* Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-28 17:44 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everyone

Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
meet-up there.

- [ ] I would come and listen
- [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom

[1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
[2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-28 18:15 ` Richard Moreland
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would come to listen, and if anyone was interested I could briefly
talk about MobileOrg.

-Richard

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
> meet-up there.
>

> - [ ] I would come and listen
> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>

> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-28 18:56 ` Stefan Vollmar
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Vollmar @ 2010-09-28 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would be very interested and could give a brief presentation of what we do with Org-mode at our institute.

Warm regards,
 Stefan

On 28.09.2010, at 19:44, Carsten Dominik wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
> meet-up there.
>

> - [ ] I would come and listen
> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>

> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.
Head of IT group
Max-Planck-Institut für neurologische Forschung
Gleuelerstr. 50, 50931 Köln, Germany
Tel.: +49-221-4726-213  FAX +49-221-4726-298
Tel.: +49-221-478-5713  Mobile: 0160-93874279
Email: vollmar@nf.mpg.de   http://www.nf.mpg.de

[-- Attachment #1.2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-28 19:26 ` Matthew Jones
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Jones @ 2010-09-28 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would also be interested in attending to listen, or contribute anything
related to MobileOrg.

73,
Matthew W. Jones (KI4ZIB)
http://matburt.net

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 1:44 PM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
> meet-up there.
>

> - [ ] I would come and listen
> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>

> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-28 22:58 ` Ivan Vilata i Balaguer
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ivan Vilata i Balaguer @ 2010-09-28 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Having an Org meet-up would be one more great reason to attend FOSDEM
this year! :)

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer -- http://ivan.lovesgazpacho.net/

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-29  7:15   ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-09-29  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <ivan@selidor.net> writes:

> Having an Org meet-up would be one more great reason to attend FOSDEM
> this year! :)
>
> Carsten Dominik (2010-09-28 19:44:30 +0200) wrote:
>
>> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
>> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
>> meet-up there.
>>
>> - [ ] I would come and listen
>> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>>
>> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
>> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-29  7:24 ` Christian Egli
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-09-29  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
> meet-up there.

Thanks for getting this started.

> - [X] I would come and listen

I always like to go to FOSDEM and eat some Belgian waffles :-)

> - [X] I would come and give a talk in the devroom

Sure, I could talk about taskjuggler integration.

--
Christian Egli

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-29  9:45 ` Rainer Stengele
From: Rainer Stengele @ 2010-09-29  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.09.2010 19:44, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
> Hi everyone
>
> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
> meet-up there.
>

> - [ ] I would come and listen
> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>

> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

Hi all,

I will not be able to participate.
Will there be videos?

Personally I would be more interested to watch a session where a "power org user" shows how he uses org daily instead of another introduction to the basics.
Maybe others too would simply like to share the ideas that have grown over time by expert org users.

This could also become an emacs advertisement video ...

Best,
Rainer

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-29 10:52     ` Ian Barton
From: Ian Barton @ 2010-09-29 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 29/09/10 08:15, Ian Barton wrote:
> Ivan Vilata i Balaguer <ivan@selidor.net> writes:
>
>> Having an Org meet-up would be one more great reason to attend FOSDEM
>> this year! :)
>>
>> Carsten Dominik (2010-09-28 19:44:30 +0200) wrote:
>>
>>> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
>>> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
>>> meet-up there.
>>>
>>> - [ ] I would come and listen
>>> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>>>
>>> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
>>> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

Second attempt to reply! I would like to attend and possibly talk about
using org with jekyll if anyone thinks it might be interesting.

Ian.

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-29 11:06 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-29 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Carsten,

Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM, February 5
> and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode meet-up there.
>
> - [X] I would come and listen

For sure, I would definitely like to be there.

> - [?] I would come and give a talk in the devroom

I'm (currently -- let's hope it will change) only a user of Org. I could
accept giving a talk if I have something _really_ interesting (for the others)
to tell or show.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-09-29 11:32 ` Marcel van der Boom
From: Marcel van der Boom @ 2010-09-29 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On di 28-sep-2010 19:44
Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

>Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
>February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
>meet-up there.

