* images in orgmode
@ 2010-02-02 17:14 Erwin Panen
From: Erwin Panen @ 2010-02-02 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I'm finally trying out image support for Orgmode.
I've set up .emacs ((23.1.1 windows)according to
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-config-examples.php
After some slight modifications it seems to work.

I created a test.org file like this:
---------------begin test file--------
* Let's add a headline
* And a secong one
** Now a secondary level one
    [[~/images/scenario_27.png]]
    Try another one
    [[~/images/scenario_27.jpg]]

** Yes!! This works!!
** Now let's try this:
    `images/scenario_27.png´
--------------end test file-----------

Question:
When I click on one of the links between [ ] square brackets, my window
splits in half, and in the bottom half the image appears.
Looking at iimage here:
http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~kose/Emacs/iimage.html#4.+Key+bin
It should be possible to visualize these images inline with the text
instead of a separate window.

What needs to be done to achieve this? Any pointer to a concise tutorial?.

Thanks for your precious help,

Erwin

* Re: images in orgmode
@ 2010-02-02 21:07 ` Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-02-02 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwinpanen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm finally trying out image support for Orgmode.
> I've set up .emacs ((23.1.1 windows)according to
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-configs/org-config-examples.php
> After some slight modifications it seems to work.
>
> I created a test.org file like this:
> ---------------begin test file--------
> * Let's add a headline
> * And a secong one
> ** Now a secondary level one
>    [[~/images/scenario_27.png]]
>    Try another one
>    [[~/images/scenario_27.jpg]]
>
> ** Yes!! This works!!
> ** Now let's try this:
>    `images/scenario_27.png´
> --------------end test file-----------
>
> Question:
> When I click on one of the links between [ ] square brackets, my
> window splits in half, and in the bottom half the image appears.
> Looking at iimage here:
> http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~kose/Emacs/iimage.html#4.+Key+bin
> It should be possible to visualize these images inline with the text
> instead of a separate window.
>
> What needs to be done to achieve this? Any pointer to a concise tutorial?.

This works really well. From Eric Schulte's Emacs Starter Kit[fn:1]
Use M-x org-toggle-iimage-in-org to toggle links to images into the
images themselves. (Maybe this should also go on Worg hacks?)

** Support for viewing images
This allows for the viewing of images in-line in Org-mode documents.

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (require 'iimage)
  (setq iimage-mode-image-search-path (expand-file-name "~/"))
  ;; Match org file: links
  (add-to-list 'iimage-mode-image-regex-alist
               (cons (concat "\\[\\[file:\\(~?" iimage-mode-image-filename-regex
                             "\\)\\]")  1))
  (defun org-toggle-iimage-in-org ()
    (interactive)
    (let ((turning-on (not iimage-mode)))
      (set-face-underline-p 'org-link (not turning-on))
      (iimage-mode (or turning-on 0))))
#+end_src

Dan

> Thanks for your precious help,
>
> Erwin

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  http://github.com/eschulte/emacs-starter-kit
This is an org-mode literate programming fork of http://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit.

* Re: images in orgmode
@ 2010-02-02 21:11 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2010-02-02 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: erwinpanen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Erwin Panen <erwinpanen@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Question:
> When I click on one of the links between [ ] square brackets, my window=20
> splits in half, and in the bottom half the image appears.
> Looking at iimage here:=20
> http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~kose/Emacs/iimage.html#4.+Key+bin
> It should be possible to visualize these images inline with the text=20
> instead of a separate window.
>
> What needs to be done to achieve this? Any pointer to a concise tutorial?=

Download the source of iimage.el from the page above, and save it into some
file, say ~/iimage.el.

Then load the file:

     M-x load-file <RET> ~/iimage.el <RET>

Then visit your file and turn on iimage-mode:

    M-x iimage-mode

To turn off iimage-mode, give it a negative argument:

   ESC - M-x iimage-mode

HTH,
Nick