* Problems with inline source blocks
@ 2019-05-27 16:47 Christian Heinrich
From: Christian Heinrich @ 2019-05-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi everyone,

several issues with inline source blocks:

1) https://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-code-blocks.html states:

but https://orgmode.org/manual/Using-Header-Arguments.html#Using-Header-Arguments gives as example:

> src_haskell[:exports both]{fac 5}

Which one is true?

2) I cannot get the results of inline blocks to be exported.

When I have a file that contains:

> Test: src_R[:exports results]{4*4} {{{results(=16=)}}}

then the code is always exported but the results are only exported up to
623cc4625950f84442d4cde0faa9cc3ea0233283

but starting from 65ebb128bc380fe4795dedd655d6f7b685249842
the results macro is ignored and the result never appears.

Looking at online documentation (other projects) like
https://org-babel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/eval/#inline-code-blocks I realize that this may be a
problem in general (look at the Example sections, such as "The answer to 2 + 3 is .")

3) The source block never gets evaluated. I tried
src_sh{touch /tmp/test21.txt}

but this file doesn't get created, only when I execute it directly.

Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong, or is this actually a bug? I can't even get a basic
source block like

#+begin_src R :results output :session *R* :exports none
5*5
#+end_src

to ignore the code when exporting (but it's not evaluated).

Thanks!
Christian

* Re: Problems with inline source blocks
@ 2019-05-28 16:39 ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-05-28 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Heinrich; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

> Hi everyone,
>
> several issues with inline source blocks:

None of the behavior you cite is in the current master as of 28-may-2019:

4a383ee0f19a001b272097398b43312fc0655798

> 1) https://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-code-blocks.html states:
>
>> The :exports header arguments control exporting code blocks only and
>> not inline code:

No mention of inline blocks in 14.6 Exporting Code Blocks. I guess that web page needs to update or refers to something other than master.

> but https://orgmode.org/manual/Using-Header-Arguments.html#Using-Header-Arguments gives as example:
>
>> src_haskell[:exports both]{fac 5}
>
> Which one is true?

As you can verify with your test, header args do affect inline src blocks. I believe this is consistent with the current manual.

> 2) I cannot get the results of inline blocks to be exported.
>
> When I have a file that contains:
>
>> Test: src_R[:exports results]{4*4} {{{results(=16=)}}}

This worked for me when exporting to an ascii buffer.

There were some problems starting with 5f5d82ed516b7b385a9258271becbfa247e94af3, but these were fixed long ago.

> then the code is always exported but the results are only exported up to
> 623cc4625950f84442d4cde0faa9cc3ea0233283
>
> but starting from 65ebb128bc380fe4795dedd655d6f7b685249842
> the results macro is ignored and the result never appears.
>
> Looking at online documentation (other projects) like
> https://org-babel.readthedocs.io/en/latest/eval/#inline-code-blocks I realize that this may be a
> problem in general (look at the Example sections, such as "The answer to 2 + 3 is .")
>

> 3) The source block never gets evaluated. I tried
> src_sh{touch /tmp/test21.txt}
> but this file doesn't get created, only when I execute it directly.

I ran this and it produced the file:

src_sh{touch ~/test21.txt;echo "done"}

Without the echo, export fails as touch produces no result.

> Can anyone point out what I'm doing wrong, or is this actually a bug? I can't even get a basic
> source block like
>
> #+begin_src R :results output :session *R* :exports none
> 5*5
> #+end_src
>
> to ignore the code when exporting (but it's not evaluated).

In my test, the code is evaluated in the session, but no results are reported.

> Thanks!
> Christian

If I had to guess, I'd say there is something wrong with your installation.

If you think otherwise, an ECM that runs with only a minimal init file (that you specify) might be helpful.

HTH,

Chuck

* Outdated manual web pages left in place WAS: Re: Problems with inline source blocks
@ 2019-05-29  2:05   ` Berry, Charles
From: Berry, Charles @ 2019-05-29  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Berry, Charles; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, Christian Heinrich

The OP cited this web page:

https://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-code-blocks.html

but the link from https://orgmode.org/#docs

to the manual eventually leads this web page:

https://orgmode.org/manual/Exporting-Code-Blocks.html

which is different (note capitalization of "Code" and "Blocks").

I guess that capitalizing the words in the web page URL leaves the outdated page in place.

HTH,

Chuck