[X] I would come and listen
[ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom

marcel

--
Marcel van der Boom  -- http://hsdev.com/mvdb.vcf
HS-Development BV    -- http://www.hsdev.com

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-29 16:10   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-29 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do find the number of people indicating an interest to come
encouraging.

Is there anyone stepping forward to take charge of getting more
information
about possible costs etc?  More importantly: who will write the
proposal, or
at least make a start?

- Carsten

@ 2010-09-29 16:58     ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-09-29 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Based off of [1], we need the following: devroom name, description,
and related URLs.  For description, they suggest including the room's
topic, goals and target projects.  Something like:

Org-mode is a [some marketing words..].

The Org-mode devroom will include a collection of talks from its
author as well as speakers representing various other components of
Org-mode.  In addition, the group will discuss the direction of
Org-mode, identify additional tools that would be useful to surround
Org-mode, as well as make a plan for widening its audience and making
it more accessible to new users.

Some of our proposed talks include:
- Org-babel
- GTD with Org-mode
- Sceintific applications
- Sharing Org-mode data with other applications (TaskJuggler, ..?)
- Org-mode on the iPhone, Android and Nokia devices
- Managing websites with Org-mode (jekyll integration, built-in publishing, etc)
- Power user demonstrations/tip sharing
- The future of Org-mode

Goals:
- Expose new and existing Org-mode users to demonstrations/application
of features they might not have otherwise discovered
- Identify new applications of Org-mode, help users get started
using/customizing Org-mode for their domain
- Collect members from the Org-mode mailing list in a single place for
the first time
- Share and refine the direction of Org-mode
- Identify how contributors can help with Org-mode
development/documentation/etc.
- Plan for making Org-mode easier to get started with

Related URLs:
- http://orgmode.org
- http://orgmode.org/worg/
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-screencasts/index.php
- http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/
- etc.

I'm not sure what 'target projects' could mean in their suggestion for
the description.  Any ideas?

Hope this helps as a start, feel free to scrap it and start over if
someone else has a better vision.

[1] http://fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms

-Richard

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Carsten Dominik

@ 2010-09-29 17:35       ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-09-29 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Hi,

Should we put this on Worg and let people edit it?

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:28 PM, Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> wrote:
[..]
> I'm not sure what 'target projects' could mean in their suggestion for
> the description.  Any ideas?

I found this link [1] to a proposal of the GNUstep project. It gives
an idea of what is meant by 'target projects'. Essentially, it's a
list of projects that would participate in the devroom.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/discuss-gnustep@gnu.org/msg11361.html

> Hope this helps as a start, feel free to scrap it and start over if
> someone else has a better vision.

I'd been half way through writing one, when I saw this. Seems good! :)

-- Puneeth

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-09-29 19:03   ` Jeff Horn
From: Jeff Horn @ 2010-09-29 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer Stengele; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

+1 to power user talks and +1 to videos.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Rainer Stengele
<rainer.stengele@diplan.de> wrote:
> Am 28.09.2010 19:44, schrieb Carsten Dominik:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> Please reply to this email if you'd consider to come to FOSDEM[1,2],
>> February 5 and 6 next year in Brussels, in order to join an Org-mode
>> meet-up there.
>>

>> - [ ] I would come and listen
>> - [ ] I would come and give a talk in the devroom
>>

>> [1]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/
>> [2]  http://www.fosdem.org/2011/call_for_devrooms
>>
> Hi all,
>
> I will not be able to participate.
> Will there be videos?
>
> Personally I would be more interested to watch a session where a "power org user" shows how he uses org daily instead of another introduction to the basics.
> Maybe others too would simply like to share the ideas that have grown over time by expert org users.
>
> This could also become an emacs advertisement video ...
>
> Best,
> Rainer

Jeffrey Horn
Graduate Lecturer and PhD Student in Economics
George Mason University

(704) 271-4797
jhorn@gmu.edu
jrhorn424@gmail.com

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-04  8:38       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-10-04  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

tanks for starting this, it looks pretty good.

