* interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-02 18:34 Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-02-02 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I;m getting more and more used to using org for my own writing purposes,
and love it.  But I still find it pretty difficult to work with
word-processor users whoexpect to get a doument in .doc or .odt formats.
I've just found odt2org (http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org) which
looks great for importing odt files into org; but my main concern right
now is getting things from org-mode out into odt or doc.  May i ask what
other people tend to do in this situation?  I I guess I could export to
html, then import in Openoffice, then edit & save as odf, but this seems
a little cumbersome.  If someone has a better solution I'd love to hear
it.

Thanks much,

Matt

--
Matt Price
matt.price@utoronto.ca

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-02 18:44 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-02-02 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Matt

try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it to
rtf.
I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf for
exactly the same purpose.

Cheers,

Rainer

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I;m getting more and more used to using org for my own writing purposes,
> and love it.  But I still find it pretty difficult to work with
> word-processor users whoexpect to get a doument in .doc or .odt formats.
> I've just found odt2org (http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org) which
> looks great for importing odt files into org; but my main concern right
> now is getting things from org-mode out into odt or doc.  May i ask what
> other people tend to do in this situation?  I I guess I could export to
> html, then import in Openoffice, then edit & save as odf, but this seems
> a little cumbersome.  If someone has a better solution I'd love to hear
> it.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Matt
>
> --
> Matt Price
> matt.price@utoronto.ca

NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Natural Sciences Building
Office Suite 2039
Stellenbosch University
Main Campus, Merriman Avenue
Stellenbosch
South Africa

Cell:           +27 - (0)83 9479 042
Fax:            +27 - (0)86 516 2782
Fax:            +49 - (0)321 2125 2244
email:          Rainer@krugs.de

Skype:          RMkrug
Google:         R.M.Krug@gmail.com

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-02 18:55   ` Russell Adams
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Russell Adams @ 2010-02-02 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:44:54PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> Hi Matt
>
> try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it to
> rtf.
> I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf for
> exactly the same purpose.

That's a great idea!

Currently I export to HTML and then let Word users import that. It
preserves most of the formatting that is important to me, though
external files have to be manually inserted in Word.

Does RTF help with external references? (ie: embedded images?)

Thanks.

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-02 19:28     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-02-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:55:42 -0600,
Russell Adams wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:44:54PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Hi Matt
> >
> > try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it to
> > rtf.
> > I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf for
> > exactly the same purpose.
>
> That's a great idea!
>
> Currently I export to HTML and then let Word users import that. It
> preserves most of the formatting that is important to me, though
> external files have to be manually inserted in Word.
>
> Does RTF help with external references? (ie: embedded images?)

You may also give tex4ht[1] a shot. I don't use it that often but my
impression is that it gives better results than latex2rtf

HTH
 -- David

[1] http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-02 19:39     ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-02-02 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Russell Adams <RLAdams@adamsinfoserv.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:44:54PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Hi Matt
> >
> > try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it
> > rtf.
> > I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf
> for
> > exactly the same purpose.
>
> That's a great idea!
>
> Currently I export to HTML and then let Word users import that. It
> preserves most of the formatting that is important to me, though
> external files have to be manually inserted in Word.
>
> Does RTF help with external references? (ie: embedded images?)

I think it embeds the picture and does not preserve the link.

But the might be a way of keeping the links.

Rainer

@ 2010-02-02 19:40 ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2010-02-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I;m getting more and more used to using org for my own writing purposes,
> and love it.  But I still find it pretty difficult to work with
> word-processor users whoexpect to get a doument in .doc or .odt formats.
> I've just found odt2org (http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org) which
> looks great for importing odt files into org; but my main concern right
> now is getting things from org-mode out into odt or doc.  May i ask what
> other people tend to do in this situation?  I I guess I could export to
> html, then import in Openoffice, then edit & save as odf, but this seems
> a little cumbersome.  If someone has a better solution I'd love to hear
> it.

Oh - and ther is also:

mk4ht oolatex

which converts LaTeX to odt.

Cheers,

Rainer

@ 2010-02-02 22:00   ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-02-02 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:40:49 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I;m getting more and more used to using org for my own writing
>> purposes, and love it.  But I still find it pretty difficult to work
>> with word-processor users whoexpect to get a doument in .doc or .odt
>> formats. I've just found odt2org
>> (http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org) which looks great for importing
>> odt files into org; but my main concern right now is getting things
>> from org-mode out into odt or doc.  May i ask what other people tend to
>> do in this situation?  I I guess I could export to html, then import in
>> Openoffice, then edit & save as odf, but this seems a little
>> cumbersome.  If someone has a better solution I'd love to hear it.
>>

> Oh - and ther is also:
>
> mk4ht oolatex
>
> which converts LaTeX to odt.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rainer

Wouldn't the org-docbook package be suitable as there are docbook to odt
transformers (which makes sense as odt is a type of xml like docbook)

http://open.comsultia.com/docbook2odf/ might be helpful.

