* Prompted by "How to export a Timeline?" thread.
@ 2007-09-20 17:09 William Case
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: William Case @ 2007-09-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Orgmode

Hi;

Ten days ago, I sent the following question to the Emacs Users list and
got no response.  Obviously it was the wrong list.  Since the question
concerns integrating orgmode and calendar as a printout, perhaps this
list is more appropriate.

"I think I am about to undertake the biggest emacs task I have tried so
far and would like some pointers about how best to go about it.

"I want to create a print out that reflects a summary of my emacs
Calendar, TODO lists and Address Book.  I still work with a folded piece
of paper in my hip or shirt pocket.  I find electronic PIMs get in the
way of a face-to-face meetings.  It is easier and more interactive with
people to write to-do's, future appointments etc. on paper in front of
them than have them sit there losing the focus of the meeting while I
try to enter electronic data.

"In any case, to do this, should I just write functions that:
     1. create new buffers for two sided printing,
     2. insert data from different emacs progams,
     3. formatted the way I want,
     4. then print.

"Is this basically a formatting problem or is it a printing problem ?
Are there any gotchas have to look out for?
Is there a better way?
Does something like this already exist?

"I want to use emacs because all the other PIMs I have looked at do not
create the exact printout I want, and I like the possibility that emacs
provides of making adjustments to the presentation of data.

"Details (if anyone is interested):
both sides in landscape,
1st side a five week daily graphic calendar
  - starting with the week of the current date
  - include headlines of appointments for that week and the next four,
  - leaving room to write or pencil in future appointments

2nd side
  - trifold with three panels,
  First panel
  -  Appointments for the day or the week (depending on which I choose,
i.e. how busy I am).
   Second panel
   - contact names and phone numbers for the appointments scheduled for
that day or week.
   Third panel
   - TODO list modifiable as in options available in orgmode.

"I want to keep the graphics as simple as possible, just enough to show
divisions etc. so as not to obscure any handwritten notes I may write on
it during the course of the day.

"I would print this out on one sheet of paper, both sides, fold it along
the two trifold dividers, then fold it in half and carry it in my hip or
shirt pocket.  It would be covered by hand written notes by the end of
the day or week, which I would then enter into the appropriate emacs
Calendar appointments, TODO, Contacts or notes.

"Is this too big of a challenge for someone who has never built a
function bigger than something for a simple key binding?"

--
Regards Bill

* Re: Prompted by "How to export a Timeline?" thread.
@ 2007-09-21 11:09 ` Charles Cave
From: Charles Cave @ 2007-09-21 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Case, emacs-orgmode@gnu.org >> emacs-orgmode

William Case wrote:

> "I want to create a print out that reflects a summary of my emacs
> Calendar, TODO lists and Address Book.  I still work with a folded piece
> of paper in my hip or shirt pocket.

Your idea sounds most useful but ambitious!   What you described
reminds me of the PocketMod product at <http://www.pocketmod.com>

A good approach to your task would be to create LaTeX code
from your data using your preferred scripting language.
You could read the raw Org mode file, or process the agenda file
using the org-batch-agenda-csv function.

At the moment, I just print my weekly agenda on an A4 sheet of paper,
printed double sided then fold it over and carry around with me.

Charles

* Re: Prompted by "How to export a Timeline?" thread.
@ 2007-09-21 18:08 ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2007-09-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello William

On Thu, Sep 20, 2007 at 01:09:27PM -0400, William Case wrote:

> "I want to create a print out that reflects a summary of my emacs
> Calendar, TODO lists and Address Book.  I still work with a folded piece
> of paper in my hip or shirt pocket.  I find electronic PIMs get in the
> way of a face-to-face meetings.  It is easier and more interactive with
> people to write to-do's, future appointments etc. on paper in front of
> them than have them sit there losing the focus of the meeting while I
> try to enter electronic data.

This would be great. I think that's what is missing in the otherwise
excellent org-package. I wish I could help but my lisp knowledge is
very limited.

Good luck and thanks,

Sven

* Re: Prompted by "How to export a Timeline?" thread.
@ 2007-09-23  7:38 ` Renzo Been
From: Renzo Been @ 2007-09-23  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,-----