* Quick aquamacs related windowing question
@ 2009-07-14 20:47 Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-07-14 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I use org-mode on Aquamacs, and have some problems with the windowing.
E.g., when I schedule an item created with remember, aquamacs opens the
*Calendar* window in a different frame, then after I choose the date, I
am incorrectly left in that frame, instead of being returned to the
remember buffer.  This means that my C-c C-c to save the note is
rejected (because it's meaningless in the *Calendar* buffer), and I have
to return the focus to the remember buffer by hand.

Does anyone else see this in aquamacs?  Or, if you use aquamacs and you
DON'T see this, would you let me know?  I'd appreciate it, because it
would help me track down this problem...

I suspect the problem is that (at least on aquamacs) save-excursion
isn't doing what I expect it to do across frames.

Thanks!

* Re: Quick aquamacs related windowing question
@ 2009-07-14 21:54 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Goldman; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> wrote:

> I use org-mode on Aquamacs, and have some problems with the windowing.
> E.g., when I schedule an item created with remember, aquamacs opens the
> *Calendar* window in a different frame, then after I choose the date, I
> am incorrectly left in that frame, instead of being returned to the
> remember buffer.  This means that my C-c C-c to save the note is
> rejected (because it's meaningless in the *Calendar* buffer), and I have
> to return the focus to the remember buffer by hand.
>
> Does anyone else see this in aquamacs?  Or, if you use aquamacs and you
> DON'T see this, would you let me know?  I'd appreciate it, because it
> would help me track down this problem...
>
> I suspect the problem is that (at least on aquamacs) save-excursion
> isn't doing what I expect it to do across frames.

I don't know about aquamacs, but when I set calendar-setup to
calendar-only (I usually leave it at nil which foregoes frames altogether),
and try org-remember with C-c C-s to schedule it from the remember
buffer, I get the calendar frame and the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument window-live-p nil)
  select-window(nil)
  org-eval-in-calendar(nil t)
  byte-code(...)
  org-read-date(nil to-time nil nil nil nil)
  byte-code(...)
  org-add-planning-info(scheduled nil closed)
  org-schedule(nil)
  call-interactively(org-schedule nil nil)

If I try to schedule an item in an org file, I get the frame but clicking on
a date does not seem to do anything. So maybe org cannot deal with separate
calendar frames.

Thanks,
Nick

Versions:
GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9) of 2009-07-06 on gamaville.dokosmarshall.org
Org-mode version 6.28trans - commit c1d00fa463f797b4b42accaccf4bc0f32ad12994
                             Author: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
                             Date:   Mon Jul 6 17:00:03 2009 +0200

* Re: Quick aquamacs related windowing question
@ 2009-07-15 15:19   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-07-15 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos wrote:
> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman@sift.info> wrote:
>
>> I use org-mode on Aquamacs, and have some problems with the windowing.
>> E.g., when I schedule an item created with remember, aquamacs opens the
>> *Calendar* window in a different frame, then after I choose the date, I
>> am incorrectly left in that frame, instead of being returned to the
>> remember buffer.  This means that my C-c C-c to save the note is
>> rejected (because it's meaningless in the *Calendar* buffer), and I have
>> to return the focus to the remember buffer by hand.
>>
>> Does anyone else see this in aquamacs?  Or, if you use aquamacs and you
>> DON'T see this, would you let me know?  I'd appreciate it, because it
>> would help me track down this problem...
>>
>> I suspect the problem is that (at least on aquamacs) save-excursion
>> isn't doing what I expect it to do across frames.
>>

> I don't know about aquamacs, but when I set calendar-setup to
> calendar-only (I usually leave it at nil which foregoes frames altogether),
> and try org-remember with C-c C-s to schedule it from the remember
> buffer, I get the calendar frame and the following error:
>
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument window-live-p nil)
>   select-window(nil)
>   org-eval-in-calendar(nil t)
>   byte-code(...)
>   org-read-date(nil to-time nil nil nil nil)
>   byte-code(...)
>   org-add-planning-info(scheduled nil closed)
>   org-schedule(nil)
>   call-interactively(org-schedule nil nil)
>
> If I try to schedule an item in an org file, I get the frame but clicking on
> a date does not seem to do anything. So maybe org cannot deal with separate
> calendar frames.

Thank you very much.  I only use calendar to the extent that org-mode
invokes it, so I wasn't aware of the calendar-setup variable.  So I got
NIL, the same way you do.

On the other hand, on Aquamacs 1.8, based on emacs 22.3, I do not get
the error you are getting, and selecting a date works fine.

Trying to figure this out is a bit tricky, because I need to figure out
why something I expect to see is not happening, rather than something
happening wrong...  I will post more as I have more results.  If anyone
has any idea about what piece of code /should/ be returning the cursor
to the remember buffer, I would be grateful for any suggestions.

* Re: Quick aquamacs related windowing question
@ 2009-07-15 17:32     ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-07-15 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Quick follow-up:  The problem seems to be related to a block of code in
org-read-date that's wrapped in

(save-excursion
  (save-window-excursion
   ))

Does anyone have a clear understanding of how these two special forms
are going to interact?

I looked into the documentation for save-window-excursion, and while it
saves the currently-selected WINDOW, it does NOT save (or at least the
info page doesn't say it saves) the currently-selected FRAME.

So this seems to be my problem.

I will try to discover how to either save the currently selected frame
(this may not be possible --- I don't know how Emacs interacts with the
window manager), or how to tell Aquamacs to always pop up the *Calendar*
buffer in the same frame.

Best,
Robert