad idea for a programming
> langauge.

Yes, this makes sense to me.  I suppose I should wean myself from python
now that I use babel as a "glue language."

>> In the code above, the blank line before #+end_src is necessary and
>> must not contain any spaces, and :var n can be set to anything, since
>> it is declared for initialization only.
>>
>> The code in the JSS article doesn't run for me with a recent Org-mode
>> unless I add a blank line before #+end_src, or remove the :return header
>> argument.  If I remove the :return header argument, then the need for
>> the blank line goes away.  The following code block seems to work:
>>
>> #+name: pascals-triangle
>> #+begin_src python :var n=2 :exports none
>> def pascals_triangle(n):
>>     if n == 0:
>>         return [[1]]
>>     prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
>>     prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
>>     this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
>>     return prev_triangle + [this_row]
>> return pascals_triangle(n)
>> #+end_src
>>
>> #+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
>>
>> | 1 |   |   |
>> | 1 | 1 |   |
>> | 1 | 2 | 1 |
>>
>> I'm guessing that the need for a blank line when using :results has
>> arisen since the JSS article was published, because the article was
>> generated from source code and didn't show any errors.
>>

> I believe that we used to pad code blocks with newlines when they were
> extracted from the buffer, which had the effect of automatically adding
> this extra line.  This behavior however caused problems in some cases
> where the extra line was not desired.
>

>> If I have this right (a big if), then might it be possible to
>> re-establish the old behavior so the JSS code works?
>>

> I've just pushed up a patch in which the addition of the return value in
> python is careful to add this newline itself.  This should restore the
> functionality of the python code from the paper (specifically the
> following now works [1]).  This is applied to the maint branch so
> hopefully it will sync with Emacs before the release of Emacs24.

Thanks Eric.  The source block in the paper returns the correct result
with the code in the maint branch.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-23 21:05       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-23 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Thomas S. Dye

[...]
> I.e.,it seems that Org is going to do its own "read.table" before even
> looking at the code in the source block.

Yes, this is true, Org will use read.table to read in tabular data.  See
the code in lisp/ob-R.el for specifics.

> Is there some way to get Org to use the "fill=TRUE" option on a case-by-case
> basis?

Yes, The attached patch allows the :fill header argument to be specified
adding "fill=TRUE" to the read.table function call.  Please try it out
and let me know if it works for you.

[-- Attachment #2: 0001-add-fill-header-argument-to-R-code-blocks.patch --]

From 45240d367eb981a93f3c694946d4f2a99044cda5 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 17:04:37 -0400
Subject: [PATCH] add :fill header argument to R code blocks

* lisp/ob-R.el (org-babel-header-args:R): List this as a viable R
  header argument.
  (org-babel-variable-assignments:R): Check the value of this new
  :fill header argument.
  (org-babel-R-assign-elisp): Set "fill=TRUE" if the :fill header
  argument has been used.
---
 lisp/ob-R.el |   33 +++++++++++++++++++++------------

diff --git a/lisp/ob-R.el b/lisp/ob-R.el
index 9538dc4..1427641 100644
--- a/lisp/ob-R.el
+++ b/lisp/ob-R.el
@@ -61,6 +61,7 @@
     (colormodel		 . :any)
     (useDingbats	 . :any)
     (horizontal		 . :any)
+    (fill                . ((yes no)))
     (results             . ((file list vector table scalar verbatim)
 			    (raw org html latex code pp wrap)
 			    (replace silent append prepend)
@@ -148,7 +149,8 @@ This function is called by `org-babel-execute-src-block'."
        (org-babel-R-assign-elisp
 	(car pair) (cdr pair)
 	(equal "yes" (cdr (assoc :colnames params)))
-	(equal "yes" (cdr (assoc :rownames params)))))
+	(equal "yes" (cdr (assoc :rownames params)))
+	(equal "yes" (cdr (assoc :fill params)))))
      (mapcar
       (lambda (i)
 	(cons (car (nth i vars))
@@ -164,19 +166,26 @@ This function is called by `org-babel-execute-src-block'."
       (concat "\"" (mapconcat 'identity (split-string s "\"") "\"\"") "\"")
     (format "%S" s)))

