* Prefixing a function call with C-digit
@ 2009-09-08 18:14 Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2009-09-08 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear org users,

I'd like to write some advice or a wrapper function for org-export
such that it defaults to a heading level of 0.

In org-mode normally, I can get this behaviour by pressing C-0 C-x
C-e.  Looking at org.el suggested that I should be able to simply
provide the 0 as an argument, i.e. using (org-export 0). However,
org-export seems to ignore that 0.

Thank you very much,
- Raffi.

* Re: Prefixing a function call with C-digit
@ 2009-09-09  0:42 ` Haroldo Stenger
From: Haroldo Stenger @ 2009-09-09  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffi R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Raffi,

Off the top of mi mind, you pass arguments to commands by issueing C-u
<parameter> <command keychord>

best,
haroldo

@ 2009-09-09  0:44   ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2009-09-09  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haroldo Stenger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ordinarily that is the case, but for org-export the convention seems
to be C-digit, which passes the digit as an argument to the next
function called (in this case, org-export).

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Haroldo Stenger<harold.stenger@gmail.com> wrote:
> Raffi,
>
> Off the top of mi mind, you pass arguments to commands by issueing C-u
> <parameter> <command keychord>
>
> best,
> haroldo
>
> 2009/9/8 Raffi R <raffir@gmail.com>
>>
>> Dear org users,
>>
>> I'd like to write some advice or a wrapper function for org-export
>> such that it defaults to a heading level of 0.
>>
>> In org-mode normally, I can get this behaviour by pressing C-0 C-x
>> C-e.  Looking at org.el suggested that I should be able to simply
>> provide the 0 as an argument, i.e. using (org-export 0). However,
>> org-export seems to ignore that 0.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>> - Raffi.

* GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember
@ 2009-09-09 11:59   ` Desmond Rivet
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2009-09-09 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm using org-mode to implement GTD (or, at least, making a valiant
effort :) I'm currently doing the following:

 * projects are TODO items under a "Project" heading with a) a project
   tag and b) a CATEGORY property summarizing the project with a short
   label.

 * "waiting" items are TODO items with a waiting tag under a "Waiting"
   heading.

 * next actions are TODO items without a project or waiting tag.

 * contexts are tags attached to the next action and start with "@"

 * if a next action is under a project heading, then it belongs to that
   project.  I have a special heading called, for lack of a better name,
   "Misc" under which I put all my next actions which are not associated
   with any project.

This all seems to work ok so far, except for one thing: I can't figure
out how to add next actions under a particular project heading using
remember.

The problem is that I have to specify a heading for the template in
org-remember-templates in the .emacs file.  This is okay when I want to
jot down a new project, waiting item or *generic* next action, because
all these items have fixed headings, but I don't know how to make this
work when I don't know the heading ahead of time (remember that next
actions associated with projects live under the project heading).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Desmond Rivet

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

* Re: GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember
@ 2009-09-09 12:25     ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-09-09 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Desmond Rivet <desmond_news@videotron.ca> writes:

> This all seems to work ok so far, except for one thing: I can't figure
> out how to add next actions under a particular project heading using
> remember.
>
> The problem is that I have to specify a heading for the template in
> org-remember-templates in the .emacs file.  This is okay when I want to
> jot down a new project, waiting item or *generic* next action, because
> all these items have fixed headings, but I don't know how to make this
> work when I don't know the heading ahead of time (remember that next
> actions associated with projects live under the project heading).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

I do something similar, but use C-1 C-c C-c which allows you to select
the refile heading. Have you tried that?

Paul

* Re: Prefixing a function call with C-digit
@ 2009-09-09 12:39 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-09 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raffi R; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 8, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Raffi R wrote:

> Dear org users,
>
> I'd like to write some advice or a wrapper function for org-export
> such that it defaults to a heading level of 0.

Why don't you just set the variable org-export-headline-levels ?

> In org-mode normally, I can get this behaviour by pressing C-0 C-x
> C-e.  Looking at org.el suggested that I should be able to simply
> provide the 0 as an argument, i.e. using (org-export 0). However,
> org-export seems to ignore that 0.

(let ((current-prefix-arg 0))
   (call-interactively 'org-export))

HTH

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-09 14:23   ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-09-09 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:39 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Raffi R wrote:
> > In org-mode normally, I can get this behaviour by pressing C-0 C-x
> > C-e.  Looking at org.el suggested that I should be able to simply
> > provide the 0 as an argument, i.e. using (org-export 0). However,
> > org-export seems to ignore that 0.
>
> (let ((current-prefix-arg 0))
>   (call-interactively 'org-export))

This also happens to be the reason a function I was trying to write
didn't work! I would never have worked it out for myself - does
anyone have time to explain why the original form doesn't work?

