* newbie questions
@ 2009-04-06 11:04 Stathis Sideris
From: Stathis Sideris @ 2009-04-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I'm new to org mode (the bundling of ditaa made me aware of its
existence!), and having recently converted a relatively large volume
of notes from freemind, I'm now giving org mode a serious test drive.

I have three questions:

(1) Is there any way to make the column placement of org-ellipsis
consistent? It seems that the presence of tags in headings cause
org-ellipsis to be placed in the right-hand side which makes it easier
to miss when looking at an outline.

(2) Is there any way to make org-cycle skip the "show all" mode? That
would make it to just collapse/expand the children of the current
heading.

(3) Are there any plans to implement persistent tree expansion? For
example, it could be that org mode would somehow remember which
headings were expanded when you were last using an org file. Or being
able to go back to the previous state after you've created a sparse
tree using C-c /.

Thanks,

Stathis

* Newbie Questions
@ 2009-07-09 20:37 Andrew M. Nuxoll
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Andrew M. Nuxoll @ 2009-07-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Ok, newb here.  I have only been using org-mode for a few days now.  But
I've been an emacs guy since 1992, I have read the manual and I've also
searched the archive of this mailing list.  So, forgive me if these
questions are repeats.  Also, Dominick said you had to be nice to me
while he was away.

1.  When I view my agenda for a day it displays TODO items twice if they
are both SCHEDULED and DEADLINEd (a common occurrence for me).  Can this
be avoided?  Here's a generic example snippet from my agenda:
    Thursday    9 July 2009
      nux:        Scheduled:  TODO [#B] Call Mary :PROJECT::
      nux:        In   1 d.:  TODO [#B] Call Mary :PROJECT::

2.  Once a TODO item has been marked as DONE, it still shows up on my
agenda.  Can this be avoided?

Meta-Comments on Questions 1&2:  I realize I have the option of using
the "ToDo Items" agenda view instead of the day/week agenda view but
that doesn't work for me because I use the SCHEDULED property as a way
of selecting a small subset of tasks for the day from a long list of
TODO items.  I also rely heavily upon repeating tasks to automate most
of this.  So maybe the solution to #1 and #2 is to use a custom agenda
of some sort but I don't see an obvious way to create one that does what
I want.

3.  Once I set a deadline for a task, it'd be nice if the priority would
increase as the deadline approached.  Ideally the  criteria for
increasing the priority could be specified via a customizable formula.
Does this functionality (or anything like it) exist?

Thanks,
:AMN: