* Question about section titles
@ 2012-08-28 13:29 Neuwirth Erich
From: Neuwirth Erich @ 2012-08-28 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I am exporting an org file to html. The text is German.
The table of contents, however, gets a sections with the title
Table of Contents.

How can I change this section title?

Erich

* Re: Question about section titles
@ 2012-08-28 14:37 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2012-08-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neuwirth Erich; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Neuwirth Erich <erich.neuwirth@univie.ac.at> wrote:

> I am exporting an org file to html. The text is German.
> The table of contents, however, gets a sections with the title
> Table of Contents.
>
> How can I change this section title?

Add the following to the beginning of your file:

#+LANGUAGE: de
#+LaTeX_header: \usepackage[german]{babel}

The second is strictly LaTeX of course, not HTML, but the latex
exporter does not seem to obey the #+LANGUAGE: option, so this
is a way to force it.

Nick

* Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-28 22:14   ` Luis Anaya
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-08-28 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi:

I was interchanging emails with Bastien regarding some items I've been
working on for the past few month in my spare time. Some will be posted
into the development branch, but for others I would like to get some
feedback if these should be made available or not in the org-mode
github, they're available on mine (https://github.com/papoanaya/emacs_utils)

New items

ob-mathomatic.el :: Babel mode for Mathomatic. Mathomatic is a CAS written
in C. Very small and portable. I wrote it out of necessity being that my Atrix
does not have enough drive space for anything too big.  It supports
plotting via gnuplot. For more information go to.
(www.mathomatic.org)

org-groff-mom.el :: Groff exporter using MOM's macros. This one is
almost complete. (http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html)

org-platypus.el :: Exporter mode for Platypus. Platypus is a small
typesetter written in java that is still in active development. Not
something I would put in main yet being that there are missing features
in the typesetter. (like no numbered headings!)

But it is good enough to play with it. You can see the
results at https://www.box.com/s/b02f017f0d8854c6cbdb
(platypus.pz.org)

ob-tcl.el :: I work with TCL daily, I just had to do it. It's a clone of
the ob-perl.el one translated to TCL. This should also work with expect and
ns2. (ww.tcl.tk)

ob-jlang.el :: C'mon, there's nothing cooler than:
#+begin_src jlang :results output
a =. +/%$
echo a i. 10
#+end_src
:) This is org babel for JLanguage. This one is still in the works, but
it is functional. It has support for JConsole only (which makes sense).
(www.jsoftware.com)

For those curious enough, the code computes the average from 0 to 9.

ob-newlisp.el :: Why newlisp? Well, there's picolisp and other lisps
available. I use newlisp for a lot for system programming at home, so
there. Based on the ob-picolisp.el code. (www.newlisp.org)

Updated features. These I will post in the org-mode Github after I test them
thoroughly

org-e-groff.el ::

1. Ability to inline .PNG and JPEG. It wil use pngtopnm/pngtops or sam2p
for translating raster into Groff. But the process should be
automatic. This enables the use of ditaa on Groff exports. It is
controlled with a variable to allow disabling the feature if none of
these options are available.
2. Ability to resize pic images. Height and attributes are now available
for .pic images in addition to eps ones.

Luis R. Anaya
papo anaya aroba hot mail punto com
"Do not use 100 words if you can say it in 10" - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

* Re: Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-28 22:54     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2012-08-28 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Aloha Luis,

The babel documentation at
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html encourages
developers to take the steps necessary to include ob-* language support
in the Org mode core.

ob-mathomatic, ob-tcl, ob-jlang, and ob-newlisp sound like fine
additions to me.  I think they should be available from Org mode.

Maintenance seems always to be an issue.  Several language support files
currently lack a maintainer.  Would you be able to maintain those files
if they go into core?

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-29  1:17       ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-08-29  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Aloha Luis,

Aloha islander! :)

> The babel documentation at
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages.html encourages

Thanks a lot, I'll go through it.

> Maintenance seems always to be an issue.  Several language support files
> currently lack a maintainer.  Would you be able to maintain those files
> if they go into core?

This is a fair concern, for that I would say, yes, but I cannot predict
the future. My current job allows me to have side projects being there's
a lot of "hurry up and wait". (Tomorrow I'll be on hurry up mode :( )

With that said, my personal view is that ob-tcl should be included being
that is a common language used in many applications. I'm on the fence on
mathomatic being that there's already plenty alternatives, but I would
say yeah, sure.  These need to be cleaned up, hence I appreciate you
forwarding me the documentation link.

Number of line of code is fairly modest on these. Unless there are API
changes they should remain fairly stable after clean up. (IMHO).

Newlisp and JLang happen to be fairly fringe languages. (C'mon +/%# =
average?! :) ) and should belong to contrib, or be made available out of
org, which they can be maintained on a secondary basis for those who use
them.

My 2 cents...

--

@ 2012-08-29  9:43     ` Michael Brand
From: Michael Brand @ 2012-08-29  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Luis

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:14 AM, Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...] but for others I would like to get some
> feedback if these should be made available or not in the org-mode
> github, they're available on mine (https://github.com/papoanaya/emacs_utils)

Just a short feedback: My vote goes for ob-mathomatic.el that sounds
very interesting [1] to me.

Michael

[1] e. g. mathomatic.org: “there are no dependencies other than the
standard C libraries”

* Re: Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-30  4:55     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-30  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Luis,

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> I was interchanging emails with Bastien regarding some items I've been
> working on for the past few month in my spare time. Some will be posted
> into the development branch, but for others I would like to get some
> feedback if these should be made available or not in the org-mode
> github, they're available on mine (https://github.com/papoanaya/emacs_utils)

Can you send the link to the source code for each contribution?

