* ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-24 23:41 Markus Heller
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-24 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello everyone,

this might be a little OT, but I'm having a hard time to get ditaa to
run properly.  The org-mode part works, it's the Java part that's giving
me trouble, I'm getting loads of "Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.misc stuff goes here" errors, and I have no Java experience
whatsoever.

I'm on a windoze XP box, and I was wondering if a fellow user might be
willing to share his/her set-up.

Thanks and Cheers
Markus

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-25  3:50 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-25  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Interesting. I use Linux but have a Win XP box at work and set up Org-mode
for a co-worker so that I would know how to set it up on Windows for him. I
didn't have any trouble, actually.

I just put:
(setq org-ditaa-jar-path "C:/Program
Files/emacs23/org.git/contrib/scripts/ditaa.jar")

and

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((ditaa . t)))

in init.el and all worked fine. One thing you might try is running ditaa
right from the command line. I haven't done this on Windows, but the Linux
command would be:

Make the file "ditaa.txt" and copy this into it (from
http://ditaa.sourceforge.net/):

    +--------+   +-------+    +-------+
    |        | --+ ditaa +--> |       |
    |  Text  |   +-------+    |diagram|
    |Document|   |!magic!|    |       |
    |     {d}|   |       |    |       |
    +---+----+   +-------+    +-------+
        :                         ^
        |       Lots of work      |

+-------------------------+

Save the file and run "java -jar /path/to/ditaa.jar ditaa.txt" and see what
happens.

If it works, something's goofed with the org-mode setup. If it doesn't work,
something else is goofy.

Sorry I can't help more!
John

@ 2010-09-25 13:54 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-25 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> this might be a little OT, but I'm having a hard time to get ditaa to
> run properly.  The org-mode part works, it's the Java part that's giving
> me trouble, I'm getting loads of "Exception in thread "main"
> java.lang.misc stuff goes here" errors, and I have no Java experience
> whatsoever.
>
> I'm on a windoze XP box, and I was wondering if a fellow user might be
> willing to share his/her set-up.
>
> Thanks and Cheers
> Markus

Hi Markus,

does `org-ditaa-jar-path' have the correct value?
You can find out this way:

    M-: org-ditaa-jar-path RET

Can you execute

   java -jar c:\path\to\ditaa.jar --help

on the command line using the value of that variable?

If not, I suspect you use an outdated version of Org mode and need to
set `org-ditaa-jar-path' to the correct value yourself.  Nowadays this
variable is set to the correct value automatically and ditaa.jar comes
with the development version of Org mode.

  Sebastian

* AW: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-25 13:56 ` Martin Stemplinger
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2010-09-25 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

this might be a little OT, but I'm having a hard time to get ditaa to run
properly.  The org-mode part works, it's the Java part that's giving me
trouble, I'm getting loads of "Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.misc stuff goes here" errors, and I have no Java experience
whatsoever.

I experienced similar problems with the latest ditaa version (0.9) from
sourceforge but not with version 0.8 (no idea why). So you might give that
version a try.

HTH
Martin

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 16:55   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-27 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> this might be a little OT, but I'm having a hard time to get ditaa to
>> run properly.  The org-mode part works, it's the Java part that's giving
>> me trouble, I'm getting loads of "Exception in thread "main"
>> java.lang.misc stuff goes here" errors, and I have no Java experience
>> whatsoever.
>>
>> I'm on a windoze XP box, and I was wondering if a fellow user might be
>> willing to share his/her set-up.
>>
>> Thanks and Cheers
>> Markus
>

> Hi Markus,
>

> does `org-ditaa-jar-path' have the correct value?
> You can find out this way:
>
>     M-: org-ditaa-jar-path RET

Yes, it does.

> Can you execute
>
>    java -jar c:\path\to\ditaa.jar --help
>
> on the command line using the value of that variable?

Doing this gives the following error:

C:\Documents and Settings\mheller>java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\mheller\.e
macs.d\org-mode\contrib\scripts\ditaa.jar --help
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
e file specified
        at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

> If not, I suspect you use an outdated version of Org mode and need to
> set `org-ditaa-jar-path' to the correct value yourself.  Nowadays this
> variable is set to the correct value automatically and ditaa.jar comes
> with the development version of Org mode.

M-x org-version:  7.01trans (release_7.01h.580.g2157)

Is this a java problem?

Thanks
Markus

* Re: Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 17:08     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-27 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

>> does `org-ditaa-jar-path' have the correct value?
>> You can find out this way:
>>
>>     M-: org-ditaa-jar-path RET
>
> Yes, it does.
>
>> Can you execute
>>
>>    java -jar c:\path\to\ditaa.jar --help
>>
>> on the command line using the value of that variable?
>
> Doing this gives the following error:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\mheller>java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\mheller\.e
> macs.d\org-mode\contrib\scripts\ditaa.jar --help
> Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
> e file specified
>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

OK, it's a Java problem.

