On 2016-10-10 10:17, Nick Dokos wrote: > Clément Pit--Claudel writes: > >> On 2016-10-07 22:38, Adam Porter wrote: >>> I understand the motivation for making this change, but I respectfully >>> request that this be made configurable. I much prefer the "clean" links >>> without visible brackets, and adding them would seem like a regression >>> to me. I'm guessing that many current Org users would also prefer to >>> keep the brackets invisible. >> >> Adam, what do you think of my earlier suggestion (displaying the >> brackets when the pointer is on them, hiding them otherwise? (In the >> style of prettify-symbols-mode with unprettify-symbol-at-point) >> > > I don't particularly care whether the brackets are shown or not, but I > dislike things that change the visual appearance as you roll over > them. Note that by pointer I meant point, not mouse; IOW, pointing on something with your mouse would not change anything display-wise. I'm not sure what you meant by roll-over. > The web is full of such things and they drive me bananas: you > are trying to read something and you roll over something in the text > that changes its appearance, possibly shifting the text that you are > reading and leaving you to chase it around the page - good bye, > concentration. Even if you do it by just switching visibility on the > brackets, it's distracting when you are reading; it might be helpful > when composing but I'm not convinced even for that. Agreed. I'd be curious to get feedback from users of prettify-symbols-mode, too. And to know whether your objections apply as strongly to just revealing the brackets when the point is on them (not when they are being moused over) Cheers, Clément.