* function / way to get a global link to a file
@ 2012-04-13 18:44 Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
From: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa @ 2012-04-13 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hi list,

Within my personal productivity system that I've implemented using org, I
used a main heading like this:

* tags :one:two:three:...

I use this in order to match a reference org file to other data that I
have throughout my system, and it works great when I want to find all
related information with a specific tag from the CLI by using ack or grep.
This helps keeping things more organic, in the sense that I don't have to
think too much when capturing reference data (it can be a headline
somewhere, or just a new org file in /refernece, important thing is that it
has the proper semantics - i.e tags), but at the same time with enough
structure to be useful. I could probably use another notation, but that's
the one I chose first, and all my reference files have it.

A problem I'm having however is that everytime I go to such org files and
try to get a link to this file using C l, it creates a link to * tags. I
then have to hit enter so that it brakes and creates a blank line in the
top.

Is there  a way to always force copying a link *to the file*, instead of
org trying to create a link to an item inside the file?

Thanks,

- Marcelo.

* Re: function / way to get a global link to a file
@ 2012-04-13 19:04 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-13 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa; +Cc: Org Mode

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Within my personal productivity system that I've implemented using org, I used a main heading like this:
>
> * tags :one:two:three:...
>
> I use this in order to match a reference org file to other data that I have throughout my system, and it works great when I want to find all related information with a specific tag from the CLI by using ack or grep. This helps keeping things more organic, in the sense that I
> don't have to think too much when capturing reference data (it can be a headline somewhere, or just a new org file in /refernece, important thing is that it has the proper semantics - i.e tags), but at the same time with enough structure to be useful. I could probably use
> another notation, but that's the one I chose first, and all my reference files have it.
>
> A problem I'm having however is that everytime I go to such org files and try to get a link to this file using C l, it creates a link to * tags. I then have to hit enter so that it brakes and creates a blank line in the top.
>
> Is there  a way to always force copying a link *to the file*, instead of org trying to create a link to an item inside the file?

There is also a more permanent solution:

,----
| org-context-in-file-links is a variable defined in `org.el'.
| Its value is t
|
| Documentation:
| Non-nil means file links from `org-store-link' contain context.
| A search string will be added to the file name with :: as separator and
| used to find the context when the link is activated by the command
| `org-open-at-point'.  When this option is t, the entire active region
| will be placed in the search string of the file link.  If set to a
| positive integer, only the first n lines of context will be stored.
|
| Using a prefix arg to the command C-c l (`org-store-link')
| negates this setting for the duration of the command.
|
| You can customize this variable.

`----

Nick

* Re: function / way to get a global link to a file
@ 2012-04-13 19:08   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-04-13 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo de Moraes Serpa, Org Mode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <celoserpa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Within my personal productivity system that I've implemented using org, I used a main heading like this:
> >
> > * tags :one:two:three:...
> >
> > I use this in order to match a reference org file to other data that I have throughout my system, and it works great when I want to find all related information with a specific tag from the CLI by using ack or grep. This helps keeping things more organic, in the sense that I
> > don't have to think too much when capturing reference data (it can be a headline somewhere, or just a new org file in /refernece, important thing is that it has the proper semantics - i.e tags), but at the same time with enough structure to be useful. I could probably use
> > another notation, but that's the one I chose first, and all my reference files have it.
> >
> > A problem I'm having however is that everytime I go to such org files and try to get a link to this file using C l, it creates a link to * tags. I then have to hit enter so that it brakes and creates a blank line in the top.
> >
> > Is there  a way to always force copying a link *to the file*, instead of org trying to create a link to an item inside the file?
> >

> There is also a more permanent solution:

... that is, in addition to the C-u C-c l method that I sent to Marcelo without copying the list.
Apologies.

Nick