Sorry for being unclear, I'll try to rephrase what I am talking about. Bastien wrote: > So I guess you have (setq org-cycle-include-plain-lists nil), right? It is set to integrate, but I tested it and it does not seem to matter. > I'm not sure what "move to the parent level" really means here. Sorry, again. I am talking about "nested" plain lists: > - "Parent" level > - Initial level for new item > - At this point I created the empty item with M-RET. If I then press TAB, it demotes this item, which is also mentioned here: https://orgmode.org/org.html#Plain-Lists [1]. > - "Parent" level > - Initial level for new item > - So far, so good. But if I then press TAB again, we go back to this: > - "Parent" level > - Initial level for new item > - Whereas I would expect it to move the item to this position: > - "Parent" level > - Initial level for new item > - If it would do this, it would behave analogous to how it is implemented for headings, as described at https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-Editing.html#Structure-Editing [2]: > In a new entry with no text yet, the first TAB demotes the entry to become a child of the previous one. The next TAB makes it a parent, and so on, all the way to top level. Yet another TAB, and you are back to the initial level. I am using Emacs 26.3 on Windows and this behaviour replicated on a clean install. Thank you for your time! Links: ------ [1] https://orgmode.org/org.html#Plain-Lists [2] https://orgmode.org/manual/Structure-Editing.html#Structure-Editing