* [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 19:05 Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2011-02-01 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

this is OT, but I'm really baffled right now.

M-x doesn't work anymore!!  The M key works, e.g. M-w still does what
it's supposed to if a region is active, and I can use ESC x instead.

But M-x just refuses to work, neither in an orgmode-file, nor in my
.emacs, nor in the *scratch* buffer.

I'm *positive* I didn't change anything in my .emacs or elsewhere, and
this is specific to M-x.

I'm using emacs 23.2.1 on Win 7 64 bit Enterprise.

Any ideas as to what's going on?

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 19:37 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Markus,

> M-x doesn't work anymore!!  The M key works, e.g. M-w still does what
> it's supposed to if a region is active, and I can use ESC x instead.

What does C-h k M-x say?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 19:57   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2011-02-01 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Markus,
>
>> M-x doesn't work anymore!!  The M key works, e.g. M-w still does what
>> it's supposed to if a region is active, and I can use ESC x instead.
>
> What does C-h k M-x say?

For C-h k M-x, it doesn't say anything.

For C-h k ESC-x, it says the following:

M-x (translated from <escape> x) runs the command
execute-extended-command, which is an interactive built-in function in
`C source code'.

It is bound to <execute>, <menu>, M-x.

(execute-extended-command PREFIXARG)

Read function name, then read its arguments and call it.

To pass a numeric argument to the command you are invoking with, specify
the numeric argument to this command.

Noninteractively, the argument PREFIXARG is the prefix argument to
give to the command you invoke, if it asks for an argument.

Not sure what to make of this ...

Markus

* Re: Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 20:29     ` Erik Iverson
From: Erik Iverson @ 2011-02-01 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller wrote:
> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>>> M-x doesn't work anymore!!  The M key works, e.g. M-w still does what
>>> it's supposed to if a region is active, and I can use ESC x instead.
>> What does C-h k M-x say?
>
> For C-h k M-x, it doesn't say anything.
>
> For C-h k ESC-x, it says the following:

<snip>

You should start emacs with the -q flag and see if it still
happens.  Assuming M-x returns, comment out 1/2 of your .emacs
file and determine by binary search where the problem is.

--Erik

* Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 21:46       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2011-02-01 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Markus Heller wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Markus,

>>> What does C-h k M-x say?
>>
>> For C-h k M-x, it doesn't say anything.
>>
>> For C-h k ESC-x, it says the following:
>
> <snip>
>
> You should start emacs with the -q flag and see if it still
> happens.  Assuming M-x returns, comment out 1/2 of your .emacs
> file and determine by binary search where the problem is.

That might be a stupid question, but how do I do this under Win 7?  I
just double-click on runemacs.exe ...

Markus

* Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-01 23:18       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2011-02-01 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Erik Iverson <eriki@ccbr.umn.edu> writes:

> Markus Heller wrote:
>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Markus,

>>> What does C-h k M-x say?
>>
>> For C-h k M-x, it doesn't say anything.
>>
>> For C-h k ESC-x, it says the following:
>
> <snip>
>
> You should start emacs with the -q flag and see if it still
> happens.  Assuming M-x returns, comment out 1/2 of your .emacs
> file and determine by binary search where the problem is.

Since I don't know how to use flags when starting emacs under Windoze (I
just double-click the runemacs.exe icon), I moved my .emacs to a
different folder and then started emacs without any customizations.

Same result: M-x doesn't work.  What's going on here?

Markus

* Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-02  7:54     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-02-02  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Markus,

>> What does C-h k M-x say?
>
> For C-h k M-x, it doesn't say anything.

Says nothing means you still have the "Describe key: " prompt, right?
Well, that means that emacs doesn't receive the keychord at all.
Something seems to consume it before it hits emacs.  Maybe you installed
some application that steals Alt-x from emacs?  Or did you somehow
create some global Alt-x shortcut, possibly by accident?

Since I have no clue about windows, I don't have an idea how to debug
that further...

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Re: [OT] M-x not working anymore
@ 2011-02-02 14:20         ` Darlan Cavalcante Moreira
From: Darlan Cavalcante Moreira @ 2011-02-02 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

You can create a shourtcut to emacs somewhere and edit the command of that
shotcut to include the options you want in the command, in this case the
"-q" flag.

--
Darlan