* orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-07 17:55 Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-02-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I've had a small problem with orgmode and auctex.  Follwing the auctex
quickstart I added the following to my .emacs

(setq-default TeX-master nil)

and then from the orgmode FAQ to setup reftex in orgmode I added the
following

(defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
  (load-library "reftex")
  (and (buffer-file-name)
       (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
       (reftex-parse-all))
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation))
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)

With both of these, whenever I opened an org file I was asked to name the
master file.  If I comment out the setq-default I don't get the behaviour I
would like with mulitfile tex files.  My solution was to change

(setq-default TeX-master nil)

(add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook (lambda ()
               (setq-default TeX-master nil)))

I then appear to get the behaviour I desire.  Is this a good way to do
this?  If so I might add it to the FAQ.

Cheers
Chris.

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-07 18:15 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> wrote:

> I've had a small problem with orgmode and auctex.  Follwing the auctex quickstart I added the
> following to my .emacs
>
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
>
> and then from the orgmode FAQ to setup reftex in orgmode I added the following
>
> (defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
>   (load-library "reftex")
>   (and (buffer-file-name)
>        (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
>        (reftex-parse-all))
>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation))
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)
>
> With both of these, whenever I opened an org file I was asked to name the master file.  If I comment
> out the setq-default I don't get the behaviour I would like with mulitfile tex files.  My solution
> was to change
>
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)

> (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook (lambda ()
>                (setq-default TeX-master nil)))
>
> I then appear to get the behaviour I desire.  Is this a good way to do this?  If so I might add it
> to the FAQ.

Probably not. setq-default sets the default value of the variable
whereas the hook is supposed to set the local value in order to override
the default value: setting the default value from a hook seems backwards
to me.

Actually, I added the above code (*without* the TeX-mode-hook mod) to my
minimal .emacs and opening org files does not generate any questions. Are
you sure you have diagnosed the problem correctly?

Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-09 16:42   ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-02-09 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Org Mode

OK so using the setq-default inside a hook is probably not a good idea.
But I can reliably reproduce this problem, I'm surprised you couldn't.  If
I start emacs using emacs -Q and open an org file everything is fine.  If I
then evaluate this

(setq-default TeX-master nil)

(defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
  (load-library "reftex")
  (and (buffer-file-name)
       (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
       (reftex-parse-all))
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation))
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)

and try to open an org file I get prompted "Master file: ~/".  I'm running
Ubuntu 11.10 and the emacs-snapshot package: GNU Emacs 23.3.1
(i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5), latest org pulled from git today.
Is there any more information I could provide to help diagnose this problem?

Cheers
Chris.

On 7 February 2012 19:15, Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> wrote:
>
> > I've had a small problem with orgmode and auctex.  Follwing the auctex
> quickstart I added the
> > following to my .emacs
> >
> > (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> >
> > and then from the orgmode FAQ to setup reftex in orgmode I added the
> following
> >
> > (defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
> >   (load-library "reftex")
> >   (and (buffer-file-name)
> >        (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
> >        (reftex-parse-all))
> >   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation))
> > (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)
> >
> > With both of these, whenever I opened an org file I was asked to name
> the master file.  If I comment
> > out the setq-default I don't get the behaviour I would like with
> mulitfile tex files.  My solution
> > was to change
> >
> > (setq-default TeX-master nil)

> > (add-hook 'TeX-mode-hook (lambda ()
> >                (setq-default TeX-master nil)))
> >
> > I then appear to get the behaviour I desire.  Is this a good way to do
> this?  If so I might add it
> > to the FAQ.
> >

> Probably not. setq-default sets the default value of the variable
> whereas the hook is supposed to set the local value in order to override
> the default value: setting the default value from a hook seems backwards
> to me.
>
> Actually, I added the above code (*without* the TeX-mode-hook mod) to my
> minimal .emacs and opening org files does not generate any questions. Are
> you sure you have diagnosed the problem correctly?
>
> Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-09 19:59     ` Thomas Alexander Gerds
From: Thomas Alexander Gerds @ 2012-02-09 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Hi Chris,

maybe I cannot follow exactly what you are trying to do, but when I
start emacs -q and evaluate (setq-default TeX-master nil) and then open
a new file test.tex, then I get the same prompt "Master file:".

so maybe, if you do not want to get prompted, you could try setting
(setq-default TeX-master t).