-(defun org-babel-R-assign-elisp (name value colnames-p rownames-p)
+(defun org-babel-R-assign-elisp (name value colnames-p rownames-p fill-p)
   "Construct R code assigning the elisp VALUE to a variable named NAME."
   (if (listp value)
-      (let ((transition-file (org-babel-temp-file "R-import-")))
-        ;; ensure VALUE has an orgtbl structure (depth of at least 2)
-        (unless (listp (car value)) (setq value (list value)))
-        (with-temp-file transition-file
-          (insert (orgtbl-to-tsv value '(:fmt org-babel-R-quote-tsv-field)))
-          (insert "\n"))
-        (format "%s <- read.table(\"%s\", header=%s, row.names=%s, sep=\"\\t\", as.is=TRUE)"
-                name (org-babel-process-file-name transition-file 'noquote)
-		(if (or (eq (nth 1 value) 'hline) colnames-p) "TRUE" "FALSE")
-		(if rownames-p "1" "NULL")))
+      (flet ((R-bool (bool) (if bool "TRUE" "FALSE")))
+	(let ((transition-file (org-babel-temp-file "R-import-")))
+	  ;; ensure VALUE has an orgtbl structure (depth of at least 2)
+	  (unless (listp (car value)) (setq value (list value)))
+	  (with-temp-file transition-file
+	    (insert (orgtbl-to-tsv value '(:fmt org-babel-R-quote-tsv-field)))
+	    (insert "\n"))
+	  (format "%s <- read.table(\"%s\", %s, as.is=TRUE)"
+		  name (org-babel-process-file-name transition-file 'noquote)
+		  (mapconcat (lambda (pair) (concat (car pair) "=" (cdr pair)))
+			     `(("header"    . ,(R-bool (or (eq (nth 1 value)
+							       'hline)
+							   colnames-p)))
+			       ("row.names" . ,(if rownames-p "1" "NULL"))
+			       ("sep"       . "\"\\t\"")
+			       ("fill"      . ,(R-bool fill-p)))
+			     ", "))))
     (format "%s <- %s" name (org-babel-R-quote-tsv-field value))))

 (defvar ess-ask-for-ess-directory nil)
--
1.7.10

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-23 22:24     ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2012-04-23 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte, Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-Mode List

Greetings.  I'm sorry to belabor this, but I thought I had found a relatively
clean way to pass a "ragged" table to an R source-code block.  Simple answer:
add the "fill=TRUE" option to the read.table function.  Please see the
appended for the log of an R session that does what I want.

I then tried to do the same thing in an R source-code block:

    #+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
    | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
    | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
    | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
    | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
    | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
    | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

    #+NAME: sanity-check(sc_input=pascals_triangle)
    #+BEGIN_SRC R

    pt <- read.table(sc_input, fill=TRUE)
    rowSums(pt)

    #+END_SRC

Unfortunately, this still results in the "error" that the first line did not
contain five elements:

<<<<<<<<<<
> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
> :
  line 1 did not have 5 elements

Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit

1: read.table("/tmp/babel-3780tje/R-import-37801if", header = FALSE, row.names
= NULL, sep = "
2: scan(file = file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote, dec = dec, nmax =
nrows, skip = 0,

I.e.,it seems that Org is going to do its own "read.table" before even
looking at the code in the source block.

Is there some way to get Org to use the "fill=TRUE" option on a case-by-case
basis?

Thanks.