Here, incidentally, is the function I was writing. It works now!
It is intended to be bound to C-c l in the agenda buffer, and
was written by imitating org-agenda-refile:

(defun org-agenda-store-link (arg)
  "Store a link to the item at point."
  (interactive "P")
  (let* ((marker (or (get-text-property (point) 'org-hd-marker)
                     (org-agenda-error)))
         (buffer (marker-buffer marker))
         (org-link-to-org-use-id t))
    (with-current-buffer buffer
      (save-excursion
        (save-restriction
          (widen)
          (goto-char marker)
          (let ((current-prefix-arg 0))
            (call-interactively 'org-store-link)))))))

Is this the right way to do it?

Peter.

* Re: Prefixing a function call with C-digit
@ 2009-09-09 14:33     ` Raffi R
From: Raffi R @ 2009-09-09 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you very much!

@ 2009-09-09 15:30     ` Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs
From: Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs @ 2009-09-09 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Desmond Rivet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

Let me give a bit of feedback on the aspect of "I'm implementing GTD".

I do it a bit differently:

 * Projects are trees (or sub-trees) which have a :Project: Tag
 attached to them. They never have a TODO keyword of any kind.

 * Waiting-For items are tracked with a :WAITING: Tag. They never have
 a TODO keyword of any kind.

 * Only next actions get a todo keyword of TODO (or maybe DOING if
 they are work in progress)

 * Every tag is a potential context for me. The nice thing is that org
 let's me combine them, e.g. :Bob:Phone:

 * I use org's priority cookies exclusively as importance, ranging
 from A - C.

That way I can see a list of next actions immediately by typing C-a a
t, ordered by importance. With your system I fail to see how you can
get quick access to your next action list.

I also get a project list by typing C-a a p (tag match, with
tag-inheritance turned off), also ordered by priority.

Even though I keep todos, projects and reference material in one file
together, org-mode allows me to quickly filter by TODO (== Next Action
List) :Project: (== Project List) and any other Tag (== Context).

I also use active timestamps to designate tickler dates and :SCHEDULE:
and :DEADLINE: cookies for the "hard landscape" of the day.

Desmond Rivet schrieb:
> The problem is that I have to specify a heading for the template in
> org-remember-templates in the .emacs file.  This is okay when I want to
> jot down a new project, waiting item or *generic* next action, because
> all these items have fixed headings, but I don't know how to make this
> work when I don't know the heading ahead of time (remember that next
> actions associated with projects live under the project heading).
---Zitatende---

Sorry for not helping with your particular problem (It looks like you
might want to use C-1 C-c C-c or something like that), but:

It sounds like you're mixing up collecting and processing. You only
need to fill out the full context in the processing phase. At least I
use the remember interface for quickly jotting down a note, then get
back to work. The stuff I "remember" just goes into a Collect.org
file, which I later process as an inbox.

--
        Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
                             TauPan on Ircnet and Freenode ;)

* Re: GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember
@ 2009-09-09 23:20     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2009-09-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Desmond Rivet; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Desmond Rivet <desmond_news@videotron.ca> writes:

> I'm using org-mode to implement GTD (or, at least, making a valiant
> effort :) I'm currently doing the following:
>
>  * projects are TODO items under a "Project" heading with a) a project
>    tag and b) a CATEGORY property summarizing the project with a short
>    label.
>
>  * "waiting" items are TODO items with a waiting tag under a "Waiting"
>    heading.
>
>  * next actions are TODO items without a project or waiting tag.
>
>  * contexts are tags attached to the next action and start with "@"
>
>  * if a next action is under a project heading, then it belongs to that
>    project.  I have a special heading called, for lack of a better name,
>    "Misc" under which I put all my next actions which are not associated
>    with any project.
>
> This all seems to work ok so far, except for one thing: I can't figure
> out how to add next actions under a particular project heading using
> remember.

You can either:

1. Use "C-1 C-c C-c" to file the item interactively.

or

2. Set org-remember-store-without-prompt to nil.

Best,
Matt

* Re: GTD and adding next actions under projects with remember
@ 2009-09-10  0:23       ` Desmond Rivet
From: Desmond Rivet @ 2009-09-10  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org> writes:

> That way I can see a list of next actions immediately by typing C-a a
> t, ordered by importance. With your system I fail to see how you can
> get quick access to your next action list.