Cheers
Tomy

--
Thomas A. Gerds -- Assoc. Prof. Department of Biostatistics
University of Copenhagen, Øster Farimagsgade 5, 1014 Copenhagen, Denmark

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-09 20:08       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-09 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Alexander Gerds; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, Org Mode, Christopher Witte

Thomas Alexander Gerds <tagteam@sund.ku.dk> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> maybe I cannot follow exactly what you are trying to do, but when I
> start emacs -q and evaluate (setq-default TeX-master nil) and then open
> a new file test.tex, then I get the same prompt "Master file:".

I think Chris means that he gets the prompt when he opens a .org file.
I couldn't reproduce that behavior when I tried it but I have not tried
it again yet.

Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-11 17:21         ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-02-11 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, Org Mode

Yes, I get this response when I open a .org file. I only want it when I
open a .tex file.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-11 17:33           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-11 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte; +Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, nicholas.dokos, Org Mode

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> wrote:

> Yes, I get this response when I open a .org file. I only want it when I open a .tex file.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I just reproduced it (no idea why I wasn't able to reproduce it earlier). Stay tuned.

Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-11 17:40         ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2012-02-11 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, Org Mode, Christopher Witte

On 9.2.2012, at 21:08, Nick Dokos wrote:

> Thomas Alexander Gerds <tagteam@sund.ku.dk> wrote:
>

>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> maybe I cannot follow exactly what you are trying to do, but when I
>> start emacs -q and evaluate (setq-default TeX-master nil) and then open
>> a new file test.tex, then I get the same prompt "Master file:".
>>

> I think Chris means that he gets the prompt when he opens a .org file.
> I couldn't reproduce that behavior when I tried it but I have not tried
> it again yet.

I think this prompt comes from the function `reftex-TeX-master-file'.  The
user is prompted when TeX-master is an existing variable (i.e. AUCTeX
is loaded), and when its value is nil or `shared'.

Greetings

- Carsten

> Nick
>

>> so maybe, if you do not want to get prompted, you could try setting
>> (setq-default TeX-master t).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Tomy
>>

>> Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> writes:
>>
>>> OK so using the setq-default inside a hook is probably not a good
>>> idea.
>>> But I can reliably reproduce this problem, I'm surprised you couldn't.
>>> If
>>> I start emacs using emacs -Q and open an org file everything is fine.
>>> If I
>>> then evaluate this
>>>
>>> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
>>>
>>> (defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
>>>  (load-library "reftex")
>>>  (and (buffer-file-name)
>>>       (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
>>>       (reftex-parse-all))
>>>  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation))
>>> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)
>>>
>>> and try to open an org file I get prompted "Master file: ~/".  I'm
>>> running
>>> Ubuntu 11.10 and the emacs-snapshot package: GNU Emacs 23.3.1
>>> (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5), latest org pulled from git
>>> today.
>>> Is there any more information I could provide to help diagnose this
>>> problem?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Chris.

>>> auctex

>>> the

>>> name

>>> to do

>>> override
>>> backwards

>>> to my
>>> questions. Are

>> --
>> Thomas A. Gerds -- Assoc. Prof. Department of Biostatistics
>> University of Copenhagen, Øster Farimagsgade 5, 1014 Copenhagen, Denmark
>> Office: CSS-15.2.07 (Gamle Kommunehospital)
>> tel: 35327914 (sec: 35327901)

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-11 18:11           ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-11 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik
  Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, nicholas.dokos, Org Mode,
	Christopher Witte

Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9.2.2012, at 21:08, Nick Dokos wrote:
>
> > Thomas Alexander Gerds <tagteam@sund.ku.dk> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Chris,
> >>
> >> maybe I cannot follow exactly what you are trying to do, but when I
> >> start emacs -q and evaluate (setq-default TeX-master nil) and then open
> >> a new file test.tex, then I get the same prompt "Master file:".
> >>

> > I think Chris means that he gets the prompt when he opens a .org file.
> > I couldn't reproduce that behavior when I tried it but I have not tried
> > it again yet.
>
> I think this prompt comes from the function `reftex-TeX-master-file'.