-- Mike

Appendix: R code that correctly reads and processes a Pascal's triangle

> system("cat pascal.dat")
1
1 1
1 2 1
1 3 3 1
1 4 6 4 1

> x <- read.table("pascal.dat", fill=TRUE)

  V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
1  1 NA NA NA NA
2  1  1 NA NA NA
3  1  2  1 NA NA
4  1  3  3  1 NA
5  1  4  6  4  1

> y <- as.matrix(x)

     V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
[1,]  1 NA NA NA NA
[2,]  1  1 NA NA NA
[3,]  1  2  1 NA NA
[4,]  1  3  3  1 NA
[5,]  1  4  6  4  1

> y[is.na(y)] <- 0

     V1 V2 V3 V4 V5
[1,]  1  0  0  0  0
[2,]  1  1  0  0  0
[3,]  1  2  1  0  0
[4,]  1  3  3  1  0
[5,]  1  4  6  4  1

> dimnames(y)[[2]]=NULL  #### cosmetic change

     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
[1,]    1    0    0    0    0
[2,]    1    1    0    0    0
[3,]    1    2    1    0    0
[4,]    1    3    3    1    0
[5,]    1    4    6    4    1

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-23 22:55         ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2012-04-23 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Michael Hannon, Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

> If I add fill=TRUE to that (on a git branch), then I get this:
>
> #+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
> | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
> | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
> | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>
> #+NAME: sanity-check
> #+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
> #+BEGIN_SRC R
> sc_input
> #+END_SRC
> #+RESULTS: sanity-check
>
> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil |
> | 1 |   3 |   3 | 1   | nil |
> | 1 |   4 |   6 | 4   | 1   |
> | 1 |   5 |  10 | 10  | 5   |
> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>
> which isn't correct, but gets past the scan error.

Hmm, this happens with my patch applied as well.  It seems to me this
*must* be an R error.  The raw textual data pre-import has no such wrap.

[-- Attachment #2: R-import-19562ZU2 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 44 bytes --]

1
1	1
1	2	1
1	3	3	1
1	4	6	4	1
1	5	10	10	5	1

Why would R intentionally wrap a table at an arbitrary column?

> I'm in over my head here, but hope that my curiosity hasn't been too
> noisy.

Me too.  Unless someone who is familiar with the motivations and design
decisions behind R's read.table function, I'm inclined to leave the
current Org-mode code as is.

Eric Schulte
http://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte/

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-24  0:23       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-24  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:

> Greetings.  I'm sorry to belabor this, but I thought I had found a relatively
> clean way to pass a "ragged" table to an R source-code block.  Simple answer:
> add the "fill=TRUE" option to the read.table function.  Please see the
> appended for the log of an R session that does what I want.
>
> I then tried to do the same thing in an R source-code block:
>
>     #+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
>     | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
>     | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
>     | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
>     | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
>     | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
>     | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>

>     #+NAME: sanity-check(sc_input=pascals_triangle)
>     #+BEGIN_SRC R
>
>     pt <- read.table(sc_input, fill=TRUE)
>     rowSums(pt)
>
>     #+END_SRC
>
> Unfortunately, this still results in the "error" that the first line did not
> contain five elements:
>
> <<<<<<<<<<
>> Error in scan(file, what, nmax, sep, dec, quote, skip, nlines, na.strings,
>> :
>   line 1 did not have 5 elements
>
> Enter a frame number, or 0 to exit
>
> 1: read.table("/tmp/babel-3780tje/R-import-37801if", header = FALSE, row.names
> = NULL, sep = "
> 2: scan(file = file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote, dec = dec, nmax =
> nrows, skip = 0,
>>>>>>>>>>>

> I.e.,it seems that Org is going to do its own "read.table" before even
> looking at the code in the source block.

Yes, I believe this happens when Org assigns values to R variables.

> Is there some way to get Org to use the "fill=TRUE" option on a case-by-case
> basis?

I don't think so.  The call to read.table in org-babel-R-assign-elisp
doesn't use the fill option:

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-24  6:44           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-24  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: Michael Hannon, Org-Mode List

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte@gmx.com> writes:

>> If I add fill=TRUE to that (on a git branch), then I get this:
>>
>> #+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
>> | 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
>> | 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
>> | 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
>> | 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
>> | 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
>> | 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |
>>
>> #+NAME: sanity-check
>> #+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
>> #+BEGIN_SRC R
>> sc_input
>> #+END_SRC
>> #+RESULTS: sanity-check
>>
>> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil |
>> | 1 |   3 |   3 | 1   | nil |
>> | 1 |   4 |   6 | 4   | 1   |
>> | 1 |   5 |  10 | 10  | 5   |
>> | 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>
>> which isn't correct, but gets past the scan error.
>>