Still we need someone who says "I will organize this".
Who will do that?

Most importantly, we need to know if any money is
involved, including registration fees.

- Carsten

@ 2010-10-04 11:46         ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-10-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Carsten Dominik
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> tanks for starting this, it looks pretty good.

I also think we should add a section in the 'Comments' field of the
form that says why we think Org-mode should get a devroom (or at least
a portion of one).  It may be helpful to identify approximately how
many users are on the mailing list, downloads/month, as well as note
that it is included in Emacs so there may be many more.  Whoever fills
out the form on the website should probably get this information from
Carsten before submitting.

> Still we need someone who says "I will organize this".
> Who will do that?

If no one else volunteers, I will.

> Most importantly, we need to know if any money is
> involved, including registration fees.

I've looked through the website quite a bit, and it is free for all
participants.  The only additional costs will be hotel accommodations,
food, and possibly parking/transportation to get there.  It sounds
like breakfast and lunch can be purchased on-site, but dinner would be
on your own.

Perhaps the organizer could find a good place meet for dinner for
those who don't have other plans.

We need to have the entry form submitted prior to October 16, but the
earlier the better is my opinion.  On October 23 they announce who was
accepted, at which point we should begin formalizing plans for talks,
participants, etc.

-Richard

@ 2010-10-04 19:13           ` Rémi Letot
From: Rémi Letot @ 2010-10-04 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

>> Most importantly, we need to know if any money is
>> involved, including registration fees.
>
> I've looked through the website quite a bit, and it is free for all
> participants.  The only additional costs will be hotel accommodations,

I can confirm that FOSDEM is completely free, as in free speach and free
beer. Speaking of which, there is a traditionnal "beer event" on Friday
evening in Brussels which is quite... interresting to attend ;-)

Oh, almost forgot, thanks for Org-mode !
--
Rémi

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-08 12:25           ` Christian Egli
From: Christian Egli @ 2010-10-08 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 4:38 AM, Carsten Dominik
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Still we need someone who says "I will organize this".
>> Who will do that?
>
> If no one else volunteers, I will.

We are getting close to the deadline for the application for a dev room.
I will be on holiday and off-line for a week tomorrow, so I do not have
time to work on this next week. I would love for this to happen, so the
question is if I have to do this tonight (when the kids are in bed and I
should do the packing, my wife is going to love this :-)), next Saturday
or if I can rely on you to do this application.

Also when doing the application I would open up the dev room to Emacs
hackers in general, i.e. when mentioning the participating projects
simply add Gnu Emacs. I'm sure if we offer a venue there are some Emacs
hackers that are willing to come and participate. This will hopefully
increase our chances of getting a room.

So in essence I would change the application as follows:

* Devroom name

Org-mode and Emacs hackers

* Devroom description

** Topics

Org-mode is for keeping notes, maintaining ToDo lists, doing project
planning, and authoring with a fast and effective plain-text system.
Org-mode is based on GNU Emacs, an extensible, customizable text editor.

*** Org-mode

The Org-mode devroom will include a collection of talks from its author
as well as speakers representing various other components of Org-mode.
Developers will discuss the direction of Org-mode, identify additional
tools that would be useful to surround Org-mode, as well as make a plan
for widening its audience and making it more accessible to new users.

*** Emacs development

Emacs development has seen a renewed interest in the last years. There
is a lot of activity in the developer community. Therefore this devroom
will not only host many fine Org-mode Emacs Lisp hackers but is also
open for other Emacs Lisp related subjects around developing with or for
Emacs.