Indeed - the backtrace is as follows:

  completing-read-default("Master file: " read-file-name-internal file-exists-p t "~/src/org/" file-name-history "~/src/org/foo.org" nil)
  completing-read("Master file: " read-file-name-internal file-exists-p t "~/src/org/" file-name-history "~/src/org/foo.org")
  read-file-name-default("Master file: " nil nil t nil nil)
  read-file-name("Master file: " nil nil t nil)
  reftex-TeX-master-file()
  reftex-tie-multifile-symbols()
  reftex-access-scan-info((16))
  reftex-parse-all()
  (and (buffer-file-name) (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name)) (reftex-parse-all))
  org-mode-reftex-setup()
  run-hooks(change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook outline-mode-hook org-mode-hook)
  apply(run-hooks (change-major-mode-after-body-hook text-mode-hook outline-mode-hook org-mode-hook))
  run-mode-hooks(org-mode-hook)
  org-mode()
  set-auto-mode-0(org-mode nil)
  set-auto-mode()
  normal-mode(t)
  after-find-file(nil t)
  find-file-noselect-1(#<buffer foo.org> "~/src/org/foo.org" nil nil "~/src/org/foo.org" (3018153 2055))
  find-file-noselect("~/src/org/foo.org" nil nil t)
  find-file("~/src/org/foo.org" t)
  call-interactively(find-file nil nil)

> The user is prompted when TeX-master is an existing variable
> (i.e. AUCTeX is loaded), and when its value is nil or `shared'.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that: it checks if
TeX-master-file is defined as a function (i.e. AUCTEX is loaded) and if
so calls it. It then checks if tex-main-file is defined as a function
(i.e. Emacs LaTeX mode is loaded) and if so calls it. Then it check if
TeX-master is t (in which case (buffer-file-name) is called to set the
master, or 'shared (in which case it reads the file name) or non-nil (in
which case it is used verbatim) or nil (in which case it reads the file
name - the operative case here).

I'll leave it here for now: I've been sick for a couple of days and I
can't think straight right now (or ever...)

Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-20 12:57             ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-02-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Hi all,

(setq TeX-auto-save t)
(setq TeX-parse-self t)
(setq-default TeX-master nil)
(make-variable-buffer-local 'TeX-master) ;; I think this is need because
the variable is not buffer local until Auctex is active

(defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
  (setq TeX-master t)
  (load-library "reftex")
  (and (buffer-file-name)
       (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
       (progn
     (reftex-parse-all)
     (reftex-set-cite-format "[[cite:%l][%l]]")))
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation)
  (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c (") 'org-mode-reftex-search))
(add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)

This appears to work for me.  This should make the buffer local version of
TeX-master "t" for all org buffer and keep it the default otherwise.  Is
this a good way to work around this problem?

Cheers,
Chris.

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-24  5:34               ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-02-24  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Witte
  Cc: Thomas Alexander Gerds, nicholas.dokos, Org Mode, Carsten Dominik

Christopher Witte <chris@witte.net.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (setq TeX-auto-save t)
> (setq TeX-parse-self t)
> (setq-default TeX-master nil)
> (make-variable-buffer-local 'TeX-master) ;; I think this is need because the variable is not buffer
> local until Auctex is active
>
> (defun org-mode-reftex-setup ()
>   (setq TeX-master t)
>   (load-library "reftex")
>   (and (buffer-file-name)
>        (file-exists-p (buffer-file-name))
>        (progn
>      (reftex-parse-all)
>      (reftex-set-cite-format "[[cite:%l][%l]]")))
>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c )") 'reftex-citation)
>   (define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c (") 'org-mode-reftex-search))
> (add-hook 'org-mode-hook 'org-mode-reftex-setup)
>
> This appears to work for me.  This should make the buffer local version of TeX-master "t" for all
> org buffer and keep it the default otherwise.  Is this a good way to work around this problem?

I think so - at least, I can't think of a better way.

Nick

* Re: orgmode and auctex
@ 2012-02-24  8:57                 ` Christopher Witte
From: Christopher Witte @ 2012-02-24  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)