From: Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>
To: nicholas.dokos@hp.com
Cc: Bernt Hansen <bernt@norang.ca>, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>,
	Christopher DeMarco <demarco@maya.com>
Subject: Re: Re: Trouble setting variables in custom agenda command
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:49:19 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi,

wow, what a fantastic response to my request, thank
you all very much for contributing pieces to this puzzle.

There are several issues here.

1. Christopher did define his agenda command incorrectly (I know
    this variable is very complex... ).  You defined the command
    as a block agenda where in principle several agenda lists can
    be combined in a single view.  You can see this by setting
    org-agenda-custom-commands just to the single entry like Bernt
    did in his setup, and then try to customize this variable.

    A block agenda has *two* places where options can be stored.
    One set of options for just the individual command, and one
    set for for the block as a whole.  Things like
    org-agenda-start-with-column-view need to be set there, because
    they are only used in that final cleanup that happens in the
    second call to org-finalize-agenda, as Nick has described.

2. I had a bug for agenda series:  As Nick has pointed out,
    the agenda buffer is created and things like log-mode are set
    up before the options are scoped with let.  I have now fixed
    this, the buffer creation gets the *global* agenda series
    variables scoped as well.  Note: NOT the local ones.

Christopher, after getting the latest release with my fix,
there are now two possibilities how you can write
your command, to achieve what you wanted.

1. As this is only a single block, you can reformulate this
    as a single agenda command, not a series:

    (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
          '(("c" agenda nil
	    (
	     (org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%75ITEM %7Effort{:}
%7CLOCKSUM{Total} %15TAGS %SCHEDULED")
	     (org-agenda-view-columns-initially t)
	     (org-agenda-start-with-log-mode t)
	     (org-agenda-ndays 1)
	     (org-agenda-skip-function
	      '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp "\\* TODO"))))))

2. Keep it as a block in an agenda series, but then move the
    variables that are not specific for the block out:

    (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
          '(("c" "The Cycle"
             ((agenda
               ""
               ((org-agenda-ndays 1)
                (org-agenda-skip-function
                 '(org-agenda-skip-entry-if 'notregexp "\\* TODO")))))
             ((org-agenda-overriding-columns-format "%75ITEM
%7Effort{:} %7CLOCKSUM{Total} %15TAGS %SCHEDULED")
              (org-agenda-view-columns-initially t)
              (org-agenda-start-with-log-mode t)))))

    You may also move all the settings into the global options block
    in this case.

I do realize only now that the reason why you chose a block agenda
may have been so that you could give the command a name, which
is not possible in single commands.  I also realize now that
it was a mistake to not allow for a name also here.
But I am not sure if there is an easy way to fix this
without breaking legacy setups out there.

Thanks again to everyone.

If anyone has good proposals as to where to amend
the documentation in order to avoid this issue,
please let me know.

- Carsten