E.g. In the "develop" branch, I've found this

https://github.com/papoanaya/emacs_utils/blob/develop/org-mom.el

but the first line says it's org-groff-mom.el...

> New items
>
> ob-mathomatic.el :: Babel mode for Mathomatic. Mathomatic is a CAS written
> in C. Very small and portable. I wrote it out of necessity being that my Atrix
> does not have enough drive space for anything too big.  It supports
> plotting via gnuplot. For more information go to.
> (www.mathomatic.org)

Looks useful.

> org-groff-mom.el :: Groff exporter using MOM's macros. This one is
> almost complete. (http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html)

How much duplicate code with org-e-groff.el?  If the amount is not
small, would it make sense to let org-e-groff.el know that the user
wants to use the MOM macros through a customizable option?  If the
files have the same user-base and share a lot of code, I guess we
should merge them somehow.

> org-platypus.el :: Exporter mode for Platypus. Platypus is a small
> typesetter written in java that is still in active development. Not
> something I would put in main yet being that there are missing features
> in the typesetter. (like no numbered headings!)
>
> But it is good enough to play with it. You can see the
> results at https://www.box.com/s/b02f017f0d8854c6cbdb
> (platypus.pz.org)

Great to see so many exporters :)

> ob-tcl.el :: I work with TCL daily, I just had to do it. It's a clone of
> the ob-perl.el one translated to TCL. This should also work with expect and
> ns2. (ww.tcl.tk)

This looks very useful.  Please share the code on this list when you
think it's ready for inclusion.

> ob-jlang.el :: C'mon, there's nothing cooler than:
> #+begin_src jlang :results output
> a =. +/%$
> echo a i. 10
> #+end_src
> :) This is org babel for JLanguage. This one is still in the works, but
> it is functional. It has support for JConsole only (which makes sense).
> (www.jsoftware.com)
>
> For those curious enough, the code computes the average from 0 to 9.
>
> ob-newlisp.el :: Why newlisp? Well, there's picolisp and other lisps
> available. I use newlisp for a lot for system programming at home, so
> there. Based on the ob-picolisp.el code. (www.newlisp.org)

Great.  I wonder why there is no Babel support for the Arc lisp
(http://paulgraham.com/arc.html) ...

> org-e-groff.el ::
>
> 1. Ability to inline .PNG and JPEG. It wil use pngtopnm/pngtops or sam2p
> for translating raster into Groff. But the process should be
> automatic. This enables the use of ditaa on Groff exports. It is
> controlled with a variable to allow disabling the feature if none of
> these options are available.
> 2. Ability to resize pic images. Height and attributes are now available
> for .pic images in addition to eps ones.

Wow.  Again, great!  I wish I had more documents (and less code) to
write to get more occasions to enjoy all these features :)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-30  4:57         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-30  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Thomas S. Dye

Hi Luis,

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> With that said, my personal view is that ob-tcl should be included being
> that is a common language used in many applications. I'm on the fence on
> mathomatic being that there's already plenty alternatives, but I would
> say yeah, sure.

Agreed.

> Newlisp and JLang happen to be fairly fringe languages. (C'mon +/%# =
> average?! :) ) and should belong to contrib

Agreed, too.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Features and stuff I've been working on.
@ 2012-08-30  8:45       ` Luis Anaya
From: Luis Anaya @ 2012-08-30  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> but the first line says it's org-groff-mom.el...

Yes, I need to clean that code up. That's why it's in the development
branch still.

>> org-groff-mom.el :: Groff exporter using MOM's macros. This one is
>> almost complete. (http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-01.html)
>
> How much duplicate code with org-e-groff.el?  If the amount is not
[chop...]
> should merge them somehow.

This would require some thought, but it has been on my radar. The reason
why this is tricky is because even though they both use
Groff, their behavior is different in some cases.

There are a lot of items that are shared among them, like tables fonts
and picture handling, but there are some constructs that have a totally
different behavior. Notably:

1. MM defines numbered headings with .H and unumbered with .HU. MOM asks
you to defined the type of heading you want at start.

2. MM terminates all constructs, MOM does not in some cases.
For example .DS C/DE for centralizing in MM but in MOM I have to specify
the next type of justification after a .CENTER which may not correspond
to the previous justification type.

3. Letter macros work slightly different, but not horrible. But MOM
letter macros are unforgiving on the order in which the Macros
are called in.

4. Font definitions are slightly different \fB vs \*[BOLD] but MOM
macros can use \fB just as well.

5. Colors are handled slightly different. MOM is a lot smarter on color
handling than MM, but MOM is ok with using Groff commands on colors.

The bottom line, considering that there's a lot of shared code, I think
it's doable to merge both, Now that I have a working MOM exporter I
should be able to accomodate for nuances on each set during merge.

> This looks very useful.  Please share the code on this list when you
> think it's ready for inclusion.
>

>> org-e-groff.el ::

I need to push this to Org's Git. I do not think I want to wait until I
go through the exercise of merging MOM and MM's sets into one file to
get that out of the door.

Now, back to bed. (allergies are killing me).

--
Luis Anaya

@ 2012-08-30  9:00         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-08-30  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Anaya; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Luis Anaya <papoanaya@hotmail.com> writes:

> I need to push this to Org's Git. I do not think I want to wait until I
> go through the exercise of merging MOM and MM's sets into one file to
> get that out of the door.

Sure.  And the merging is perhaps not called for, I was just wondering.

 Bastien