From: lecodesportif@eml.cc
Cc: Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Using properties for diary-anniversaries
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:17:19 -0800	[thread overview]

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:36 -0500, "Nick Dokos" <nicholas.dokos@hp.com>
wrote:
> Yes, sorry: I figured that I had answered the wrong question after I
> sent it, but I was too tired to fix my mistake at that time. However, I
> could not make your formulation work for me at all. I still don't
> understand how it could possibly work: afaict, org-entry-get returns the
> birthday as a string, "5 4 1900", the read returns the month as a
> number, 5, and diary-anniversary should blow up because it needs at least
> two
> arguments (a month and a day) - and it does in my case.

You're probably right, there was a typo in my example. The below text is
corrected, I had forgotten the parantheses for the date!

* John
  :PROPERTIES:
  :Name: John
  :Birthday: (5 4 1900)
  :END:
  %%(apply 'diary-anniversary (read (org-entry-get nil "Birthday")))
  John

Does this work for you?

> Be that as it may, re. filling in the name, I don't know how to do it
> and I'm not sure that it can be done: the string after the function call
> is scanned for %d but no other evaluation is done. org just passes the
> string along and all of that work is done in diary-anniversary whose
> doc string says:
>
> ,----
> | The diary entry can contain `%d' or `%d%s'; the %d will be replaced
> | by the number of years since the MONTH, DAY, YEAR, and the %s will
> | be replaced by the ordinal ending of that number (that is, `st',
> | `nd', `rd' or `th', as appropriate).  The anniversary of February 29
> | is considered to be March 1 in non-leap years.
> `----

Yes, it may require hacking diary-anniversary.