> Hmm, this happens with my patch applied as well.  It seems to me this
> *must* be an R error.  The raw textual data pre-import has no such wrap.
>
> 1
> 1	1
> 1	2	1
> 1	3	3	1
> 1	4	6	4	1
> 1	5	10	10	5	1
>
> Why would R intentionally wrap a table at an arbitrary column?
>

>> I'm in over my head here, but hope that my curiosity hasn't been too
>> noisy.
>>

> Me too.  Unless someone who is familiar with the motivations and design
> decisions behind R's read.table function, I'm inclined to leave the
> current Org-mode code as is.
>
> Thanks,

The documentation of read.table has this:

The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five
lines of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or
from the length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This
could conceivably be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so
specify col.names if necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).

The example is this:

read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))

where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.

This explains why the sixth line wraps.

Unfortunately, ncol passed to seq_len doesn't cooperate.  I can hard
code the read.table call this way:

        (format "%s <- read.table(\"%s\", header=%s, row.names=%s, sep=\"\\t\", as.is=TRUE, fill=TRUE, col.names = paste(\"V\", seq_len(6), sep = \"\"))"

This works for the example with six columns:

#+RESULTS: pascals-triangle
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

#+NAME: sanity-check
#+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
#+BEGIN_SRC R
sc_input
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: sanity-check

| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil |
| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 | 1   | nil |
| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 | 5   | 1   |

I think that seq_len(%s) passed the number of columns in the orgtbl-tsv
table might do the trick, but I don't know how to do this, or if this
information is available.  I also don't have any idea what these changes
might do to regular tables.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-24  7:07             ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2012-04-24  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye, Eric Schulte; +Cc: Org-Mode List

On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
.
.
.
> The documentation of read.table has this:

> The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five lines
> of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or from the
> length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This could conceivably
> be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so specify col.names if
> necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).

> The example is this:

> read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
>         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))

> where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.

> This explains why the sixth line wraps.
.
.
.

Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a mile
in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part of R
seems totally stupid to me.

I'm going to have to mull this over some more.

-- Mike

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-24 17:18               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-24 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> .
> .
> .
>> The documentation of read.table has this:
>
>> The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five lines
>> of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or from the
>> length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This could conceivably
>> be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so specify col.names if
>> necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).
>
>> The example is this:
>
>> read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
>>         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))
>
>> where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.
>
>> This explains why the sixth line wraps.
> .
> .
> .
>
> Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a mile
> in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part of R
> seems totally stupid to me.
>
> I'm going to have to mull this over some more.
>
> -- Mike

Yes, please do. I'm not a programmer, and often get things wrong, but I
trust you'll help rein me in if I get off on a tangent.

It would be good if this limitation in ob-R were eliminated.  The way I
see it, ob-R is designed to handle a subset of the expected input.  It
coerces a variable into a tsv table, then reads it into R, expecting all
cells are filled.  At the same time, other babel modules are free to
export structures (in the Pascal's triangle example, a list of lists)
that orgtbl-to-tsv interprets as a table with empty cells.  It would be
nice if ob-R could be made to read all the tables that orgtbl-to-tsv is
able to create.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-24 19:23                 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>> The documentation of read.table has this:
>>
>>> The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five lines
>>> of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or from the
>>> length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This could conceivably
>>> be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so specify col.names if
>>> necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).
>>
>>> The example is this:
>>
>>> read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
>>>         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))
>>
>>> where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.
>>
>>> This explains why the sixth line wraps.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a mile
>> in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part of R
>> seems totally stupid to me.
>>
>> I'm going to have to mull this over some more.
>>
>> -- Mike
>>