*** Proposed Talks

Some of our proposed talks include:
- Org-babel a system for Literate Programming
- GTD with Org-mode
- Scientific applications
- Sharing Org-mode data with other applications (TaskJuggler, ..?)
- Org-mode on the iPhone, Android and Nokia devices
- Managing websites with Org-mode (jekyll integration, built-in publishing, etc)
- Power user demonstrations/tip sharing
- The future of Org-mode

** Goals
- Expose new and existing Org-mode users to demonstrations/application
  of features they might not have otherwise discovered
- Identify new applications of Org-mode, help users get started
  using/customizing Org-mode for their domain
- Collect members from the Org-mode mailing list in a single place for
  the first time
- Share and refine the direction of Org-mode
- Identify how contributors can help with Org-mode development/documentation/etc.
- Plan for making Org-mode easier to get started with

** Target Projects
- Org-mode
- Emacs development

* Devroom related URLs
- http://orgmode.org
- http://orgmode.org/worg/
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php
- http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-screencasts/index.php
- http://mobileorg.ncogni.to/
- http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
- http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel

* Name of the responsible

- Richard Moreland
- Christian Egli

* Email

- rlm@ncogni.to
- christian.egli@sbs.ch

* Relation to the topic

What ever you fancy, e.g

- community manager
- developer

* Remarks

Org-mode is a good match for FOSDEM since it brings together a diverse
community across many platforms (Unix, Windows, Mac, Mobile) and fosters
a renaissance of text-only power tools.

Thanks
Christian

--
Christian Egli

* Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-08 12:38             ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-10-08 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Egli; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Christian Egli <christian.egli@sbs.ch> wrote:
> Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:
>> If no one else volunteers, I will.
>
> We are getting close to the deadline for the application for a dev room.
> I will be on holiday and off-line for a week tomorrow, so I do not have
> time to work on this next week. I would love for this to happen, so the
> question is if I have to do this tonight (when the kids are in bed and I
> should do the packing, my wife is going to love this :-)), next Saturday
> or if I can rely on you to do this application.

Thanks Christian.  I agree with your changes, and I have no problem
following through with the application submission.

If anyone has changes to make or suggestions for improving upon the
updated proposal, please follow up soon.  I'd like to get it submitted
sooner than later in case there is any type of 'first come first
served' weighting.  If no one objects, I'll submit it on 10/10.

-Richard

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-24  4:53               ` Puneeth
From: Puneeth @ 2010-10-24  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Richard,

The FOSDEM site says,

  2010-10-23: Acceptance notification of devrooms

Wondering if you have any news on this.

Best,
Puneeth

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-24 10:37                 ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-10-24 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Puneeth; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Puneeth,

Nothing yet, unfortunately.  I'll keep the list posted as soon as I hear anything.

-Richard

@ 2010-10-25 11:38                   ` Giovanni Ridolfi
From: Giovanni Ridolfi @ 2010-10-25 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Moreland; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Richard Moreland <rlm@ncogni.to> writes:

Hi,
> On Oct 24, 2010, at 12:53 AM, Puneeth wrote:
>
>> The FOSDEM site says,
>>  2010-10-23: Acceptance notification of devrooms
>>
>> Wondering if you have any news on this.
>
> Nothing yet, unfortunately.  I'll keep the list posted as soon as I hear anything.
From fosdem's website:

On Mon, 10/25/2010 - 00:24

Devroom assignment still in the make

This is just a short notice that we are still working on the devroom
assignment  for FOSDEM 2011.

We received 36 valid proposals, but have only 24 'devroom days' to
distribute over the weekend (not counting the distribution miniconf).

Many proposals are also true collaborative proposals, making the
decision even harder.

Please bare with us for one or two more days, while we finalize the
devroom allocation.

so let's wait utill wednesday 27 ;-)

Giovanni

* Re: Re: Orgmode meetup at FOSDEM, February 2011. Who would come?
@ 2010-10-27 11:42                     ` Richard Moreland
From: Richard Moreland @ 2010-10-27 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Ridolfi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The FOSDEM site was recently updated to show the list of accepted
devrooms, and unfortunately we didn't make the final list of 24.  Thanks
to all who contributed ideas or suggestions to our proposal.

That being said, I'd still like to suggest a meetup at some point.  I
think we have some good momentum in that direction, there are just more
variables to manage without FOSDEM providing the date, location and
infrastructure.

Perhaps someone on the list can suggest a meeting place that would make
sense for our group?

Thanks,
Richard