Shelagh

@ 2010-02-03  1:00       ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-03  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Russell Adams, emacs-orgmode

David Maus <maus.david@gmail.com> writes:

> At Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:55:42 -0600,
> Russell Adams wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:44:54PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>> > Hi Matt
>> >
>> > try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it to
>> > rtf.
>> > I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf for
>> > exactly the same purpose.
>>
>> That's a great idea!
>>
>> Currently I export to HTML and then let Word users import that. It
>> preserves most of the formatting that is important to me, though
>> external files have to be manually inserted in Word.
>>
>> Does RTF help with external references? (ie: embedded images?)
>
> You may also give tex4ht[1] a shot. I don't use it that often but my
> impression is that it gives better results than latex2rtf

I recommend both latex2rt and tex4ht (i.e., mk4ht oolatex). I use the
former for simple documents (i.e., articles without bibtex references
or special LaTeX packages) and the former for anything more complicated.

Best,
Matt

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-03  7:13     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-02-03  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Tue, 2 Feb 2010 12:55:42 -0600,
Russell Adams wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:44:54PM +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > Hi Matt
> >
> > try latex2rtf: export org-mode to LaTeX and use latex2rtf to convert it to
> > rtf.
> > I am using latex2rtf to convert LaTeX code (generated by LyX) into rtf for
> > exactly the same purpose.
>
> That's a great idea!
>
> Currently I export to HTML and then let Word users import that. It
> preserves most of the formatting that is important to me, though
> external files have to be manually inserted in Word.

I export to HTML and then use OpenOffice.org to create a Word
compatible version from it.  There's an extension for OOo available
which will convert all links to embedded versions if you want embedded
images (most likely, especially with latex fragments!).

* Re: Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-04 14:43     ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-02-04 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 22:00 +0000, Shelagh Manton wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:40:49 +0200, Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:34 PM, Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I;m getting more and more used to using org for my own writing
> >> purposes, and love it.  But I still find it pretty difficult to work
> >> with word-processor users whoexpect to get a doument in .doc or .odt
> >> formats. I've just found odt2org
> >> (http://mantiel.wikidot.com/os:odt2org) which looks great for importing
> >> odt files into org; but my main concern right now is getting things
> >> from org-mode out into odt or doc.  May i ask what other people tend to
> >> do in this situation?  I I guess I could export to html, then import in
> >> Openoffice, then edit & save as odf, but this seems a little
> >> cumbersome.  If someone has a better solution I'd love to hear it.
> >>

> > Oh - and ther is also:
> >
> > mk4ht oolatex
> >
> > which converts LaTeX to odt.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Rainer
> >
> Wouldn't the org-docbook package be suitable as there are docbook to odt
> transformers (which makes sense as odt is a type of xml like docbook)
>
> http://open.comsultia.com/docbook2odf/ might be helpful.
>
> Shelagh

thanks to everyone for their advice -- I'm going to try these all out &
if I have any constructive commetns I'll report them back.  It's a
little duanting for me, as a non-latex user, to try to figure out how to
get documentsl ooking about how I want them to -- the default output of
the latex export has way too much whitespace for my tastes -- but I
guess I hsould be able to figure those issues out somehow.  thanks
again!
matt

* Re: Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-04 15:10       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2010-02-04 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Price; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

At Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:43:31 -0500,
Matt Price wrote:

[...]

> get documentsl ooking about how I want them to -- the default output of
> the latex export has way too much whitespace for my tastes -- but I
> guess I hsould be able to figure those issues out somehow.  thanks
> again!
> matt

If it's the margins giving you too much white space (a common
complaint from people moving to latex from other types of word or
document procssors), you could try something along these lines:

#+latex_header: \usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}
#+latex-header: \geometry{verbose,tmargin=3cm,bmargin=3cm,lmargin=3cm,rmargin=3cm}

untested.  change "letterpaper" to your actual paper size, of course.

HTH,
eric

* Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-05  1:44         ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2010-02-05  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 15:10:51 +0000, Eric S Fraga wrote:

> At Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:43:31 -0500,
> Matt Price wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> get documentsl ooking about how I want them to -- the default output of
>> the latex export has way too much whitespace for my tastes -- but I
>> guess I hsould be able to figure those issues out somehow.  thanks
>> again!
>> matt
>>

> If it's the margins giving you too much white space (a common complaint
> from people moving to latex from other types of word or document
> procssors), you could try something along these lines:

> #+latex_header: \usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry} #+latex-header:
> \geometry{verbose,tmargin=3cm,bmargin=3cm,lmargin=3cm,rmargin=3cm}
>
> untested.  change "letterpaper" to your actual paper size, of course.
>
> HTH,
> eric

Also the fullpage.sty package will do this for you too. Of course you
need to name the size of your paper in the documentclass.

\usepackage[options](fullpage)

Shelagh

* Re: Re: interacting with word processors (opeonffice, word)
@ 2010-02-05 21:25           ` Matt Price
From: Matt Price @ 2010-02-05 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode