* Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
@ 2009-07-21 18:39 Markus Baden
From: Markus Baden @ 2009-07-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Ok, I'm not really fluent in emacs, but I try to describe my problem
anyhow ;-) I'm using org-mode in Aquamacs for a while now and since
lately the following error occurs (unfortunately I don't know what
change caused the problem):

When loading the minimal .emacs below [1], which just loads org-mode
and remember, I get the following error:

	Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

My setup is
	Aquamacs 1.8
	orgmode 6.27a
	remember 2.0

If I load the same .emacs in the console based emacs (22.3.1) of the
fink distribution on my mac no error occurs. And also no error occurs
when commenting out org-remember-insinuate.

Can anybody tell me what this max-specpdl-size is about (except from
what i have learned from describe-variable) and (hopefully) help to
get my Aquamacs/org-setup working again.

(Btw: How can I debug emacs in order to find out where exactly the
error lies)

Thank you very much for your help,

Markus

[1] Here is the .emacs:
;; Org-Mode
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-6.27a/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)

;; Orgmode remember
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/remember/" load-path))
(require 'remember)
(org-remember-insinuate) ; Fails!
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

* Re: Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
@ 2009-07-21 19:03 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-07-21 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Baden; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Baden <markus.baden@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, I'm not really fluent in emacs, but I try to describe my problem
> anyhow ;-) I'm using org-mode in Aquamacs for a while now and since
> lately the following error occurs (unfortunately I don't know what
> change caused the problem):

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Aquamacs other than the name.

> When loading the minimal .emacs below [1], which just loads org-mode
> and remember, I get the following error:
>
> 	Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size

This typically means that there is a recursive call (or a set of mutually
recursive calls) that does not "bottom out".

> My setup is
> 	Aquamacs 1.8
> 	orgmode 6.27a
> 	remember 2.0
>
> If I load the same .emacs in the console based emacs (22.3.1) of the
> fink distribution on my mac no error occurs. And also no error occurs
> when commenting out org-remember-insinuate.

I hope you are starting both Aquamacs and the "normal" emacs so that they
don't load any init files at all. For "normal" emacs, that's the -Q switch;
I don't know what it is for Aquamacs. The only way I can think of that this
difference in behavior might arise is by having the different emacsen start
differently.

> Can anybody tell me what this max-specpdl-size is about (except from
> what i have learned from describe-variable) and (hopefully) help to
> get my Aquamacs/org-setup working again.
>
> (Btw: How can I debug emacs in order to find out where exactly the
> error lies)

See the Feedback section in the org manual:

    http://orgmode.org/manual/index.html#Feedback

It's likely that you'll get a large backtrace buffer, but it should be
possible to find a cycle of calls that repeats endlessly in the backtrace.

> Thank you very much for your help,
>
> Markus
>
> [1] Here is the .emacs:
> ;; Org-Mode
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-6.27a/lisp" load-path))
> (require 'org-install)
>
> ;; Orgmode remember
> (setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/remember/" load-path))
> (require 'remember)
> (org-remember-insinuate) ; Fails!
> (define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

FWIW, I tried this on my emacs (ubuntu 8.04, GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu),
Org-mode version 6.28trans) and had no problem.

HTH,
Nick

* Re: Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
@ 2009-07-22 17:50   ` Robert Goldman
From: Robert Goldman @ 2009-07-22 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos <at> hp.com> writes:

> Markus Baden <markus.baden <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ok, I'm not really fluent in emacs, but I try to describe my problem
> > anyhow  I'm using org-mode in Aquamacs for a while now and since
> > lately the following error occurs (unfortunately I don't know what
> > change caused the problem):
> >
> > 	Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size
> >

> This typically means that there is a recursive call (or a set of mutually
> recursive calls) that does not "bottom out".
>
> > My setup is

> > If I load the same .emacs in the console based emacs (22.3.1) of the
> > fink distribution on my mac no error occurs. And also no error occurs
> > when commenting out org-remember-insinuate.
> >

> I hope you are starting both Aquamacs and the "normal" emacs so that they
> don't load any init files at all. For "normal" emacs, that's the -Q switch;
> I don't know what it is for Aquamacs. The only way I can think of that this
> difference in behavior might arise is by having the different emacsen start
> differently.

If it helps, Aquamacs has a menu entry under Help > Diagnose & Report Bug > that
will start Aquamacs "clean".  From there you could execute those statements and
see if the bug occurs.  That would help with the diagnosis, since it would rule
in or out involvement of your personal configuration.

Is there any chance that you are running org mode interpreted instead of
compiled?

I'm running the current git release on Aquamacs w/o any trouble.

Also, you can try doing M-x set-variable debug-on-error to t before you call
org-remember-insinuate.  That should give you a backtrace that you can post to
the list.

* Re: Re: Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
@ 2009-08-02 11:01     ` Markus Baden
From: Markus Baden @ 2009-08-02 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

thanks for the help so far. Currently I'm on vacation with no access
to my Mac where the described error occurs. I tried to reproduce the
error on a different Mac today and I couldn't. With a fresh Aquamacs
1.8, org-mode 6.28 and remember-mode 2.0 I had no problem running

;; Org-Mode
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/org-6.28e/lisp" load-path))
(require 'org-install)

;; Orgmode remember
(setq load-path (cons "~/elisp/remember-2.0/" load-path))
(require 'remember)
(org-remember-insinuate)
(define-key global-map "\C-cr" 'org-remember)

So it is clearly some misconfiguration on my side. One thing I did not
get in this thread is, what the difference between running org-mode
interpreted instead of compiled and why this may have caused the
trouble. Can someone explain this a little bit?

Cheers,

Markus

* Re: Re: Error after org-remember-insinuate on Aquamacs
@ 2009-08-02 18:19       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2009-08-02 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Baden; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Baden <markus.baden@gmail.com> wrote:

> So it is clearly some misconfiguration on my side. One thing I did not
> get in this thread is, what the difference between running org-mode
> interpreted instead of compiled and why this may have caused the
> trouble. Can someone explain this a little bit?

In itself, that should *not* cause the trouble.  The only difference
should be that when you hit an error, the backtrace is much more
informative if you are running interpreted, rather than compiled, code.

HTH,
Nick