The packages java.util.zip and java.util.jar come with your Java
installation.  Jave couldn't access *.jar packages ortherwise.

Seems your Java is outdated.  An update/re-install will help.

HTH

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 17:11     ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
> C:\Documents and Settings\mheller>java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\mheller\.e
> macs.d\org-mode\contrib\scripts\ditaa.jar --help
> Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
> e file specified
>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

Oh - or could the spaces in the path trigger that problem?

You could try to put ditaa.jar to

   C:\ditaa.jar

and retry.

That would move the error to Org-mode.

  Sebastian

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 17:28       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-27 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>> C:\Documents and Settings\mheller>java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\mheller\.e
>> macs.d\org-mode\contrib\scripts\ditaa.jar --help
>> Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
>> e file specified
>>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
>>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>

> Oh - or could the spaces in the path trigger that problem?
>
> You could try to put ditaa.jar to
>
>    C:\ditaa.jar
>
> and retry.
>
> That would move the error to Org-mode.

I did this, and now I get:

C:\>java -jar ditaa.jar --help
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/stathissi
deris/ascii2image/core/CommandLineConverter (Unsupported major.minor version 49.
0)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

And neither java.util.zip nor java.util.jar exist on my system, although
I've just re-installed the Java Runtime Environment jre1.6.0_07.

I wish I was using a Mac or Linux ...

* Re: Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 21:04         ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2010-09-27 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
> Sebastian Rose <sebastian_rose@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>>> C:\Documents and Settings\mheller>java -jar C:\Documents and Settings\mheller\.e
>>> macs.d\org-mode\contrib\scripts\ditaa.jar --help
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
>>> e file specified
>>>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
>>>         at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>>         at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
>>

>> Oh - or could the spaces in the path trigger that problem?
>>
>> You could try to put ditaa.jar to
>>
>>    C:\ditaa.jar
>>
>> and retry.
>>
>> That would move the error to Org-mode.
>
> I did this, and now I get:
>
> C:\>java -jar ditaa.jar --help
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/stathissi
> deris/ascii2image/core/CommandLineConverter (Unsupported major.minor version 49.
> 0)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native Method)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
>         at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)

I guess you're still using Java 1.4 and some of the current ditaa
components require at least java 5 (v. 1.5....).

> And neither java.util.zip nor java.util.jar exist on my system, although

java.util and java.zip live in rt.jar as most important packages do.

> I've just re-installed the Java Runtime Environment jre1.6.0_07.

Which is what I use here (java version "1.6.0_21")

But I guess

   java -version

will show an elder version.

  Sebastian

* Re: Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-27 22:04         ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-09-27 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Heller; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Markus,

Can you check your CLASSPATH environment variable? Mine is (not sure if it's
correct, but it works...):

.;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Do you have one set?

Is this any help?
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/essential/environment/paths.html

This is quite odd and makes me wonder if it's Java related. Like a corrupt
installation somehow.

@ 2010-09-28 17:00           ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-28 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
> Can you check your CLASSPATH environment variable? Mine is (not sure
> if it's correct, but it works...):
>
> .;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Unset this variable and try again.  The default CLASSPATH is simply ".",
but you don't need to set the environment variable then.

http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/classpath.html

BTW, you can run 'java -verbose' to get more output that may show you
where the problem really is (like looking for files in the wrong place
or something like that).

Achim.

* Re: Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-29 16:04             ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-09-29 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

once this is resolved, I believe this would be important to be added
to the FAQ.
Can someone please take care of this?

Thanks!

- Carsten

@ 2010-09-29 17:27               ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-29 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Hi everyone,
>
> once this is resolved, I believe this would be important to be added
> to the FAQ.
> Can someone please take care of this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Carsten

Ah, yes, thanks for reminding me to follow up on this.

> On Sep 28, 2010, at 7:00 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
>
>> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Can you check your CLASSPATH environment variable? Mine is (not sure
>>> if it's correct, but it works...):
>>>
>>> .;C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip
>>
>> Unset this variable and try again.  The default CLASSPATH is simply
>> ".",
>> but you don't need to set the environment variable then.
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/classpath.html
>>
>> BTW, you can run 'java -verbose' to get more output that may show you
>> where the problem really is (like looking for files in the wrong place
>> or something like that).

The problem has not been solved, but I have confirmed that the cause is
*NOT* related to org-mode, so there's no need for a FAQ entry :)

Thanks to all the folks who tried to help, on the list and off the list.

Cheers
Markus

PS: Here's a quick summary for those interested:

The root of all evil is *NOT* org-mode, but rather the fact that my OS
(windoze XP) insists on finding an outdated Java version (1.4).  I have
installed the Java 1.6 runtime environment, and as far as I can tell, all
my environment variables contain only pointers to this installation, yet
java -version shows 1.4.2_03.

I just figured out that this old installation is connected to another
piece of software, which is annoying as hell in itself.

