* recursive todo/checkbox statistics
@ 2009-05-18 22:11 Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2009-05-18 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Forgive me if there is an obvious way to do this that I haven't found.

Is there an easy way to calculate the total number of  tasks for a
file or a subtree?
For example, if the checkbox/todo progress cookie would calculate the
number of checkboxes/todos recursively for a subtree.

so that this:

* TODO heading 1 [1/3]
** DONE task A
** TODO task B
** TODO task C
*** TODO task C1
*** TODO task C2

would be this instead:

* TODO heading 1 [1/5]
** DONE task A
** TODO task B
** TODO task C
*** TODO task C1
*** TODO task C2

I would be fine with any other solution as well, it was just that it
seems closest to the checkbox/todo functionality.

Thanks you,

Alexander

* Re: recursive todo/checkbox statistics
@ 2009-05-19  6:40 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-19  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

We have had the same discussion recently about checkboxes,
and added a variable org-hierarchical-checkbox-statistics.

However, my personal view is that the outline hierarchy is
different, because if you are organizing tasks into a hierarchy,
so it does not make sense to add TODO's on different levels.

- Carsten

@ 2009-05-19 14:13   ` Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2009-05-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've now switched to following the development version because several
things that I've wanted have been implemented in the short time I've
been using org-mode already! And I was impressed with orgmode at the
outset...

I tried version 6.26trans, and the hierarchical checkbox statistics
works as expected. But I can't get the same behavior for TODO's. I
just wanted to check that this is correct - that I'm not doing
something wrong.

Maybe I should explain more what I use org-mode for in this case to
make things clearer. I use it to keep track of the readings I have to
do for a qualifying exam. I categorize the readings according to
topic, and then track the progress of each reading as a TODO. The
reason I want to be able to check the global number of readings is to
make sure that I'm keeping the right pace. The list is pretty long
(223 entries in ~20 topics), so it's cumbersome to do by hand.

This is a better representation of the file I use:

* readings [0/0]
  :PROPERTIES:
  :COOKIE_DATA: todo
  :END:
** topic a
*** TODO book 1
*** TODO book 2
** topic b
*** TODO article 1
*** TODO article 2
** topic c
*** TODO book 1
*** TODO article 2

So is it possible to have the cookie at the top count the TODO's at
the lower levels?

If not, it's not a big problem really - I can count them reasonably
using grep and wc, but it just seems like a combination of
hierarchical-checkbox-statistics and COOKIE_DATA: todo would do it?

Best,

Alexander

@ 2009-05-20  9:04     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-05-20  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Alexander,

in the latest git version you can do

(setq org-hierarchical-todo-statistics nil)

Or, if you want this only for specific trees, you can
set a property[1]

:COOKIE_DATA: todo recursive

HTH

- Carsten

[1] The "todo" part in the property is unnecessary if the
     entry does not have checkboxes

@ 2009-05-20 12:59       ` Alexander
       [not found]         ` <9A6ACF09-EEFE-4056-9C61-129CA83EC974@gmail.com>
From: Alexander @ 2009-05-20 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks!

It works great. However, I can't get it to work on a per-file basis, ie with:
#+COOKIE_DATA: recursive

It works fine for my purposes - I just set it on a per-tree basis, but
I don't know if this is desired behavior or not.

Best,

Alexander

@ 2009-05-21 12:11           ` Alexander
From: Alexander @ 2009-05-21 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Ah.

My bad. Of course that's not how to set the property.

#+PROPERTY: COOKIE_DATA recursive

works great.

Alexander