I have several custom agenda views defined:

(setq org-agenda-custom-commands
   '(("w" tags-todo "+waiting")
     ("p" "Project View" tags-todo "+project" ((org-agenda-remove-tags t)))
     ("n" tags-todo "-waiting-project")
))

Next actions are defined as those TODO items that don't have a project
or a waiting tag.  In other words, every TODO item that isn't a project
or waiting item is a Next Action.

So, my wait list can be pull up by a C-c a w, my project list can be
pulled up by a C-c a p, and my next action list can be pulled up with a
C-c a n.

I have tag inheritence turned off for the "project" tag:

(setq org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance '("project"))

So that way I don't get a project's next actions when I just want to see
the project list on its own.

I like the idea of using TODO's as project items because that allows be
to track "active" projects - active projects arethose which are in the
TODO state.  For example, I just completed a project called "Maine
vacation".  It's done, and I don't want it to show up in my project list
anymore.  But at the same time, I'd like to keep a record of it.

Same thing with the WAIT items.  TODO means "waiting" and DONE means
"I'm finished waiting".

> Desmond Rivet schrieb:
>> The problem is that I have to specify a heading for the template in
>> org-remember-templates in the .emacs file.  This is okay when I want to
>> jot down a new project, waiting item or *generic* next action, because
>> all these items have fixed headings, but I don't know how to make this
>> work when I don't know the heading ahead of time (remember that next
>> actions associated with projects live under the project heading).
> ---Zitatende---
>
> Sorry for not helping with your particular problem (It looks like you
> might want to use C-1 C-c C-c or something like that), but:
>
> It sounds like you're mixing up collecting and processing. You only
> need to fill out the full context in the processing phase. At least I
> use the remember interface for quickly jotting down a note, then get
> back to work. The stuff I "remember" just goes into a Collect.org
> file, which I later process as an inbox.

That's an interesting idea.  My uderstanding was that my "collection"
basket would be managed outside of org-mode, via physical lists on
notepads.  Processing that list would result in my next actions items.
Using remember to put stuff in a separate digital collection basket
seems like a reasonable idea.

Still, I like the idea of quickly being able to add a Next Action item
to a particular project, via a keystroke or two...

--
Desmond Rivet

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

* Feature request: org-agenda-store-link
@ 2009-09-11 11:41     ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-09-11 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten,

Could I request this as a small feature enhancement, please?
Commands like org-refile have an agenda equivalent so that
the same keys work in the agenda, and it would be very nice
to be able to store a link to an item that way as well.

Regards,

Peter.

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 15:23 +0100, "Peter Westlake"
<peter.westlake@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:39 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
> <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 8, 2009, at 8:14 PM, Raffi R wrote:
> > > In org-mode normally, I can get this behaviour by pressing C-0 C-x
> > > C-e.  Looking at org.el suggested that I should be able to simply
> > > provide the 0 as an argument, i.e. using (org-export 0). However,
> > > org-export seems to ignore that 0.
> >
> > (let ((current-prefix-arg 0))
> >   (call-interactively 'org-export))
>
> This also happens to be the reason a function I was trying to write
> didn't work! I would never have worked it out for myself - does
> anyone have time to explain why the original form doesn't work?
>
> Here, incidentally, is the function I was writing. It works now!
> It is intended to be bound to C-c l in the agenda buffer, and
> was written by imitating org-agenda-refile:
>
> (defun org-agenda-store-link (arg)
>   "Store a link to the item at point."
>   (interactive "P")
>   (let* ((marker (or (get-text-property (point) 'org-hd-marker)
>                      (org-agenda-error)))
>          (buffer (marker-buffer marker))
>          (org-link-to-org-use-id t))
>     (with-current-buffer buffer
>       (save-excursion
>         (save-restriction
>           (widen)
>           (goto-char marker)
>           (let ((current-prefix-arg 0))
>             (call-interactively 'org-store-link)))))))
>
> Is this the right way to do it?
>
> Peter.

* Re: Feature request: org-agenda-store-link
@ 2009-09-12  5:06       ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-09-12  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Westlake; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Peter,

that does make a lot of sense, why did we not think of this earlier?
Works now.

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2009-09-12  9:42         ` Peter Westlake
From: Peter Westlake @ 2009-09-12  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:06 +0200, "Carsten Dominik"
<carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> that does make a lot of sense, why did we not think of this earlier?
> Works now.
>
> Thanks!

Well, thank *you* - I'm quite thrilled to have made a contribution,
however small!

Peter.