* how to escape org markup?
@ 2011-06-16 15:36 Steven Haryanto
From: Steven Haryanto @ 2011-06-16 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I need to insert bits of plain text into a final composite Org document. The
text should be protected from any Org formatting (for example, "* " at the
beginning of a line should not be interpreted as a headline). Is enclosing
it with #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC or #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE/#+END_EXAMPLE the correct
way? I'm thinking yes, but my Emacs still interprets the "* " as headline
though.

--
sh

* Re: how to escape org markup?
@ 2011-06-16 17:10 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Haryanto; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Steven Haryanto <stevenharyanto@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to insert bits of plain text into a final composite Org document. The text should be
> protected from any Org formatting (for example, "* " at the beginning of a line should not be
> interpreted as a headline). Is enclosing it with #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC or #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE/#
> +END_EXAMPLE the correct way? I'm thinking yes, but my Emacs still interprets the "* " as headline
> though.

This seems to work - I can export to html or latex and get the expected result:

* foo
org example

#+begin_example
,* bar
<2011-06-16 Thu>

This is example code.

#+end_example

But I don't know all the rules and moreover I don't know of any place where
they are described. I'll look around and post an update when I find it.
But feel free to beat me to it.

Nick

* Re: how to escape org markup?
@ 2011-06-16 17:35   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-16 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Steven Haryanto, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Steven Haryanto <stevenharyanto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to insert bits of plain text into a final composite Org document. =
> The text should be
> > protected from any Org formatting (for example, "* " at the beginning of =
> a line should not be
> > interpreted as a headline). Is enclosing it with #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC or=
> =C2=A0#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE/#
> > +END_EXAMPLE the correct way? I'm thinking yes, but my Emacs still interp=
> rets the "* " as headline
> > though.
> >=20
>
> This seems to work - I can export to html or latex and get the expected res=
> ult:
>

> * foo
> org example
>
> #+begin_example
> ,* bar
> <2011-06-16 Thu>
>
> This is example code.
>
> #+end_example
>
> But I don't know all the rules and moreover I don't know of any place where
> they are described. I'll look around and post an update when I find it.
> But feel free to beat me to it.

Section 11.3, "Literal Examples", of the Org manual
(info "(org)Literal Examples")

footnote 4.

Nick

* Re: how to escape org markup?
@ 2011-06-17  1:59   ` Steven Haryanto
From: Steven Haryanto @ 2011-06-17  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Steven Haryanto <stevenharyanto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I need to insert bits of plain text into a final composite Org document.
> The text should be
> > protected from any Org formatting (for example, "* " at the beginning of
> a line should not be
> > interpreted as a headline). Is enclosing it with #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC
> or #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE/#
> > +END_EXAMPLE the correct way? I'm thinking yes, but my Emacs still
> interprets the "* " as headline
> > though.
> >

> This seems to work - I can export to html or latex and get the expected
> result:

> * foo
> org example
>
> #+begin_example
> ,* bar
> <2011-06-16 Thu>
>
> This is example code.
>
> #+end_example
>
> But I don't know all the rules and moreover I don't know of any place where
> they are described. I'll look around and post an update when I find it.
> But feel free to beat me to it.
>
> Nick

Btw, I still need to escape "#+END_SRC" if they occur at the start of line
in text, for example by prepending it with a space (akin to prepending a
space to "From " in mbox format).

--
sh

* Re: how to escape org markup?
@ 2011-06-17  2:47     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-06-17  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Haryanto; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Steven Haryanto <stevenharyanto@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:
>
>     Steven Haryanto <stevenharyanto@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > I need to insert bits of plain text into a final composite Org document. The text should be
>     > protected from any Org formatting (for example, "* " at the beginning of a line should not be
>     > interpreted as a headline). Is enclosing it with #+BEGIN_SRC/#+END_SRC or #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE/#
>     > +END_EXAMPLE the correct way? I'm thinking yes, but my Emacs still interprets the "* " as
>     headline
>     > though.
>     >

>     This seems to work - I can export to html or latex and get the expected result:
>
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>
>     * foo
>     org example
>
>     #+begin_example
>     ,* bar
>     <2011-06-16 Thu>
>
>     This is example code.
>
>     #+end_example
>     --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>
>     But I don't know all the rules and moreover I don't know of any place where
>     they are described. I'll look around and post an update when I find it.
>     But feel free to beat me to it.
>
>     Nick
>
> Btw, I still need to escape "#+END_SRC" if they occur at the start of line in text, for example by
> prepending it with a space (akin to prepending a space to "From " in mbox format).

Try the round-trip suggested in sec. 11.3, "Literal examples", of the
manual: C-c ' on the block, then C-c ' to go back.  Here is the example
that I used in a recent bug report[fn:1] after round-tripping it:

* foo

#+begin_example
  ,#+TITLE: foo
  ,* One

  One

  ,* Two

  Euler says:

  ,#+begin_latex
  \[
  \int_0^\infty e^{-x^2} dx = {{\sqrt{\pi}} \over {2}}
  \]
  ,#+end_latex
#+end_example

It indented and added commas in front.[fn:2]

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/42546

[fn:2] Unfortunately, it does not fix things: the bug is still biting
       me.  Actually, it's two bugs: one is a generic one, the other is
       specific to latex export.