> Yes, please do. I'm not a programmer, and often get things wrong, but I
> trust you'll help rein me in if I get off on a tangent.
>
> It would be good if this limitation in ob-R were eliminated.  The way I
> see it, ob-R is designed to handle a subset of the expected input.  It
> coerces a variable into a tsv table, then reads it into R, expecting all
> cells are filled.  At the same time, other babel modules are free to
> export structures (in the Pascal's triangle example, a list of lists)
> that orgtbl-to-tsv interprets as a table with empty cells.  It would be
> nice if ob-R could be made to read all the tables that orgtbl-to-tsv is
> able to create.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Here is about as far as I can go with this.  It appears to work for
tables with or without column heads.  The 6 is still hard-coded.  I
can't find a way to determine the number of columns in VALUE, but assume
there is one.  If the number of columns in VALUE were to replace the
hard-coded 6, this might work.

        (format "%s <- read.table(\"%s\", header=%s, row.names=%s, sep=\"\\t\", as.is=TRUE, fill=TRUE%s)"
                name (org-babel-process-file-name transition-file 'noquote)
		(if (or (eq (nth 1 value) 'hline) colnames-p) "TRUE" "FALSE")
		(if rownames-p "1" "NULL")
		(if (eq (nth 1 value) 'hline) "" ", col.names = paste(\"V\", seq_len(6), sep = \"\")")))

All the best,
Tom
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-25 23:52               ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
> .
> .
> .
>> The documentation of read.table has this:
>
>> The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five lines
>> of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or from the
>> length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This could conceivably
>> be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so specify col.names if
>> necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).
>
>> The example is this:
>
>> read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
>>         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))
>
>> where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.
>
>> This explains why the sixth line wraps.
> .
> .
> .
>
> Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a mile
> in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part of R
> seems totally stupid to me.
>
> I'm going to have to mull this over some more.
>
> -- Mike

Aloha Mike,

Eric Schulte has pushed up some patches designed to make R source block
variables accept irregular data.  So, with pascals-triangle(8), for
instance, one gets a potentially useful dataframe in R:

#+NAME: sanity-check
#+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
#+BEGIN_SRC R
sc_input
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: sanity-check
| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 |   5 | 1   | nil | nil | nil |
| 1 |   6 |  15 |  20 |  15 | 6   | 1   | nil | nil |
| 1 |   7 |  21 |  35 |  35 | 21  | 7   | 1   | nil |
| 1 |   8 |  28 |  56 |  70 | 56  | 28  | 8   | 1   |

Could you pull the development version of Org mode and see if this
solves your problem?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-26  2:06                 ` Michael Hannon
From: Michael Hannon @ 2012-04-26  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:

>Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>> The documentation of read.table has this:
>>
>>> The number of data columns is determined by looking at the first five
>>> lines
>>> of input (or the whole file if it has less than five lines), or from the
>>> length of col.names if it is specified and is longer. This could
>>> conceivably
>>> be wrong if fill or blank.lines.skip are true, so specify col.names if
>>> necessary (as in the ‘Examples’).
>>
>>> The example is this:
>>
>>> read.csv(tf, fill = TRUE, header = FALSE,
>>>         col.names = paste("V", seq_len(ncol), sep = ""))
>>
>>> where read.csv is a synonym of read.table with preset arguments.
>>
>>> This explains why the sixth line wraps.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>
>> Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a
>> mile
>> in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part
>> of R
>> seems totally stupid to me.
>>
>> I'm going to have to mull this over some more.
>>
>> -- Mike
>>

>Aloha Mike,
>
>Eric Schulte has pushed up some patches designed to make R source block
>variables accept irregular data.  So, with pascals-triangle(8), for
>instance, one gets a potentially useful dataframe in R:
>
>#+NAME: sanity-check
>#+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
>#+BEGIN_SRC R
>sc_input
>#+END_SRC
>
>#+RESULTS: sanity-check
>| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 |   5 | 1   | nil | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   6 |  15 |  20 |  15 | 6   | 1   | nil | nil |
>| 1 |   7 |  21 |  35 |  35 | 21  | 7   | 1   | nil |
>| 1 |   8 |  28 |  56 |  70 | 56  | 28  | 8   | 1   |
>
>Could you pull the development version of Org mode and see if this
>solves your problem?