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-29 17:48                 ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-29 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
> The root of all evil is *NOT* org-mode, but rather the fact that my OS
> (windoze XP) insists on finding an outdated Java version (1.4).  I have
> installed the Java 1.6 runtime environment, and as far as I can tell, all
> my environment variables contain only pointers to this installation, yet
> java -version shows 1.4.2_03.

That should be fixable by removing the part of the %PATH% environment
variable that contains the 1.4.2 java executable.  Once you know where
that is, it should suggest itself which software is responsible for this.

> I just figured out that this old installation is connected to another
> piece of software, which is annoying as hell in itself.

You confirmed this or is this just a guess?  I'd run the "Software"
panel and check if the old JRE is still listed there, if yes that's a
way to do a clean uninstall.  If not you can still use the Java control
panel from the new JRE and disable the old one (it should find and list
all JRE on your computer if you let it do a search).  I don't think this
takes care of the %PATH%, which can most likely be (un)set from the
"System" control panel.

HTH,
Achim.

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-29 18:01                   ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-29 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>> The root of all evil is *NOT* org-mode, but rather the fact that my OS
>> (windoze XP) insists on finding an outdated Java version (1.4).  I have
>> installed the Java 1.6 runtime environment, and as far as I can tell, all
>> my environment variables contain only pointers to this installation, yet
>> java -version shows 1.4.2_03.
>
> That should be fixable by removing the part of the %PATH% environment
> variable that contains the 1.4.2 java executable.  Once you know where
> that is, it should suggest itself which software is responsible for this.
>
>> I just figured out that this old installation is connected to another
>> piece of software, which is annoying as hell in itself.
>
> You confirmed this or is this just a guess?  I'd run the "Software"
> panel and check if the old JRE is still listed there, if yes that's a
> way to do a clean uninstall.  If not you can still use the Java control
> panel from the new JRE and disable the old one (it should find and list
> all JRE on your computer if you let it do a search).  I don't think this
> takes care of the %PATH%, which can most likely be (un)set from the
> "System" control panel.

I removed the old Java version from %PATH%, and now java -version gives
the correct version (1.6.0_21).

I can use ditaa on the command line:

H:\org\test>java -jar ditaa.jar ditaa_test.txt

DiTAA version 0.8, Copyright (C) 2004--2009  Efstathios Sideris

Running with options:
Reading file: ditaa_test.txt
Locale: en_US
Dialog.bold
Rendering to file: ditaa_test_4.png
Done in 0sec

But when I try to run the same ditaa code from within org-mode using
babel, I get error messages:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: org/stathissideris/ascii2image/core/CommandLineConverter (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "main"

Here's my source:

#+begin_src ditaa :file folder_structure.png :cmdline -r -s 0.8

    +---$COMPOUND_REGISTRY/

        |--- 1H/

        |--- 13C/

        +--- MS/

#+end_src

#+results:
[[file:folder_structure.png]]

And my babel set up from my .emacs:

(setq org-ditaa-jar-path "~/.emacs.d/org-mode/contrib/scripts/ditaa.jar")

(add-hook 'org-babel-after-execute-hook 'org-display-inline-images)

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((emacs-lisp . t)
   (ditaa . t)))

Am I still missing something here?

@ 2010-09-29 18:17                     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2010-09-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
> I removed the old Java version from %PATH%, and now java -version gives
> the correct version (1.6.0_21).

Good.

> But when I try to run the same ditaa code from within org-mode using
> babel, I get error messages:

Sure, you've only changed the %PATH% in the cmd window, all other
processes still see the old value.  You need to remove it from the
%PATH% on system level, then it should also work from Emacs.  If you
customize exec-path in Emacs you might be able to remove the wrong path
there (if you try, just save it "for this session only"), but you should
really remove the old JRE completely if only for security reasons.

Achim.

DIY Stuff:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/DIY.html

* Re: ditaa set-up on windows box
@ 2010-09-29 20:15                       ` Markus Heller
From: Markus Heller @ 2010-09-29 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> Markus Heller <hellerm2@gmail.com> writes:
>> I removed the old Java version from %PATH%, and now java -version gives
>> the correct version (1.6.0_21).
>
> Good.
>
>> But when I try to run the same ditaa code from within org-mode using
>> babel, I get error messages:
>
> Sure, you've only changed the %PATH% in the cmd window, all other
> processes still see the old value.  You need to remove it from the
> %PATH% on system level, then it should also work from Emacs.  If you
> customize exec-path in Emacs you might be able to remove the wrong path
> there (if you try, just save it "for this session only"), but you should
> really remove the old JRE completely if only for security reasons.

Actually, I did change the system %PATH% through the control panel and
environment variables, but I did not re-start emacs.  After doing that,
everything works fine :)

Oh, and I'd *love* to remove the old JRE, but that's part of another
software installation (I'm working in a company), and unfortunately, I
can't just wipe that thing off my hard drive.

Anyway, issue solved :)

Thanks to all and Cheers!!
Markus