From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: Andreas Roehler <andreas.roehler@online.de>
Subject: Re: footnote renumber bug
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 23:49:47 +0200	[thread overview]

On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Andreas Roehler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after reopening a file with two footnotes inside,
> inserting a third footnote between first and second, it
> fails to renumber it.
>
> below the test-buffer
>
> Should I'm right so far --even seeing footnote reimplemented-- maybe
> have a look at
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/footnote-
> init.el
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/GNU-Emacs-
> footnote.diff
>
> https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/XEmacs-
> footnote.diff
>
> Thanks all
>

> Andreas Röhler

Hi Andreas,

you are the author of footnote-init.el, right?  That was an important
fix for footnote.el to make it usable for more than one-off documents.

Let me re-enforce a few things that have already come up here,
mainly in Matt's post.

Org-mode started out using footnote.el, which I think is an
excellent package for its original purpose - footnotes in emails.

But after a lengthy discussion here on the list which you can
find in the archive, I implemented a different mechanism.

The main reasons were to allow for named footnotes and, most
importantly, inline footnotes.  These are very helpful
when you are building documents using cut and paste,
which is where footnote.el fails.

Org did not implement automatic renumbering and sorting because
it makes less sense to do so if footnotes are inline, or named
and referenced multiple times.

I can see that, when using footnotes in an isolated
small document and automatic footnote lable generation,
automatic renumbering and sorting is indeed useful.

In this case, you could fall back to footnote.el.
However, Org does internally have functions to sort
and renumber footnotes, so there is no reason why we could
not call them after generating or deleting a note.
Lets see ... OK,  in the latest git version of Org, use

    (setq org-footnote-auto-adjust t)

On a per-file basis you can also turn this on and off with

#+STARTUP: fnadjust
#+STARTUP: nofnadjust

HTH

- Carsten