* org-article setup
@ 2010-11-16 23:46 Mario E. Munich
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mario E. Munich @ 2010-11-16 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear all,

I am trying to use the org-article class created by Tomas Dye. As you might
guess, I am having some trouble and thus the email. I am using emacs 23.1.1
on Ubuntu 10.10 and org-mode verision TAG=7.3.

I have followed the instructions on worg:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.php

up to the point in which I need to tangle the org document.

If I try to run the tangle command: M-x org-babel-tangle RET, I get the
following error: No org-bable-execute function for python!

I think that  the problem is that I do not have any setup for Babel in my
.emacs, so I went to look for the standard Babel setup in the org manual and
in worg.

- In the org Manual, I see chapter 14 devoted to Babel, but I do not see any
information on how to set it up in my .emacs (maybe it is enabled by default
since Babel is included in org, but I am not sure).

- In worg, there is a page for Babel:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php and a corresponding
Introductory Tutorial. In this page, there is a section called Initial
Configuration in which there is a mention of a "five-step process", but the
corresponding list of steps only have 3 items.

I would appreciate if somebody could guide me towards a simple Babel
configuration that would help me tangle the org-article.org document.

Thanks a lot for all the help!

-Mario

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17  0:24 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mariomu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Nov 16, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Mario E. Munich wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to use the org-article class created by Tomas Dye. As
> you might guess, I am having some trouble and thus the email. I am
> using emacs 23.1.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 and org-mode verision TAG=7.3.
>
> I have followed the instructions on worg:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.php
>
> up to the point in which I need to tangle the org document.
>
> If I try to run the tangle command: M-x org-babel-tangle RET, I get
> the following error: No org-bable-execute function for python!
>
> I think that  the problem is that I do not have any setup for Babel
> in my .emacs, so I went to look for the standard Babel setup in the
> org manual and in worg.
>
> - In the org Manual, I see chapter 14 devoted to Babel, but I do not
> see any information on how to set it up in my .emacs (maybe it is
> enabled by default since Babel is included in org, but I am not sure).
>
> - In worg, there is a page for Babel: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php
>  and a corresponding Introductory Tutorial. In this page, there is a
> section called Initial Configuration in which there is a mention of
> a "five-step process", but the corresponding list of steps only have
> 3 items.
>
> I would appreciate if somebody could guide me towards a simple Babel
> configuration that would help me tangle the org-article.org document.
>
> Thanks a lot for all the help!
>
> -Mario

Aloha Mario,

Yes, it sounds like Babel isn't configured yet.  Here is what I use:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp :tangle yes
   (org-babel-do-load-languages
    'org-babel-load-languages
    '((R . t)
      (C . t)
      (ditaa . t)
      (dot . t)
      (emacs-lisp . t)
      (gnuplot . nil)
      (haskell . nil)
      (latex . t)
      (ocaml . nil)
      (org . t)
      (perl . t)
      (python . t)
      (ruby . t)
      (screen . nil)
      (sh . t)
      (sql . nil)
      (sqlite . t)))
#+end_src

You can adjust it to your needs by changing t and nil appropriately.

hth,
Tom

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17  5:11 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-17  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mariomu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Mario E. Munich <mariomu@ieee.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to use the org-article class created by Tomas Dye. As you might
> guess, I am having some trouble and thus the email. I am using emacs 23.1.1
> on Ubuntu 10.10 and org-mode verision TAG=7.3.
>
> I have followed the instructions on worg:
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.php
>
> up to the point in which I need to tangle the org document.
>
> If I try to run the tangle command: M-x org-babel-tangle RET, I get the
> following error: No org-bable-execute function for python!
>
> I think that  the problem is that I do not have any setup for Babel in my
> .emacs, so I went to look for the standard Babel setup in the org manual and
> in worg.

Yup -- that's the error.

> - In the org Manual, I see chapter 14 devoted to Babel, but I do not see
> any information on how to set it up in my .emacs (maybe it is enabled by
> default since Babel is included in org, but I am not sure).

I concur and think that's weird. Even if it is on worg... perhaps the manual
should point there? There's a decent amount on babel in the manual so I
found it a bit odd that it didn't provide the setup syntax (like Thomas
did).

