From: Denis Maier <denismaier@mailbox.org>
To: "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com>,
	"András Simonyi" <andras.simonyi@gmail.com>
Cc: org-mode-email <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: org-cite: make 'suppress-author' a citation 'style'
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 11:05:24 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 26.04.2021 um 09:53 schrieb Denis Maier:
> Hi,
>
> just some general remarks on that issue: I tend to think that treating
> "suppress-author" as a mode/style/command would indeed be appropriate.
> As the minus shorthand is inherited from pandoc, it might be worth
> pointing out that pandoc's syntax owes quite a lot to the markdown
> philosophy, which is also emphasized by pandoc:
>
>> Markdown is intended to be as easy-to-read and easy-to-write as is
> feasible.
>>
>> Readability, however, is emphasized above all else
> (https://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax#philosophy)
>
> That is, markdown tries to use a syntax as concise as possible, without
> verbose commands and such. See e.g. this discussion:
> https://groups.google.com/g/pandoc-discuss/c/ydG9CI_XEEU/m/3LHxvp23BAAJ
>
> The price for this is a certain opaqueness, and, to a certain degree, a
> loss of precision, expressiveness and extensibility.
>
> Anyway, back to the modes question:
>
> #+begin_example
> [@doe]
>
> [-@doe]
>
> @doe
>
> @doe [34]
>
> -@doe [34]
> #+end_example
>
> gives us in pandos AST:
>
> #+begin_pandoc_ast
> [Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [], citationMode = NormalCitation, citationNoteNum = 1,
> citationHash = 0}] [Str "[@doe]"]]
> ,Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [], citationMode = SuppressAuthor, citationNoteNum = 2,
> citationHash = 0}] [Str "[-@doe]"]]
> ,Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [], citationMode = AuthorInText, citationNoteNum = 3,
> citationHash = 0}] [Str "@doe"]]
> ,Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [Str "34"], citationMode = AuthorInText,
> citationNoteNum = 4, citationHash = 0}] [Str "@doe",Space,Str "[34]"]]
> ,Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
> citationSuffix = [Str "34"], citationMode = SuppressAuthor,
> citationNoteNum = 5, citationHash = 0}] [Str "@doe",Space,Str "[34]"]]]
> #+end_pandoc_ast
>
> So, suppress author is essentially a mode here.

Addendum:

[@doe; -@foo]

gives us:

[Para [Cite [Citation {citationId = "doe", citationPrefix = [],
citationSuffix = [], citationMode = NormalCitation, citationNoteNum = 1,
citationHash = 0},Citation {citationId = "foo", citationPrefix = [],
citationSuffix = [], citationMode = SuppressAuthor, citationNoteNum = 1,
citationHash = 0}] [Str "[@doe;",Space,Str "-@foo]"]]

So, each citation in that cite has an individual mode, which goes in the
direction indicated by Richard Lawrence in his earlier message. Maybe
that speaks for two levels of styles, one pertaining to the whole
citation group, one to the individual citations. Does that make sense?