Well, NOW you've done it!  Just when I thought I could beg off on this talk,
it all seems to be working ;-)  Thanks, Tom and Eric.

I've appended a sample output, just FYI.  I also tried it for n=7 and got the
correct results.  Magic!

As an aside, the rows of the Pascal Triangle should sum to 2^n, which they do
in my test cases.  I haven't yet implemented Eric's (much sexier)
"sum(sub-diagonal-elements) == Fibonacci nos." test, but I'll look into it.

Thanks again,

-- Mike

Org-mode version 7.8.09 (release_7.8.09-390-gfb7ebd @
/usr/local/emacs.d/org-mode/org-devel/org-mode/lisp/org-install.el)

-----

#+PROPERTY: session *R*
* verify PT

#+name: pascals_triangle
#+begin_src python :var n=5 :exports none :results value
def pascals_triangle(n):
    if n == 0:
        return [[1]]
    prev_triangle = pascals_triangle(n-1)
    prev_row = prev_triangle[n-1]
    this_row = map(sum, zip([0] + prev_row, prev_row + [0]))
    return prev_triangle + [this_row]

pascals_triangle(n)
#+end_src

#+RESULTS: pascals_triangle
| 1 |   |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 1 |    |    |   |   |
| 1 | 2 |  1 |    |   |   |
| 1 | 3 |  3 |  1 |   |   |
| 1 | 4 |  6 |  4 | 1 |   |
| 1 | 5 | 10 | 10 | 5 | 1 |

#+NAME: sanity-check(sc_input=pascals_triangle)
#+BEGIN_SRC R :fill yes :results output

  pt <- sc_input
  pt[is.na(pt)] <- 0
  rowSums(pt)

#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS: sanity-check
: [1]  1  2  4  8 16 32

* Re: Babel: communicating irregular data to R source-code block
@ 2012-04-26  6:34                   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-04-26  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Hannon; +Cc: Org-Mode List, Eric Schulte

Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:

> On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>
>>Michael Hannon <jm_hannon@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> On Monday, April 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Thomas S. Dye wrote:
>>> .
>>> .
>>> .

>>> .
>>> .
>>> .
>>>
>>> Thanks, Tom.  I had just run across this myself. I guess I need to walk a
>>> mile
>>> in somebody's moccasins before complaining, but this behavior on the part
>>> of R
>>> seems totally stupid to me.
>>>
>>> I'm going to have to mull this over some more.
>>>
>>> -- Mike
>>>

>>Aloha Mike,
>>
>>Eric Schulte has pushed up some patches designed to make R source block
>>variables accept irregular data.  So, with pascals-triangle(8), for
>>instance, one gets a potentially useful dataframe in R:
>>
>>#+NAME: sanity-check
>>#+HEADER: :var sc_input=pascals-triangle
>>#+BEGIN_SRC R
>>sc_input
>>#+END_SRC
>>
>>#+RESULTS: sanity-check
>>| 1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   2 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   3 |   3 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   4 |   6 |   4 |   1 | nil | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   5 |  10 |  10 |   5 | 1   | nil | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   6 |  15 |  20 |  15 | 6   | 1   | nil | nil |
>>| 1 |   7 |  21 |  35 |  35 | 21  | 7   | 1   | nil |
>>| 1 |   8 |  28 |  56 |  70 | 56  | 28  | 8   | 1   |
>>
>>Could you pull the development version of Org mode and see if this
>>solves your problem?
>
> Well, NOW you've done it!  Just when I thought I could beg off on this talk,
> it all seems to be working ;-)  Thanks, Tom and Eric.
>
> I've appended a sample output, just FYI.  I also tried it for n=7 and got the
> correct results.  Magic!
>
> As an aside, the rows of the Pascal Triangle should sum to 2^n, which they do
> in my test cases.  I haven't yet implemented Eric's (much sexier)
> "sum(sub-diagonal-elements) == Fibonacci nos." test, but I'll look into it.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -- Mike

Good news.  Please consider sharing your seminar talk on Worg, if you
think it might be appropriate.

All the best,
Tom

--