> - In worg, there is a page for Babel:
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php and a corresponding
> Introductory Tutorial. In this page, there is a section called Initial
> Configuration in which there is a mention of a "five-step process", but the
> corresponding list of steps only have 3 items.

5 vs. 3 is kind of funny. Some of those aren't really even steps. For your
case it's as easy as opening up .emacs and adding this:

(org-babel-do-load-languages
 'org-babel-load-languages
 '((python . t)))

Though as Thomas listed, you can have more. It looks like he actually puts
his right into the org file itself with a #+src block.

As for the rest of the steps, I actually wasn't able to get it to compile. I
get a bunch of these errors:

,-----
| SyntaxError: invalid syntax
| File "<stdin>", line 17
|    print res
|            ^
| SyntaxError: invalid syntax
`-----

I think I get those to go away with "print (res)" instead of res by itself.
I think I've had that error before and it's a python version issue. I'd
suggest changing it if it's accepted by older versions since python is
perhaps moving that direction? I run Arch Linux and would guess that I may
be on a later version than a lot of distros.

I also get this at the end in the minibuffer at the very end:
,-----
| reference "gantttest" not found in this buffer
`-----

I get not class file.

> I would appreciate if somebody could guide me towards a simple Babel
> configuration that would help me tangle the org-article.org document.

It'd probably be a good idea for someone to clean up worg and the manual a
bit. I can do some of those things -- Thomas, perhaps you want to handle the
org-article specific things if there are some compilation issues on my end
that find fixes and I can make worg a little clearer about babel setup? Not
sure who oversees the manual, but a redirect at the least to worg for .emacs
configuration would be helpful.

John

> Thanks a lot for all the help!
>
> -Mario

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17  5:37   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: mariomu, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

Apologies for having stupidly done some hacky development work on the
master branch of org-article.  You must have pulled this weekend when
things were *really* unsettled.  The errors you're getting now are
ones I introduced but have since fixed.

The python dependency is from a work in progress that will eventually
(and hopefully) support the minted package for source code markup and
typesetting.   This is the kind of thing that should live in a git
branch before it ends up throwing errors around your workspace.  So,
more apologies.

I'll work at getting all the development stuff into a branch so master
is stable again.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17  6:58   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: mariomu, emacs-orgmode

Aloha John and Mario,

I've moved my buggy development efforts to a branch and you can now
pull a stable version of Org-article if you're so inclined.

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17  7:18 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mariomu; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Mario,

Thanks for pointing this out.  I've removed reference to the old five-
step process.

All the best,
Tom

On Nov 16, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Mario E. Munich wrote:

> - In worg, there is a page for Babel: http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.php
>  and a corresponding Introductory Tutorial. In this page, there is a
> section called Initial Configuration in which there is a mention of
> a "five-step process", but the corresponding list of steps only have
> 3 items.

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17 21:07     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: mariomu, emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Tom.

I'm getting an error, though. I tried both settings from Section 1.2 (
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/examples/article-class.php#sec-1_2)
and get this error when I start emacs:

,-----
| Symbol's value as variable is void: org-export-latex-classes
`-----

I just did a fresh git pull, make clean, make && make install just to be
sure it wasn't just my version.

What am I goofing up?

Thanks,
John

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17 21:40       ` Thomas S. Dye
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTinOZrEUS4RxsMKUW7Jy+4s+Tjh9i+iANiUBpvsz@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Hendy; +Cc: mariomu, emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

Perhaps this is missing:

   (require 'org-latex)

Let me know if that fixes your problem and I'll add it to the
instructions.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: org-article setup
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTinOZrEUS4RxsMKUW7Jy+4s+Tjh9i+iANiUBpvsz@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-17 22:47           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2010-11-17 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aloha John,

Thanks for helping with this.  It is fixed now, though the change on
Worg might not appear for some minutes.

All the best,
Tom

* Re: org-article setup
@ 2010-11-17 23:07             ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2010-11-17 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

No problem and thanks for your swift work!

John

* Re: org-article setup
       [not found]         ` <AANLkTinOZrEUS4RxsMKUW7Jy+4s+Tjh9i+iANiUBpvsz@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-11-22  8:09         ` Mario E. Munich
From: Mario E. Munich @ 2010-11-22  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Dear Thomas and John,

thanks a lot for the prompt reply! I just had time to follow the
instructions and it works!!!

Best regards,

-Mario

* Re: org-article setup